Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Wikiposts

Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:15 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in Brisbane's Bayside - What's it like?

If you knew what Brisbane looked like back in the early 1800's when it was first settled I doubt that 90% of Brisbane would have houses on it! :scared:
No shit sherlock, did you take any photos

Early 1800s there was very close to bugger all here, in fact until the late 1800s there was still a discussion about whether Brisbane or Cleveland would be the main port. I think you are being a bit conservative (and also missing the point entirely), back in the 1800s probably 95% of the land built on now was bush or swamp, or farm.

The POINT is as they run out of decent land, they are building on really inappropriate land. I wouldn't buy a house on land formerly known as swamp.

Farms, chemicals yeah, yadda yadda yadda, if they are using them on the land, you're eating their produce, so you are as stuffed as us.

Just out of interest then, if you wouldn't buy a house on former swamp land, and you wouldn't buy a house on reclaimed land, and you wouldn't buy a house on former farm land. Where exactly would you buy a house?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:24 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
No shit sherlock, did you take any photos

Early 1800s there was very close to bugger all here, in fact until the late 1800s there was still a discussion about whether Brisbane or Cleveland would be the main port. I think you are being a bit conservative (and also missing the point entirely), back in the 1800s probably 95% of the land built on now was bush or swamp, or farm.

The POINT is as they run out of decent land, they are building on really inappropriate land. I wouldn't buy a house on land formerly known as swamp.

Farms, chemicals yeah, yadda yadda yadda, if they are using them on the land, you're eating their produce, so you are as stuffed as us.

Just out of interest then, if you wouldn't buy a house on former swamp land, and you wouldn't buy a house on reclaimed land, and you wouldn't buy a house on former farm land. Where exactly would you buy a house?
Ohh diddums, got your knickers in a knot there havent you ADL? .

They are certainly building on land that had previously been ignored but you have missed MY point entirely - there are hundreds of places in Brisbane that originally were probably what you want to call "swamp" that are now housing estates, & how exactly would you know? You even put in an offer on a house that was all originally *swamp*, but afterwards, you would never even know! After all a swamp is only a swamp cos its lowlying & somewhere that water tends to sit. Change the topography of the land &, unless theres some sort of underground spring, it is no longer a swamp. We arent talking about amazonian rainforest with quicksand here FGS. If houses are suddenly being sucked into the Black Lagoon, the state government & insurance companies are in for an awful shock with the billions of dollars in payouts & courtcases that will come flying their way.

And btw, Im not the one saying that I wouldnt buy a house here or there, you are! I'm not totally convinced about reclaimation & canal estates, but that's as far as it goes really.

Poor Ginny!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Just out of interest, didnt you buy in St Jamess Park?. The area alongside the Tingalpa Creek mangroves is hardly elevated.

WW
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:55 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Just out of interest, didnt you buy in St Jamess Park?. The area alongside the Tingalpa Creek mangroves is hardly elevated.

WW
Excuse me but its St James's's park . Yes we did, and no its not particularly elevated, but it wasn't previously a swamp either.

I'm sure if there is another repeat of 1974 St James's's's park will get flooded, but then so will alot of the rest of Brisbane. House insurance against flooding wasn't any more expensive than our current house which is on a hill.

ADL
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Excuse me but its St James's's park . ADL
L'O'L'
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

STOPPPPPPP ARGUEING please.
donna
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me but its St James's's park . Yes we did, and no its not particularly elevated, but it wasn't previously a swamp either.

I'm sure if there is another repeat of 1974 St James's's's park will get flooded, but then so will alot of the rest of Brisbane. House insurance against flooding wasn't any more expensive than our current house which is on a hill.

ADL
I think you should check your insurance policy ADL - most dont cover flood caused by a backup of water anymore (which the 1974 flood was) only flash flooding.

Donna - I learnt it from my kids
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

rayandjane is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Centurion
We trawled all the suburbs I think trying to find a place to live and we had friends in Wello Point. This probably set us against moving to where we did, but in the end there was nothing to compare to my mind. Boy did we try to find somewhere else to avoid stalking our mates

Bayside has a thriving population, excellent infrastructure when compared to some westerly or northern suburbs, the sea (I walk my dog in the surf), lower temperatures and those really important breezes and its 25km into the city.

Shops ? We have local shops, cafes and restaurants in Wello Point. Cleveland is big and has pretty much everything you could want. Vicky Point has a large shopping centre and push comes to shove you are relatively near the huge Carindale Centre.

What I dont like about it is that its mainly built out so you wont find large plots to build on and housing is expensive in some of the areas, comparatively to inland. I'd love acreage but its a trade off here.

The further south you go down the coast its slightly less expensive as you head toward Reddy Bay and Mount Cotton but thats heading further from Brisbane and the infrastructure (schools, shops public transport) has not had time to fully develop there but will explode in the next few years with the ongoing Brissy migrant influx I suspect.

All things said - I dont think I would want to live anywhere else
Good summary of Wello Pt. We got here in Sept 05 and stayed at Mrs Dagboys place in Birkdale. We rented for a while in Wello Pt and liked it so much that we've just bought a place here. We've had a good look round a fair few suburbs and Wello Pt wins each time.

The other good thing is the Cleveland Rail Line runs into town and you can get away with 1 car if you work anywhere near the city.

There must be quite a few of us in Wello Pt now. Rollingstone (Matt & Gill) got here just after us. Where are you in Wello Pt? (PM us if you like)
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I think you should check your insurance policy ADL - most dont cover flood caused by a backup of water anymore (which the 1974 flood was) only flash flooding.

Donna - I learnt it from my kids
The changes with flash flooding can about after NRMA claimed 'flooding' to some houses on a hillside after a severe storm at Wollongong. The water had come down the hill.

Looking around Salisbury, Graceville this AM it is pretty obvious that some parts of Brisbane are not going to cope well with any flash flooding yet alone a 1974 jobbie. The flash flooding at Stones Corner a few years back just after council finished the flood mitigation work is a classic. The infill development around Brisbane is replacing absorbative (sp?) ground with hard surfaces accelerating the run off. Drainage systems fill quckly, fail quicker causing flooding. As we are still in a drought, the Brisbane's entire drainage system has not been fully tested for at least 5 years.....

WW
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rayandjane
There must be quite a few of us in Wello Pt now. Rollingstone (Matt & Gill) got here just after us. Where are you in Wello Pt? (PM us if you like)
It's a good place for expat meetings too (reminder to myself for Friday )

Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:12 pm
ABCDiamond

As we are still in a drought, the Brisbane's entire drainage system has not been fully tested for at least 5 years.....

WW
Drought ? What drought ?

Oh.. sorry, I'm in the Redlands part of the Bayside
(The main Redlands dam overflowed the other day, and is still almost 100% full. But we do still have to abide by water restrictions )

Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:19 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by rayandjane
Good summary of Wello Pt. We got here in Sept 05 and stayed at Mrs Dagboys place in Birkdale. We rented for a while in Wello Pt and liked it so much that we've just bought a place here. We've had a good look round a fair few suburbs and Wello Pt wins each time.

The other good thing is the Cleveland Rail Line runs into town and you can get away with 1 car if you work anywhere near the city.

Hey guys, does this mean that you have already moved? If so our christmas card may not get to you .
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

The changes with flash flooding can about after NRMA claimed 'flooding' to some houses on a hillside after a severe storm at Wollongong. The water had come down the hill.

Looking around Salisbury, Graceville this AM it is pretty obvious that some parts of Brisbane are not going to cope well with any flash flooding yet alone a 1974 jobbie. The flash flooding at Stones Corner a few years back just after council finished the flood mitigation work is a classic. The infill development around Brisbane is replacing absorbative (sp?) ground with hard surfaces accelerating the run off. Drainage systems fill quckly, fail quicker causing flooding. As we are still in a drought, the Brisbane's entire drainage system has not been fully tested for at least 5 years.....

WW
Graceville, Salisbury, Sherwood, Corinda, Oxley all were swamped in the 74 floods. Our house in Plumer St Sherwood had water up to the tops of the window. My aunt's house in Haldane St Graceville had nothing but the very tip of the roof showing. They have now built houses both directly across from my aunts house (which used to be a horse paddock) & at the bottom of Plumer St (ditto).

And neither of those development applications are recent, so it cant be blamed on any recent govt or developers jumping on the bandwagon. The houses at the bottom of our street have been there for close on 20 years & the Haldane st ones must have been about 5 years after that.

I think the difference is that now we have Wivenhoe Dam (& hindsight!) the chances of another 74 flood are slim to non existant. Not to say we wont get flooding, but the extent of the 74 flood was astronomical. As you said, I'd be more worried about the flash flooding part, Brisbane has always been prone to it anyway (wish I had a dollar for everytime the road under the railway line at Rocklea has flooded ), we can only hope that it will cope for now & that the further infrastructure works will catch up.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Drought ? What drought ?

Oh.. sorry, I'm in the Redlands part of the Bayside
(The main Redlands dam overflowed the other day, and is still almost 100% full. But we do still have to abide by water restrictions )
2 small boys pi**ing against a tree would fill the Leslie Harrison Dam. They use that water for the northern end of the shire so I dont care

The cloud bursts we've had lately just make the grass grow.

It's the Somerset and other dams inland that are missing out as far as SEQ goes. Other rural communities are also badly affected.

A couple of good cyclones up north becoming rain depressions would do it for the whole east coast.

WW
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

2 small boys pi**ing against a tree would fill the Leslie Harrison Dam. They use that water for the northern end of the shire so I dont care

The cloud bursts we've had lately just make the grass grow.

It's the Somerset and other dams inland that are missing out as far as SEQ goes. Other rural communities are also badly affected.

A couple of good cyclones up north becoming rain depressions would do it for the whole east coast.

WW
Hey, you can't say that, its poured rain heaps of time in the last 6 months & as long as you don't look past the end of your suburb you'll fit right in!

And people say that the aussies have a "I'm OK, I dont give a jack about others" attitude

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.