Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lest we not forget

Lest we not forget

Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Lest we not forget

Well, here I am in England, working for a British company that did not observe the 2 minutes' silence and did not give employees the opportunity to do so.

Apparently some employees in certain offices around the country were able to negotiate for a 2 minutes' silence, but for the most part it was simply ignored.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:19 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lest we not forget

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well, here I am in England, working for a British company that did not observe the 2 minutes' silence and did not give employees the opportunity to do so.

Apparently some employees in certain offices around the country were able to negotiate for a 2 minutes' silence, but for the most part it was simply ignored.
Isnt that just pathetic ?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Lest we not forget

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Isnt that just pathetic ?
Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it, but I heartily endorse your sentiments.

As I said to my colleagues on our online company forum: "You'd think we could at least have our 2 min silence on the grounds of political correctness!"
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Lest we not forget

I had my own 2 minutes' silence at home before I came to work. Just as well I did, or I wouldn't have had it at all!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:28 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice

Its rememberance day here
Thank-You to all the men and woman who fought and died for freedom so that we can make simple choices in life such as post on internet forums or indeed migrate as we wish.
There are still those less fortunate, lets also remember them too.
Fabulous thread and fab replies, we do come from a caring country, even if it's not turning into one we like much anymore.....hence the desertion to Oz!! We are all proud to be British and will be when we are Down Under.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:39 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone at my work observed the 2 min silence (apart from the padre apparently which I think is bloody shocking!!)
Old Nov 11th 2005, 9:14 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Everyone at my work observed the 2 min silence (apart from the padre apparently which I think is bloody shocking!!)
A little strange, maybe god was talking to him at the time
Old Nov 11th 2005, 9:42 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids school had a special parade yesterday & a performance by the Police Pipes & Drums band. The headmaster said the parade went well, even if it was a couple of minutes later by the time they got all the kids organised & then quiet . Our boys wore their poppies proudly

Dagboy & I were actually in the car on the way to the CBD & turned the radio over to the ABC as I know they always observe the occasion & play the Last Post etc.

I dont think it really matters when you do it, as long as you spare a thought & pay your respects sometime.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 6:30 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

A little strange, maybe god was talking to him at the time
Hmm considering he works in a military environment and and he walked away when an Officer stopped to observe the silence to talk to someone else. You`re right maybe it was God in disguise as a cleaner
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:14 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Here's to my Dad, he served in the Royal Signals in WWII, i don't know the half of what he did and saw, although he speaks loads of what he did when he served i have heard from other family members that there are many things he will take to hs grave. He is 81 now and the war is still his main topic of conversation. To think that something that happened 60 years ago can still be so important to him gives us all an indication of how horrific and amazing the experience must have been.

My kids had a minutes silence at school and came home saying "we thought of grandpa" i drank a toast to him in the evening.

Good on ya Dad, you really are a hero.

Lynn
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Here's to my Dad, he served in the Royal Signals in WWII, i don't know the half of what he did and saw, although he speaks loads of what he did when he served i have heard from other family members that there are many things he will take to hs grave. He is 81 now and the war is still his main topic of conversation. To think that something that happened 60 years ago can still be so important to him gives us all an indication of how horrific and amazing the experience must have been.

My kids had a minutes silence at school and came home saying "we thought of grandpa" i drank a toast to him in the evening.

Good on ya Dad, you really are a hero.

Lynn
Lovely post Lynn, bet you're proud, your children too.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I need to know the name of the company so I never buy any of their products again.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:39 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Its rememberance day here
Thank-You to all the men and woman who fought and died for freedom so that we can make simple choices in life such as post on internet forums or indeed migrate as we wish.
There are still those less fortunate, lets also remember them too.
In the wake of Anzac Day 2001, may I crave space to rectify a misapplied famous line "Lest we forget." In fact, Rudyard Kipling addressed his hymn-poem to God; it was not applied to those fallen in war. It was written to correct vain boasting after victory. Fr Eustace Boylan SJ, a former editor of the Australian Sacred Heart Messenger thought highly of it. To quote one stanza from many:

"The tumult and the shouting dies,
The Captains and the the Kings depart.
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice
A humble and a contrite heart.
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet
Lest we forget. Lest we forget."

it was not - LEST NOT WE FORGET, which is a double negative!

I stand for all that is stated in this thread, but get it right!