British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Lest we not forget (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/lest-we-not-forget-336747/)

Luke I Amyofath Nov 10th 2005 8:14 pm

Lest we not forget

Its rememberance day here
Thank-You to all the men and woman who fought and died for freedom so that we can make simple choices in life such as post on internet forums or indeed migrate as we wish.
There are still those less fortunate, lets also remember them too.

Nice Guy Nov 10th 2005 8:15 pm

Re: Lest we not forget

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Thank-You to all the men and woman who fought and died for freedom so that we can make simple choices in life such as post on internet forums or indeed migrate as we wish.

Here here.

Anne4Terry Nov 10th 2005 8:15 pm

Couldn't agree more. It is the past that moulds us into the people we are today.

jond Nov 10th 2005 8:16 pm

Well done, my thoughts exactly

Shaun&Dee Nov 10th 2005 8:22 pm

Every single one a hero.

Sleeping Beauty Nov 10th 2005 8:23 pm

i think as you get older, you appreciate what these people did for you and your country more. i get quite emotional now about it.

god bless all those that perished, and also all those that fought and survived, and lived to tell us their stories.
xx

Vash the Stampede Nov 10th 2005 8:25 pm

Amen to that! :)

My maternal grandfather (a Norfolk man) was the gunnery officer on the submarine HMS Taciturn, while my paternal grandfather was a member of the occupying forces in Germany at the end of WWII.

Both were British, of course; though my paternal grandfather was Irish, while my maternal grandfather was English. :)

debbiemc Nov 10th 2005 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i think as you get older, you appreciate what these people did for you and your country more. i get quite emotional now about it.

god bless all those that perished, and also all those that fought and survived, and lived to tell us their stories.
xx

couldnt agree more, but i think its also important that we dont forget all the men and women that have died for their countries during more recent times too.

debbie

robos Nov 10th 2005 8:27 pm

Ditto

Sleeping Beauty Nov 10th 2005 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by debbiemc
couldnt agree more, but i think its also important that we dont forget all the men and women that have died for their countries during more recent times too.

debbie

very true :(

debbiemc Nov 10th 2005 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
very true :(

i was watching 'this morning ' this morning i think otr was it yesterday :confused: and there was a young woman with her daughter who lost her hubby 18 months ago and she was saying that before he had died she always thought of poppy day commemorating the loss our 1st and 2nd ww soldiers and didnt really consider recent times. It hit me that i was the same!

she was talking about how the soldiers who were about to go out to fight in iraq had to write letters to their loved ones 'just in case'!! in her case, she got the letter, it was heart rendering!

robos Nov 10th 2005 8:45 pm

poppy day reminds us of all soldiers that defend our country past and present

they are always in our thoughts

jan xx

Jimclevs Nov 10th 2005 8:46 pm

As an ex member of the Royal Navy - 25 years - today, for me, is one of the most relevant days of the year. I lost good mates along the way - some in active service and others in accidents.

Thank you for this thread.

Regards

Jim

debbiemc Nov 10th 2005 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
As an ex member of the Royal Navy - 25 years - today, for me, is one of the most relevant days of the year. I lost good mates along the way - some in active service and others in accidents.

Regards

Jim

no, thank you jim

robos Nov 10th 2005 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jimclevs

Regards

Jim

most fantastic people ever hats off to all of the brave men and women of all the wars

jan xx