Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lest we not forget

Lest we not forget

Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:24 am
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Lest we forget

Just at work and a little disgusted no one did the 2 minutes silence. I did my own and just ignored people who tried to talk to me.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:27 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lest we forget

Originally Posted by seang
If you are able,
save them a place
inside of you
and save one backward glance
when you are leaving
for the places they can
no longer go.
Be not ashamed to say
you loved them,
though you may
or may not have always.
Take what they have left
and what they have taught you
with their dying
and keep it with your own.
And in that time
when men decide and feel safe
to call the war insane,
take one moment to embrace
those gentle heroes
you left behind.

–Major Michael Davis O’Donnell
1 January 1970
Very moving, thank-you,
Ive posted this somewhere else on BE but for a different reason. Its the Furey's song called "the green fields of france" A song that says many things about war:

How do you do young Willie McBride,
Do you mind if I sit here down by your graveside,
And rest for a while 'neath the warm Summer sun,
I've been walking all day and I'm nearly done
I see by your gravestone you were only 19
when you joined the great fall-in in 1916
I hope you died well and I hope you died clean
Or young Willie McBride was it slow and obscene.

Did they beat the drum slowly did they play the fife lowly
Did they sound the death march as they lowered you down
Did the band play the Last Post and Chorus
Did the pipes play the Flowers of the Forest

Did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind
In some faithful heart is your memory enshrined
Although you died back in 1916
In that faithful heart are you forever 19
Or are you a stranger without even a name
Enclosed then forever behind a glass frame
In an old photograph torn, battered and stained
And faded to yellow in a brown leather frame.

The sun now it shines on the green fields of France
There's a warm summer breeze makes the red poppies dance
And look how the sun shines from under the clouds
There's no gas, no barbwire, there's no guns firing now
But here in this graveyard it's still no man's land
the countless white crosses stand mute in the sand
To man's blind indifference to his fellow man
To a whole generation that were butchered and damned.

Now young Willie McBride I can't help wonder why
Do those who lie here know why did they die
Did they believe when they answered the call
Did they really believe that this war would end wars
Well the sorrow, the suffering, the glory, the pain
The killing and the dying were all done in vain
For young Willie McBride it all happened again,
And again and again and again and again

I find the song quite prolific personally
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lest we not forget

I would like to remember my grandfather who died in the trenches on 19th May 1915 and my father who served in India in the 2nd world war and died 7th July 1970, both sadly missed.

Elaine x
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:34 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Its rememberance day here
Thank-You to all the men and woman who fought and died for freedom so that we can make simple choices in life such as post on internet forums or indeed migrate as we wish.
There are still those less fortunate, lets also remember them too.
Nice thread, Luke..good on ya

Lest we forget.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Nice thread.

We had our silence outside the Town Hall, I was suprised this year as all the buses and cars stopped, and nobody tooted. Lest We Forget.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:48 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elaine&graham
I would like to remember my grandfather who died in the trenches on 19th May 1915 and my father who served in India in the 2nd world war and died 7th July 1970, both sadly missed.

Elaine x
Elaine, you and youre family must be very proud to have helped give us the lives we have now.

Neil
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future

Elaine, you and youre family must be very proud to have helped give us the lives we have now.

Neil
Thanks Neil' you made me cry. Yes we are proud but sad that these awful atrocities are still happening all over the world.

Elaine xxx
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steandleigh
I was saddened to realise this morning when I looked at the calendar that theres been hardly any mention of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month up here.

I appreciate ANZAC day is a big day of remebrance here for the fallen.

So how proud I was to hear my son had mentioned it to his teacher this morning and they had 2 minutes silence in the classroom at 11am.

My son is 7.

We only forget if we allow ourselves to and if we don't teach our children what our forefathers fought so bravely for.
Well done your son, and well done everyone who observed the 2 minutes silence.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:52 am
Banned

I forget the movie based on actual events during ww2, perhaps someone could remind me. ww2 germans and brits at xmas time, against higher ups the men show some humanity and christmas spirit and get together.

Means a lot to me since we are all (afterall) just humans. Its not our fault that politics makes wars, yet we are grateful (and should be) of democracy.

anyway, whats the movie ?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Lest we forget

Very moving, thank-you,
Ive posted this somewhere else on BE but for a different reason. Its the Furey's song called "the green fields of france" A song that says many things about war:

How do you do young Willie McBride,
Do you mind if I sit here down by your graveside,
And rest for a while 'neath the warm Summer sun,
I've been walking all day and I'm nearly done
I see by your gravestone you were only 19
when you joined the great fall-in in 1916
I hope you died well and I hope you died clean
Or young Willie McBride was it slow and obscene.

Did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind
In some faithful heart is your memory enshrined
Although you died back in 1916
In that faithful heart are you forever 19
Or are you a stranger without even a name
Enclosed then forever behind a glass frame
In an old photograph torn, battered and stained
And faded to yellow in a brown leather frame.

The sun now it shines on the green fields of France
There's a warm summer breeze makes the red poppies dance
And look how the sun shines from under the clouds
There's no gas, no barbwire, there's no guns firing now
But here in this graveyard it's still no man's land
the countless white crosses stand mute in the sand
To man's blind indifference to his fellow man
To a whole generation that were butchered and damned.

Now young Willie McBride I can't help wonder why
Do those who lie here know why did they die
Did they believe when they answered the call
Did they really believe that this war would end wars
Well the sorrow, the suffering, the glory, the pain
The killing and the dying were all done in vain
For young Willie McBride it all happened again,
And again and again and again and again

I find the song quite prolific personally
Oh please don't, you'll make me cry!

I love that song, and the Fureys sing it beautifully! The music is just so powerful and haunting...

Karma sent!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Lest we not forget

The most unnerving observation I made today here in Australia was that I couldnt find one single mention of rememberance day in my daily paper (sydney daily telegraph).
I realise that ozzies have anzac day in april, maybe I was expecting too much to see something in the paper.
I can't account for the SDT's omission, but I can assure Brits on this forum that the 11th of the 11th is a very big day in Australia:

Click here for the full article.
    Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:19 pm
    small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I forget the movie based on actual events during ww2, perhaps someone could remind me. ww2 germans and brits at xmas time, against higher ups the men show some humanity and christmas spirit and get together.

Means a lot to me since we are all (afterall) just humans. Its not our fault that politics makes wars, yet we are grateful (and should be) of democracy.

anyway, whats the movie ?
    Think it was world war one (December 1914). A few movies but the latest is coming out this christmas as Joyeux Noel.
    Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:22 pm
    Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

I also think that everyone if at all possible should try to visit one of the war cemeteries in France - we went to a huge one near Bayeaux last year and it was just gravestones and crosses as far as the eye could see, and an eerie silence. Some of the graves were of "unknowns" which was heartbreaking, and there was a clip from a newspaper on a grave which showed a picture of 3 lads aged between 18-21 being interviewed saying that they were proud to be going to fight for their country. The graves that the clipping was on were dated just 2 months later.

It will stay with me forever, the huge sacrifice these men, and often only just boys, made.

Debbie
    Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:56 pm
    sme
    ......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Secretsquirral
    I also think that everyone if at all possible should try to visit one of the war cemeteries in France - we went to a huge one near Bayeaux last year and it was just gravestones and crosses as far as the eye could see, and an eerie silence. Some of the graves were of "unknowns" which was heartbreaking, and there was a clip from a newspaper on a grave which showed a picture of 3 lads aged between 18-21 being interviewed saying that they were proud to be going to fight for their country. The graves that the clipping was on were dated just 2 months later.

It will stay with me forever, the huge sacrifice these men, and often only just boys, made.

Debbie
    Very graphic reminder of how much we owe to these men and women.

Only 4 survivors left of the 1st WW I believe - a very moving documenary shown on the BBC earlier this week with the second part at the beginning of next brought me down to earth regarding how insignificant my emigration/moving woes are.

Gillian
    Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:01 pm
    small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
    Very graphic reminder of how much we owe to these men and women.

Only 4 survivors left of the 1st WW I believe - a very moving documenary shown on the BBC earlier this week with the second part at the beginning of next brought me down to earth regarding how insignificant my emigration/moving woes are.

Gillian
    I posted about it earlier - well worth a look - here is the web site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.