Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving before exchange

Leaving before exchange

Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:19 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 83
aarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really nice
Default Leaving before exchange

Just wondered if anyone has emmigrated after their house buyer's survey? I know it's best to wait 'till the exchange but I just don't think I can wait. Especially as winter is looming!
aarancam is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 4:46 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 109
tonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Originally Posted by aarancam
Just wondered if anyone has emmigrated after their house buyer's survey? I know it's best to wait 'till the exchange but I just don't think I can wait. Especially as winter is looming!
I have just accepted an offer on my house and I leave in less than 4 weeks. My solicitor said that I can either make one of my parents power of attorney (for a charge of £75) to handle anything that needs attention after I leave or he said I can come in and sign all the papers before I go and then do everything else via email.

Hope that helps.
tonik25 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:26 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 83
aarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really nice
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Originally Posted by tonik25
I have just accepted an offer on my house and I leave in less than 4 weeks. My solicitor said that I can either make one of my parents power of attorney (for a charge of £75) to handle anything that needs attention after I leave or he said I can come in and sign all the papers before I go and then do everything else via email.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that. That's exactly what I want to do but my Mum says 'you can't move till you exchange in case it all falls through,' and you can never be sure etc. It's a risk but the choice is November/December here or in Oz, and I know which I prefer. I suppose if the sale falls through it will mean paying another 3 months mortgage untill it sells again. Sod it I'm off!!!!!!!
aarancam is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:34 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
kitty4's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: QLD
Posts: 797
kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Originally Posted by tonik25
I have just accepted an offer on my house and I leave in less than 4 weeks. My solicitor said that I can either make one of my parents power of attorney (for a charge of £75) to handle anything that needs attention after I leave or he said I can come in and sign all the papers before I go and then do everything else via email.

Hope that helps.

We'd like to do that when our buyers get a buyer and it is all ready to go through. We've had the offer 3 months ago, but the buyers buyer pulled out last week, so they've got to get another. I've got to go in a couple of weeks but hubby will have to stay because of looking after the place and signing things. What can we sign before we are both out in Oz and what can be done by email? I'm a house selling first timer, so I'm not sure and my solicitor doesn't seem forthcoming with information unless we chase her. If I can approach her with a plan, such as yours, hubby might not be too far behind if things get a move on.
Cheers
kitty4 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:50 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 109
tonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Originally Posted by kitty4
We'd like to do that when our buyers get a buyer and it is all ready to go through. We've had the offer 3 months ago, but the buyers buyer pulled out last week, so they've got to get another. I've got to go in a couple of weeks but hubby will have to stay because of looking after the place and signing things. What can we sign before we are both out in Oz and what can be done by email? I'm a house selling first timer, so I'm not sure and my solicitor doesn't seem forthcoming with information unless we chase her. If I can approach her with a plan, such as yours, hubby might not be too far behind if things get a move on.
Cheers
My situation is a bit more simple than yours, the house I have accepted an offer on is not the house I live in but an investment property (which is currently empty). The guy who is buying the house is also an investor and has a mortgage already arranged so there is no chain. I think if I was in a chain I would be slightly more worried as I wouldn't relish the prospect of not knowing how long I would be paying the mortgage for. Bearing in mind that if you do not have a job lined up in Oz for you to walk in to any additional mortgage payments are going to serisouly eat into your savings.

My solicitor is really young and is great over email, he usually answers emails within the hour but I know that most other solicitors that I have come across are a bit more traditional so you might struggle to get some to deal with you over email.

PM me if you want more info.
tonik25 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 5:56 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
mels123's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Maple Ridge, BC
Posts: 265
mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Originally Posted by kitty4
We'd like to do that when our buyers get a buyer and it is all ready to go through. We've had the offer 3 months ago, but the buyers buyer pulled out last week, so they've got to get another. I've got to go in a couple of weeks but hubby will have to stay because of looking after the place and signing things. What can we sign before we are both out in Oz and what can be done by email? I'm a house selling first timer, so I'm not sure and my solicitor doesn't seem forthcoming with information unless we chase her. If I can approach her with a plan, such as yours, hubby might not be too far behind if things get a move on.
Cheers
We're doing the same, the survey has been done and all came back fine, but we are having a few problems as our house is leasehold. However, we have decided to book the flights anyway. This is our second sale since July and we are fed up of waiting and stressing all the time as my hubby has a job to start in Canada. Apparently you can give your solicitor power of attorney before you leave so that they can sign on your behalf. They can still contact you via email while you are out the country. We have already signed the contract and I think we need to sign the transfer deed which is produced by the buyers' solicitor.

HTH

Mel
mels123 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:11 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
kitty4's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: QLD
Posts: 797
kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Thanks mels123 and thanks tonik25 - have pm'd you.

Gives me a lot more to think about.

We are confident our buyers will complete when they can - not their fault their buyer pulled out I suppose, so going by what you say, we could get contracts signed soon at least, just feel a bit wary, as the time it takes for them to get another buyer is like the question - how long is a piece of string?.

Need to get as much done as possible.

Cheers
kitty4 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:34 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
mels123's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Maple Ridge, BC
Posts: 265
mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Originally Posted by kitty4
Thanks mels123 and thanks tonik25 - have pm'd you.

Gives me a lot more to think about.

We are confident our buyers will complete when they can - not their fault their buyer pulled out I suppose, so going by what you say, we could get contracts signed soon at least, just feel a bit wary, as the time it takes for them to get another buyer is like the question - how long is a piece of string?.

Need to get as much done as possible.

Cheers
If you can afford to pay mortgage and rent for a few months until it completes, you may as leave it in the hands of the solicitors and estate agents. Our estate agent is very good and never gives our buyers a moments peace, so we're quite confident it will complete eventually. We just want to get settled for Christmas and then look for a property to buy in the New Year.

Go for it if you have confidence in your solicitor

Good luck
mels123 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:35 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 155
foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Hi,

We haven't exchanged yet (or had the survey!) but leave next week!!

We are signing power of attorney to one of my parents, but hopefully they won't have to do anything and we'll sign stuff in advance.

We are living for free with relatives in Oz, so we're lucky that we can go and get minimum wage jobs and live cheaply until our house money comes through.

We are 99% sure the buyers won't pull out. They got a good price and have already given us cash for some furniture we're leaving behind.

I have no regrets!!
Gemma
foxall22 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 6:56 pm
  #10  
An Official Visa Holder
 
toon williams's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 999
toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Not so sure I would be as brave as you lot!! Whilst we have sold to what appear a really nice couple and fingers crossed it all goes through, my experience with house selling is that you just never know until they sign on that line!!

I hope it all swings in the right way for you all!!
toon williams is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:12 pm
  #11  
s**t rolls down hill
 
sparks124's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Currimundi, Sunshine Coast
Posts: 490
sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

Originally Posted by aarancam
Thanks for that. That's exactly what I want to do but my Mum says 'you can't move till you exchange in case it all falls through,' and you can never be sure etc. It's a risk but the choice is November/December here or in Oz, and I know which I prefer. I suppose if the sale falls through it will mean paying another 3 months mortgage untill it sells again. Sod it I'm off!!!!!!!
don't want to frighten you, but.
look here.
sparks124 is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:56 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 39
jemma_howle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving before exchange

my parents left 2 weeks ago (we go soon!) but they had not exchanged. survey done on friday, and they have managed it all for oz, via email and phone. i go down to check the house is still standing every now and then!! they have found it easy, well as easy as house moving is let along moving to the other side of the world!!
jemma_howle is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.