Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying from Glasgow to Melbourne - questions

Flying from Glasgow to Melbourne - questions

Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of
Default Flying from Glasgow to Melbourne - questions

I need some help with a few questions.

Hoping to fly mid January (2 + 2), with hopefully a stopover of a few days in either Dubai or Singapore (it seems a waste to travel to these place only to spend a few hours in the airport). I've been searching online and the cheapest flights I can find (going straight there - no stopover) are £1750 from Qantas (via Expedia) and £2200 from Emirates (via Ebookers).

1. do Qantas and Emirates allow the 40Kg baggage allowance?
2. if I book flights via a screenscraper or other 3rd party (like Expedia), how do I arrange the extra baggage allowance from the airline?

When looking at stopovers, I can only seem to find flights directly from the airlines. These are then very expensive (the flights cost alone from Qantas is over £3000) and only seem to be arranged from London.

4. can anyone recommend any other (better) ways of checking out stop over deals that are reasonably priced and can be from Glasgow.
5. going back to the baggage thing, is there any way of maintaining the extra allowance if, say, you booked a package from London and then separately booked flights from Glasgow to London from a different airline. There's no point in having the extra weight in London if you can't get the stuff on the plane in Glasgow).
6. if I do arrange a stopover deal, what's the best way to arrange for hotels for the couple of days?

Any responses appreciated.

David
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:00 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying from Glasgow to Melbourne - questions

Are those return flights your looking at?? Hope so!!
Check out austravel for cheaper flights.
I'm also hoping to fly from Glasgow. It'll be end of Jan/early Feb. I've looked at Singapore airlines via Austravel and found between £321 and £720 priced flights with them for that time!

If your flying with Singapore Airlines, email them before hand to get confirmation that you have the increased baggage allowance through EACH SECTOR ( ie GLA-SING and SING-MEL )This is REALLY important that you get the confirmation email stating exactly this, or else you'll get it for GLA-SING when you stop off for a few days, but then have to pay extra baggage on the rest when you go to check in at SING. Nightmare stuff, there was a post on this recently.

*pearly*
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:03 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. Have you tried trailfinders in Glasgow????? There doing a deal just now with stop over in Singapore for £139 for three nights hotel.
If not, just do a search for Singapore hotels on Google. I did the last time I was in Melbourne and got a really nice one near Orchard Rd ( shopping heaven ) Dead simplle,all you do is jump a pre-paid taxi or mini-bus ( in the arrivals hall )and take the slip out to the driver - and VOILA!! He takes you to the hotel.
EASY.

*pearly*
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of

Thanks Pearly

Any idea how I would go about confirming the baggage allowance with the airline BEFORE booking through Expedia?

David
Old Oct 10th 2006, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Sanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant future

We have just arrived from Glasgow 3 weeks ago. Glas-Heathrow,Singapore, Melbourne. We did not have a stop over came straight here. I think the problem with allowance is if you have a stopover. We booked via Austravel who were a bit reluctant to give us any confirmation of 40kgs each 2 adults and 2 children as we did not book an immigration flight which would have cost an extra 1000 pounds. I contacted BA and Singapore Airlines who both said luggage allowance on tickets was 40kgs each. Our luggage left Glasgow and we did not see it until Melbourne although if you stop over you need to collect it at Singapore. We also flew economy with 2 kids, 11 and 5. Eldest is an adult size youngest ok. Remember to ask for kids meals at airport we thought it was ok because Austravel had asked the kids ages but no kids meals on any flight. Ok if they liked oriental food but ours didn't. Cabin crew lovely and gave them snacks. If you can afford it see how much Business class is just for the space factor, I know if we had to do it again we would sacrifice something and go business class. Lot of money though. We were 2500 pounds for 4 of us flight on 18th September.

Sorry it's so long winded just our experience. Best place to find out would be the airlines which ever one you are thinking of using. Give both a call and tell them what you looking for.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road

get things in writing

I´ve been told in no uncertain terms that if i were to stay in singapore for more than 24 hours (or indeed any airport), I will not get the 40Kg allowance.

so, i´ll save tthe stopovers for another time!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

jeffblockley is an unknown quantity at this point

We are flying from Glasgow to Perth via Dubai with Emiraites on th 20th Jan they will not give you 40kg if you are doing a stopover we booked our flights with a stopover then called them for their fax number to fax a copy of our visas they then said you cannot have your 40kg allowance if your are doing a stopover we then had to cancel the flights then rebook without a stopover.

Jeff
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Looks like the stopover will have to wait, the wife's planning to have everything and the kitchen sink in the suitcases.

The Austravel prices seem to be around £2500 for mid Jan (that's when the website tells you the flights are available.)

I'm still unsure about 2 things.

Do Qantas give you the 40kgs allowance?
Will you still get this allowance from Qantas if you book via Expedia? If yes, how would you arrange this?

Thanks David
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there just popped into say ,we to are flying jan, from glasgow to melbourne, perhaps yirself,pearl and i will be on the same flinghts :scared:
I really wanted a stopover to, but looks like it will really complicate things
Old Oct 14th 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Flying from Glasgow to Melbourne - questions

Originally Posted by pippin lara
I need some help with a few questions.

Hoping to fly mid January (2 + 2), with hopefully a stopover of a few days in either Dubai or Singapore (it seems a waste to travel to these place only to spend a few hours in the airport). I've been searching online and the cheapest flights I can find (going straight there - no stopover) are £1750 from Qantas (via Expedia) and £2200 from Emirates (via Ebookers).

1. do Qantas and Emirates allow the 40Kg baggage allowance?
2. if I book flights via a screenscraper or other 3rd party (like Expedia), how do I arrange the extra baggage allowance from the airline?

When looking at stopovers, I can only seem to find flights directly from the airlines. These are then very expensive (the flights cost alone from Qantas is over £3000) and only seem to be arranged from London. Have you checked prices for feb/mar.......seem much cheaper.

4. can anyone recommend any other (better) ways of checking out stop over deals that are reasonably priced and can be from Glasgow.
5. going back to the baggage thing, is there any way of maintaining the extra allowance if, say, you booked a package from London and then separately booked flights from Glasgow to London from a different airline. There's no point in having the extra weight in London if you can't get the stuff on the plane in Glasgow).
6. if I do arrange a stopover deal, what's the best way to arrange for hotels for the couple of days?

Any responses appreciated.

David
Have you booked your flight yet? Been on various websites and got quotes for £500 or there abouts. When are you planning to fly? Living two minutes down the road from you in Clarkston.

Last edited by brissydeb; Oct 14th 2006 at 11:50 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Have you booked your flight yet? Been on various websites and got quotes for £500 or there abouts. When are you planning to fly? Living two minutes down the road from you in Clarkston.
Been having some PC problems, so haven't booked anything yet. Popped into local travel agents and was quoted £2500 flying with Emirates. They allowed a stopover for relatively little extra cash, so long as it's in DuDubaiFor Singapore it was an extra £300 each (something to do with DubDubaiing their 'hub'). Hotel fees of approx £600 for 3 nights, although I haven't checked this out myself yet. The travel agent confirmed the baggage allowance for Qantas and Emirates would be 32kg, but I haven't been able to get Expedia to confirm the baggage allowance on their flights for £1750.

The house sale seems to be going along very quickly, so I think I might book the flights over the next few days - but I'm beginning to think the idea of a stopover might not be worth it for now. It's maybe something we should organise on one of our return visits.

David