Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At last something positive to say about Australia

At last something positive to say about Australia

Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:13 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At last something positive to say about Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
It was a bit of a mess to start with but its starting to look a bit better now, so yes I am working it. Being kept busy is not a problem as I'm never bored. Having land is not the be all and end all as I've discovered. Its where the land is thats far more important.
Sorry to be so nosey but do you have plans for your farm ie: having livestock etc or crops ?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:31 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Sorry to be so nosey but do you have plans for your farm ie: having livestock etc or crops ?
Thats ok, sticky beak away Yes we are breeding Alpacas! the land is too big just for that though so I'm thinking of growing a mac nut orchard too. I notice your strap line is "shutting down my life". Top line and very apt, I went through the exact same life shutdown before we came here and ironically when it was all gone and shut down I was at my most happiest! Then I came here

Last edited by arkon; Sep 9th 2005 at 3:34 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:00 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Thats ok, sticky beak away Yes we are breeding Alpacas! the land is too big just for that though so I'm thinking of growing a mac nut orchard too.

Thats great... personally, I would swap for horses but... ... the jealousy I feel is ... well.... ok ... as I now have the green light - what age bracket do you fall into no fibbing now .... do you wish you had bought a smaller acreage ? or do you regret buying the acreage ?

I'm sure you really wouldn't have guessed but I would love to have the hobby farm thing. 15 - 20 acres would be perfect but OH wants to be near the beach ... all on a budget so I am hunting the happy medium Perth side BUT and there is always the but ... I am having the ebiegeebies about the acreage dream and the hassle that comes with land owning. I am beginning to think keeping a gap of say 2 acres between us and the neighbours (need gap for my sanity) would be better for the kids ...

BTW as I have said before on the forum... I like to read the negative posts as much as the positive to see what would/would not be relevant to our circumstances/life. Arkon I appreciate your honesty and that of others who have found it to not be what they hoped it would be.

I hope you you find what you truly want wherever that is.... wish you were in Perth could have swapped for Alvechurch
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:13 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Smile Re: At last something positive to say about Australia

I'm not asking people what I should like about OZ but what you like about it. I know what I don't like about it, but I'm finding very few people willing to actually give a big list of what THEY like about it. Its like people come here and HAVE to like it wart an all. And when pushed for what they like about it you always get the same answer, weather and beaches! So come on OZ stop being shy and tell me what you like about the place.
In no particular order

beaches
mountains
beautiful sunsets
fantastic sunrises
friendly people-most people who would give you the shirt off their back if you ask them to
less stress
more space
the outback
the weather
straight forward talking-say it as it is
air conditioning on trains and buses
less people
amazing wildlife
diverse countryside
can walk around barefoot in supermarket without someone looking at you like you have just arrived from mars
cleaner streets-hence the walking around barefoot
patriotism
steve irwin (ok..joke)
sport

just a few to start with
Old Sep 9th 2005, 9:31 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

This is what happens when people believe all the hype and move out here to oz with their "rose tinty's" on. Then when they have finally arrived and actually lived here for a while, the "I'm on holiday" mode wears off and it is realised that Australia has much the same social and economic issues that they might have been trying to escape from in the UK.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 9:38 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

Originally Posted by NJJ
This is what happens when people believe all the hype and move out here to oz with their "rose tinty's" on. Then when they have finally arrived and actually lived here for a while, the "I'm on holiday" mode wears off and it is realised that Australia has much the same social and economic issues that they might have been trying to escape from in the UK.
as long as that wasnt aimed at me as I have spent 4yrs living in oz..no rosy tints for me..
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Well thank god for that!!!

I'm only moving to Oz because I heard they had posh Birth Certificates!!

Arkon - I am quite saddened by your situation, having moved all that way in search of a better life and now feeling so unhappy. I hope you can work out a solution soon!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:06 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
Well thank god for that!!!

I'm only moving to Oz because I heard they had posh Birth Certificates!!

Arkon - I am quite saddened by your situation, having moved all that way in search of a better life and now feeling so unhappy. I hope you can work out a solution soon!!
Thanks, and where did you get those good icons from?
EDIT, just answered my own question when the show up in your quote!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:09 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by sel
Thats great... personally, I would swap for horses but... ... the jealousy I feel is ... well.... ok ... as I now have the green light - what age bracket do you fall into no fibbing now .... do you wish you had bought a smaller acreage ? or do you regret buying the acreage ?

I'm sure you really wouldn't have guessed but I would love to have the hobby farm thing. 15 - 20 acres would be perfect but OH wants to be near the beach ... all on a budget so I am hunting the happy medium Perth side BUT and there is always the but ... I am having the ebiegeebies about the acreage dream and the hassle that comes with land owning. I am beginning to think keeping a gap of say 2 acres between us and the neighbours (need gap for my sanity) would be better for the kids ...

BTW as I have said before on the forum... I like to read the negative posts as much as the positive to see what would/would not be relevant to our circumstances/life. Arkon I appreciate your honesty and that of others who have found it to not be what they hoped it would be.

I hope you you find what you truly want wherever that is.... wish you were in Perth could have swapped for Alvechurch
Acrerage is not as big as it sounds, for me 20 acres would have to be a minimum and even then you could still be right on top of the neighbours. Perth was my favorite but the wife didn't like it.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Well something about Australia finaly impressed me today. They are such rare events that I thought I should post it.

We got our childs Birth Certificate today and I must say its all very impressive looking, we had to pay extra of course for a good looking one but it
was worth it. Much better than the tatty things you get in the UK.

Maybe this is something the UK could do.

I too haven't found much in Australia that has impressed me so I look forward to getting one of these birth certificates when new baby arrives in a few weeks.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:22 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Arkon

Have you noticed that everyone is much more positive about your predicament now that they know the story and where you live. I have never been that far north in Oz but have to say I admire you and even more so your wife for sticking at it especially as you have the new baby and your wife is so unhappy.

It sounds like you would prefer city life and like others have said on here I really hope you find a life that will make you happy wherever it may be.

Suzy x
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:27 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
I too haven't found much in Australia that has impressed me so I look forward to getting one of these birth certificates when new baby arrives in a few weeks.
At last! Its good to know its not just me, I was starting to think I was missing something. Good luck with the new bump,

Last edited by arkon; Sep 10th 2005 at 8:30 am.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

No Arkon your not the only one. I feel the same as yourself!
Also agreed alot of what you said on "Think before you sink" thread
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:24 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Desire
No Arkon your not the only one. I feel the same as yourself!
Also agreed alot of what you said on "Think before you sink" thread
Crikey a revolution!! To all the lurkers who sympathise with this sentiment post now and say so, ignore any bad mouthing you get, just post. Its quite liberating really! (well I think so), Something to do when you cant go out because of the heat.

Heres a thought, For at least a quarter or a third of the days in Australia its really unbearably hot to actuall enjoy being outside IMO. And there's no escaping it. In the UK its no different to a wet and cold day where you choose not to go out, BUT at least you can dress up warm and cosy and venture outside. Here on the otherhand you cant exactly shed a few layers of skin or put on your portable air conditioner. Just a thought!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Crikey a revolution!! To all the lurkers who sympathise with this sentiment post now and say so, ignore any bad mouthing you get, just post. Its quite liberating really! (well I think so), Something to do when you cant go out because of the heat.

Heres a thought, For at least a quarter or a third of the days in Australia its really unbearably hot to actuall enjoy being outside IMO. And there's no escaping it. In the UK its no different to a wet and cold day where you choose not to go out, BUT at least you can dress up warm and cosy and venture outside. Here on the otherhand you cant exactly shed a few layers of skin or put on your portable air conditioner. Just a thought!

There's a lot more people out there who do agree (and obviously a lot who disagree) but are too scared to speak up or maybe are just not ready to admit it to themselves yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.