British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   At last something positive to say about Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/last-something-positive-say-about-australia-325013/)

arkon Sep 9th 2005 7:59 am

At last something positive to say about Australia

Well something about Australia finaly impressed me today. They are such rare events that I thought I should post it.

We got our childs Birth Certificate today and I must say its all very impressive looking, we had to pay extra of course for a good looking one but it
was worth it. Much better than the tatty things you get in the UK.

Maybe this is something the UK could do.

glittababe Sep 9th 2005 8:01 am

Re: At last something positive to say about Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
Well something about Australia finaly impressed me today. They are such rare events that I thought I should post it.

We got our childs Birth Certificate today and I must say its all very impressive looking, we had to pay extra of course for a good looking one but it

My littlen's one from the Uk was ok. They presented it in a nice folder etc..... whats the aus one like then?

TopCat3 Sep 9th 2005 8:02 am

Ta-Daaaahhh!!!! ;) :)

NIGENABBY Sep 9th 2005 8:04 am

Hi
You can get commemorative birth certificates (and marriage) here now
Yes they cost extra, but they do look good. Only thing is like Aus you have to have the official as well, because the commemorative have no legal value

debbiemc Sep 9th 2005 8:20 am

oh dear, you cant be very happy person if thats the only thing in australia that has impressed you :o

Hutch Sep 9th 2005 8:25 am

Originally Posted by debbiemc
oh dear, you cant be very happy person if thats the only thing in australia that has impressed you :o

Was thinking the same thing. Mandy Skeggs move over. :D

arkon Sep 9th 2005 8:29 am

Originally Posted by glittababe
My littlen's one from the Uk was ok. They presented it in a nice folder etc..... whats the aus one like then?

Its a fancy certificate with all the famous Australian icons around it, it came in a gold tube too. All in all its good enough to frame. :)

To all the other replies, seeing as posting something positive also gets derided, I won’t do it again. Obviously doesn’t suit my negative character. :rolleyes:

Hutch Sep 9th 2005 8:33 am

Its a fancy certificate with all the famous Australian icons around it, it came in a gold tube too. All in all its good enough to frame. :)

To all the other replies, seeing as posting something positive also gets derided, I won’t do it again. Obviously doesn’t suit my negative character. :rolleyes:

Come come - the reason we were sarcastic was the "something about Australia finaly impressed me today" bit. I mean seriously, if the one and only thing that has 'impressed' you about Australia is your progeny's birth certificate - then get the **** out of dodge and don't look back. :D

banjo Sep 9th 2005 8:34 am

Well something about Australia finaly impressed me today. They are such rare events that I thought I should post it. ......

really truly? nothing else......? How long have you been here?

OzTennis Sep 9th 2005 8:36 am

It's not that posting something positive is derided at all, it is posting something positive and saying it's the ONLY thing good you can find about Oz - your child's birth certificate. Victor Meldrew's got nothing on you! :D

OzTennis :)

OzTennis Sep 9th 2005 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Come come - the reason we were sarcastic was the "something about Australia finaly impressed me today" bit. I mean seriously, if the one and only thing that has 'impressed' you about Australia is your progeny's birth certificate - then get the **** out of dodge and don't look back. :D

Sorry, beat me to it! :D

arkon Sep 9th 2005 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Hutch

The "something about Australia finally impressed me today" bit was because so far nothing has impressed me here so for me it was a statement of fact.
And as for getting the F*** out of dodge, I am! But for now I am still an expat as there’s very little to do to stimulate the mind here I'm finding it quite therapeutic to read and post on this forum. Ok so the Birth certificate wasn’t that impressive an idea for a post but I thought it would be worth other new people in Australia having a baby to know that it was worth the extra 30 bucks or so for the fancy one.

TopCat3 Sep 9th 2005 8:41 am

To be fair to Arkon, on an earlier thread where he was having lots of disappointing shopping experiences :rolleyes: he said he would post positive experiences as well so that people didn't think he was all negative.

Maybe it's the words you use Arkon? (meant nicely) I am happy for you, you've got a new bub, a nice Australian birth certificate, now all you need is some sand and the right size shoes and you can do a rose-tinted post and everyone will like you! ;) :)

Storini Sep 9th 2005 8:42 am

Congratulations on the addition to the family, at least. :)

debbiemc Sep 9th 2005 8:42 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis
It's not that posting something positive is derided at all, it is posting something positive and saying it's the ONLY thing good you can find about Oz - your child's birth certificate. Victor Meldrew's got nothing on you! :D

absolutely!