Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At last something positive to say about Australia

At last something positive to say about Australia

Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At last something positive to say about Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
Why did I give up such a good life in the UK? Top question, and one that I've thought about a lot over the last 10 months or so. Partly doing the same job for 20 years meant I was desperate for a change. Yes the new live down under programmes played their part and an excellent holiday here in 2001 helped. Also I have a fatal character flaw, No I’m not negative like some on here would have you believe, but once I spend an significant amount of money I always see it through to the end rather than waste money! I know daft it might sound, but the agents fees and Australian and dog fees all added up to a ‘I have to go now’ figure. The wife also wanted to go and you men out there will know how much this will figure in any decision. Then that was compounded by a series of can’t turn back now events. Company sold (can’t go back now), House sold (can’t go back now), etc. So here I am. I think I picked and was hasty in buying here on the mid north coast but the wife found out she was pregnant within a week of landing so we panicked a bit and made a few rash decisions that will make it 10 times harder to go home anytime soon.
Hmmm ... rock and a hard place. You certainly seem to have plenty of drive and focus. Maybe once the baby's settled a bit better you can consider looking at other areas. Got to be worth a punt, rather than feeling so down about your move down-under.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Why did I give up such a good life in the UK? Top question, and one that I've thought about a lot over the last 10 months or so. Partly doing the same job for 20 years meant I was desperate for a change. Yes the new live down under programmes played their part and an excellent holiday here in 2001 helped. Also I have a fatal character flaw, No I’m not negative like some on here would have you believe, but once I spend an significant amount of money I always see it through to the end rather than waste money! I know daft it might sound, but the agents fees and Australian and dog fees all added up to a ‘I have to go now’ figure. The wife also wanted to go and you men out there will know how much this will figure in any decision. Then that was compounded by a series of can’t turn back now events. Company sold (can’t go back now), House sold (can’t go back now), etc. So here I am. I think I picked and was hasty in buying here on the mid north coast but the wife found out she was pregnant within a week of landing so we panicked a bit and made a few rash decisions that will make it 10 times harder to go home anytime soon.
there has been another thread not long ago quite similar i think. someone suggested to move states, or at least different areas. you might find that a 100miles away is like another world. if you are renting, and have a young family, its worth a thought.

life is too short and precious not to make the best of what we have. ( 2 friends diagnosed with cancer this week!)you've done the hardest thing by moving to australia, just one tiny part of it.

any chance you could start up your business again? and get other people to do the hard work?

good luck, and it still is early days after 10 months, isn't it 2 or 3 years before people relly start to feel settled?

good luck and be happy, you've got a little bubba to keep you smiling anyway!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:00 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
there has been another thread not long ago quite similar i think. someone suggested to move states, or at least different areas. you might find that a 100miles away is like another world. if you are renting, and have a young family, its worth a thought.

life is too short and precious not to make the best of what we have. ( 2 friends diagnosed with cancer this week!)you've done the hardest thing by moving to australia, just one tiny part of it.

any chance you could start up your business again? and get other people to do the hard work?

good luck, and it still is early days after 10 months, isn't it 2 or 3 years before people relly start to feel settled?

good luck and be happy, you've got a little bubba to keep you smiling anyway!
Thanks for the kind words, much better than being told to F off, And the baby is great, we left it we thought too late to start a family and every time we see him we can't believe we produced him. We can't move at any kind of speed to try out somewhere else because we did buy somewhere. And you would have thought after all these years I would have known better than to buy the most expensive house in a poor area! I think the whole pregnancy at 35+ degrees addled the brain somewhat.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:40 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the kind words, much better than being told to F off, And the baby is great, we left it we thought too late to start a family and every time we see him we can't believe we produced him. We can't move at any kind of speed to try out somewhere else because we did buy somewhere. And you would have thought after all these years I would have known better than to buy the most expensive house in a poor area! I think the whole pregnancy at 35+ degrees addled the brain somewhat.
Perhaps you should move to Badge's village? He sells it enough...

Come on Badge ... where are you.... hiding in the lime green trees.... please can we have some more pictures.....
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:46 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kendodd

Come on Badge ... where are you.... hiding in the lime green trees.... please can we have some more pictures.....
No way, from what I've heard there are too many trolls living under bridges there.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kendodd

Is it where Badge lives or is it Badge me wonders??

OzTennis
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the whole pregnancy at 35+ degrees addled the brain somewhat.
Age is irrelevant. The bigger the baby grows in the womb, the more the brain shrinks. It grows back slowly unless you have another child
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by debbiemc
oh dear, you cant be very happy person if thats the only thing in australia that has impressed you
My sentiments exactly - of all the things that Australia has to offer and this is the thing that is positive? Go figure.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:31 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
My sentiments exactly - of all the things that Australia has to offer and this is the thing that is positive? Go figure.
Everyone keeps saying this but exactly WHAT does Australia have to offer, and don't mention the weather. What exactly is my negative little brain missing out here. Oh, I need to add I hate sport and don't sunbathe.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone keeps saying this but exactly WHAT does Australia have to offer, and don't mention the weather. What exactly is my negative little brain missing out here. Oh, I need to add I hate sport and don't sunbathe.
The point is precisely that if you have to ask others what Australia has to offer after being there for 10 months then it is perhaps the wrong place for you, but not necessarily for others. If you need people to point out anything other than fancy birth certificates then that says everything. Maybe cue a little 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for' by U2?

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Sep 9th 2005 at 12:55 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 12:53 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

10 months now Banjo. And we've had the whole gamut of experiences here from dog importing to having a baby, starting a business, buying a farm etc. As a result have experienced plenty to write home about.

Hey Arkon, I hope things start to look up for you very soon whatever you do ie; stay or return.
Cannot imagine getting through all of the above out of familiar territory and without family and friends to support you. I personally know that if I were you I too would have had trouble seeing anything positive around me whether things were good or not.
Especially having a baby gosh all those bloody hormones and sleepless nights!!

Take Care
Sharon
x
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There is obviously far more to Aus than weather But I think you are in a very difficult place right now what with new life, new business, new house, and now new baby. You appear to be looking back not forward because you have sooo much on your plates. Everywhere in the world has something going for it, you just haven't found it for yourselves in Aus yet. You might not.

No one else can tell you what is great about Aus because it is different for everyone. One person might love having a beach close, someone else will only want to look at mountains etc etc.

If you have done all the usual - finding clubs or groups that do something that interests you, get out and about meeting people; getting away at weekends exploring different areas and so on then sit down and discuss exactly what you both want and do it because being unsettled won't do either of you any good.

In retrospect perhaps starting your own business so early on wasn't a great move but done now so either put heart and sole into it or try and sell it.

Just because you have bought a house doesn't mean you have to stay there. Sell it. Move on. Try and concentrate on what is possible not what is difficult.

Enjoy the baby. They grow up tooooo fast
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:23 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Arkon

I was trying to look up in your previous posts where abouts you had settled and saw with great envy that you have bought a farm of 55 acres. I DREAM of having a place with that much land (I am a horse fanatic). Are you not kept busy enough with all that ??? or is it not farmed and just a VERY large back garden
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:52 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by sel
Hi Arkon

I was trying to look up in your previous posts where abouts you had settled and saw with great envy that you have bought a farm of 55 acres. I DREAM of having a place with that much land (I am a horse fanatic). Are you not kept busy enough with all that ??? or is it not farmed and just a VERY large back garden
It was a bit of a mess to start with but its starting to look a bit better now, so yes I am working it. Being kept busy is not a problem as I'm never bored. Having land is not the be all and end all as I've discovered. Its where the land is thats far more important.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:56 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The point is precisely that if you have to ask others what Australia has to offer after being there for 10 months then it is perhaps the wrong place for you, but not necessarily for others. If you need people to point out anything other than fancy birth certificates then that says everything. Maybe cue a little 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for' by U2?

OzTennis
I'm not asking people what I should like about OZ but what you like about it. I know what I don't like about it, but I'm finding very few people willing to actually give a big list of what THEY like about it. Its like people come here and HAVE to like it wart an all. And when pushed for what they like about it you always get the same answer, weather and beaches! So come on OZ stop being shy and tell me what you like about the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.