Kindle 3G

Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default Kindle 3G

This could be a really dumb question! But, birthday coming up soon and would really like a Kindle 3G..... All being well will be emigrating next year.

Now.... do i just buy a UK Kindle and relevant adaptor or one from US site?? Will it make any difference to performance, voltage etc?

Sorry, really not up on gadgets and the like, but i think even i can manage one of these!

Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:26 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle 3G

Originally Posted by Lois1
This could be a really dumb question! But, birthday coming up soon and would really like a Kindle 3G..... All being well will be emigrating next year.

Now.... do i just buy a UK Kindle and relevant adaptor or one from US site?? Will it make any difference to performance, voltage etc?

Sorry, really not up on gadgets and the like, but i think even i can manage one of these!

Thanks
voltage etc no problem - just use a power adapter for the UK Plug socket or use one of a multitude of 3rd party chargers or charge it off your pc/laptop.

you might want to ask Amazon about the 3g thing - moving from country to country they call it 'roaming' which would incur lots of extra fees if you were subscribing to anything regularly and adds a dollar or two per book download over 3g - you should ask them what happens about permanently relocating a device to australia - contact them from their website. The 3g portion is like a phone - you wouldnt expect to move a phone from UK to Australia and for it to be the same price to make calls - so just check that bit. Everything else will be fine - you move to Aus, adjust your address in the amazon website of your account and that will be that.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Thanks for that, most appreciated. I have emailed amazon and await their reply!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Just thought would let BE know should anyone else do a search and have the same query.

Have had a reply back from Amazon (quiet impressed with the speed of the response!).

Kindle content is available on Amazon.co.uk to UK residents only.

If you are travelling outside of the UK, you can continue shopping in the Amazon.co.uk Kindle Store.

If you move out of the country and are no longer a UK resident, you will need to update your address at http://www.amazon.co.uk/manageyourkindle and switch your account to Amazon.com in order to shop in the Kindle Store.

Rest assured, this will not involve any additional charge when purchasing Kindle contents or using the device.

Kindle content is available for customers in over 100 countries from our partner site Amazon.com. You can download content, shop in the Kindle Store and browse the web globally via the Wi-Fi connection. In selected countries, you also have wireless coverage via the 3G connection on the Kindle (3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation).
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lois1
Just thought would let BE know should anyone else do a search and have the same query.

Have had a reply back from Amazon (quiet impressed with the speed of the response!).

Kindle content is available on Amazon.co.uk to UK residents only.

If you are travelling outside of the UK, you can continue shopping in the Amazon.co.uk Kindle Store.

If you move out of the country and are no longer a UK resident, you will need to update your address at http://www.amazon.co.uk/manageyourkindle and switch your account to Amazon.com in order to shop in the Kindle Store.

Rest assured, this will not involve any additional charge when purchasing Kindle contents or using the device.

Kindle content is available for customers in over 100 countries from our partner site Amazon.com. You can download content, shop in the Kindle Store and browse the web globally via the Wi-Fi connection. In selected countries, you also have wireless coverage via the 3G connection on the Kindle (3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation).
Mine works fine in Aus, still registered to my part-time UK address, downloads stuff on both sides of the world with no problems

Couple of threads with extra info here if you're interested

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689960
and
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665452

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 15th 2011 at 11:08 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:57 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Sony Digital Reader eBook and can recommend it if you're looking to an alternative to the Kindle.
They're a bit pricey over here though and there's probably a better range to chose from in Britain

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Mar 16th 2011 at 1:59 am.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Many many of the titles on Amazon are not available in Oz - you have to fiddle the addresses to be allowed to download them. Don't use the wireless (they know where you are!) - just use Calibre* and download over the internet.

* Excellent free program to download, organise and sync the Kindle.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:20 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Many many of the titles on Amazon are not available in Oz - you have to fiddle the addresses to be allowed to download them. Don't use the wireless (they know where you are!) - just use Calibre* and download over the internet.

Or leave your address as the UK!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Or leave your address as the UK!
But it's the US site that most of the books are on that many want to read.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:50 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Wol
But it's the US site that most of the books are on that many want to read.
Guess I just read odd stuff then. Change your address to a US one?

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 16th 2011 at 11:59 am.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume, but don't know for sure, that when I download a book it comes from the Aus site. However I tend to surf the Amazon.com site on the laptop to decide which book to get, make a decision and then go in via the Kindle and the books are always in the same order as on the .com page. Well I do when I have a Kindle - for the next few days!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:05 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

It doesn't matter where you are, just where your address is registered - the terms of the Kindle contract allow for 'residents' of the US/UK to download books while they're 'on holiday' in Australia

I find it easiest to look for books via the amazon.com/amazon.co.uk site rather than faffing about with the kindle, and then just select which kindle I want it sent to. (That way I can quickly select a different address/billing address if I need to)

My UK debit card is registered at my Mam's address, so I don't have any problems there. If I need a book from the US site which is only available to US residents, I have a made up address (a PO box number for a city and I checked what zip code that city would have). Amazon remembers your previously used addresses so it's easy. (I realise you'll already know this bit Wol)