Amazon Kindle

Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Amazon Kindle

Does anyone have a Kindle? If so, what is it like?

I really need to cut down on book purchases (ie, in paper form) so was thinking this would be great.

I've also been looking at the ipad however, I think I'd be expecting too much from the ipad and its lack of features, even though it also has book downloads.

Any tips appreciated.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

If you live in Australia, I don't think you'll be able to buy many books to read on the Kindle (or iPad) - see below:

Don't know about the Kindle, but the books on the iPad are in eBook format, which is used now by many publishers. In other words, there are lots of book in this format including the recent bestsellers (I did have a look around some of the websites that sell books for digital readers).

But - and this is a really big BUT: Go to ebooks.com (just one example) and pretend you want to buy a book. As you scroll down, you come across this: "For copyright reasons this eBook is only available to customers in the following countries [link]." And "Australia" is usually not in the list.

You'll know that the reason books are so expensive in Oz, is because they have something similar to the old "netbook agreement" that was abolished in the UK years ago.

I think that's the reason you can't by the eBook if you are trying to log on to the site from Australia.

For me, the Kindle or iPad would not be much good if I can't buy the digital version of the book in Australia (or have to wait until after the hardback and paperback versions have come out in Australia).
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Well, that's no good. Thanks though.

Edited to add: I take it you can't fool it into believing you are in the UK then?

Last edited by Kingseat; Apr 25th 2010 at 3:24 am.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually, it appears you can fool the system.

If I decide to buy, I will buy and register in the UK - can have someone send the Kindle over.

I can register my UK credit card etc on the system and when I want to buy I use my VPN to fool Amazon/ebooks into thinking I am in the UK and continue to buy books through the UK.

So I have been reading anyway.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I can register my UK credit card etc on the system and when I want to buy I use my VPN to fool Amazon/ebooks into thinking I am in the UK and continue to buy books through the UK.
That would be good if it is that easy to fool the system.

Let us know if you find out more. I am interested in the Kindle or iPad for books as well, because I have poor eye-sight. I know that with the iPad you can change the font of any book you download. That sounds perfect for me. I just want to be sure I can get the eBooks of my favourite authors. I am not into reading the Penguin classics .

Last edited by ozhappy981; Apr 25th 2010 at 4:03 am.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
That would be good if it is that easy to fool the system.

I would check though whether you can use a VPN on the Kindle. My understanding is that you download the books directly on to the Kindle (or iPad). You would therefore need to adjust the Kindle's settings.

Let us know if you find out more. I am interested in the Kindle or iPad for books as well, because I have poor eye-sight. I know that with the iPad you can change the font of any book you download. That sounds perfect for me. I just want to be sure I can get the eBooks of my favourite authors. I am not into reading the Penguin classics .
Amazon do Kindle for PC:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
Dpwnload them to your PC using a VPN and then copy them to your Kindle.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:09 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

There's also the not so legal method of just downloading the books for free, not that I'm suggesting that. I don't even have one, just saying I do know people that have done that.

I prefer the old fashion method of reading an actual book. I almost never buy books as they're free at the public library. So probably the cheapest way to do it!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I presume an Ipad would work in the same way?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by comet555
I prefer the old fashion method of reading an actual book. I almost never buy books as they're free at the public library. So probably the cheapest way to do it!
Thanks so much for sharing that with us!

But the question was: What's it like to use a Kindle or iPad to read books? And: can you get the latest books if you live in Australia?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

I presume an Ipad would work in the same way?
I had a look on both the Apple and the Amazon websites. As far as the book-reading goes, it looked to me that they work the same way.

Haven't compared what else they do.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Thanks so much for sharing that with us!

But the question was: What's it like to use a Kindle or iPad to read books? And: can you get the latest books if you live in Australia?
Depends. Lots are unavailable to readers in Australia. Have a look at ebooks and look at your favourite author. It will tell you at the bottom if it is available to Australian readers.

Lots that I like are not hence the reason for looking into it further and possibly using my VPN registration.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Depends. Lots are unavailable to readers in Australia. Have a look at ebooks and look at your favourite author. It will tell you at the bottom if it is available to Australian readers.
Yes, that's what I did. And I found out pretty quickly that the eBooks are not available to Australians.

I've never tried a VPN on my computer. Is it complicated to instal and use?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Mine took a while to set up but then again, I am not computer savvy at all! I use mine to watch BBC and ITV stuff as I can't be bothered to wait for downloads etc.

It costs me 30 euro a quarter and is very well used.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Mine took a while to set up but then again, I am not computer savvy at all! I use mine to watch BBC and ITV stuff as I can't be bothered to wait for downloads etc.

It costs me 30 euro a quarter and is very well used.
Now we need someone who actually owns a Kindle (Amazulu?) to tell us if they were able to fool the Kindle into thinking it's in the UK .

I saw what he posted about Kindle for the PC. So, I understand that with VPN you could buy an eBook by pretending to be in the UK. But if you then transfer that same eBook to the Kindle from the PC, does the Kindle "know" it's from the UK and that you are in Aus? (Like those DVD players that are coded for a specific region and won't play DVDs from other regions.)
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Has anyone got a kindle?

My natural reaction to these is that they are just wrong, but am seriously considering it due to high book prices and lack of massive book shops where you can get every book you might want to read.

Would love to hear from someone who has one or who has even seen one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.