Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just about had enough

Just about had enough

Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Just about had enough

Sorry, need to vent and couldn't think where else to do it

Our little boy (22 months) has been ill almost since we got here. In fact it's before we got here if you count the hospitalisation in Singapore enroute. We both got Rotavirus and/or food poisoning and were pretty ill. Not great with me being 28 weeks pregnant.

We arrived on March 12th and it's been one thing after another for him. Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, colds, flu, gastric flu, chest infections, ear infections, you name it, he's had it. Each one lasting about a week. It's pitiful to see, it really is, you just want to take it off them. I think it's got to me because he's always been so damn healthy. I fed him myself for 6 months then fed him mostly organic healthy food etc. Argh.

It's stopped me getting out to make friends or see the ones that I've sort of made so far. Plus we've had to pay $52 each day of missed kindy (which I'm sure is where he's getting these things!)

The Doctors say this is very common and it's because children have developed an immunity to UK bugs but not Aussie ones. Has anyone heard this before? I wish I had known as I might have been a bit more prepared! They say it will take about a year to 'acclimatise'.

To top it all I've spent the day at hospitals. Firstly Joondalup where new Aussie baby had his kidney scanned again after an infection showed up in his urinalysis. Then down to see his Paediatrician in Subiaco. The problem they picked up on my 20 week scan has got worse,. He was rescanned at birth but it seemed ok. Unfortunately his current urine infection shows that the tube which takes the waste from the kidney to the bladder isn't working, it's most likely refluxing back up the 'pipe' which it shouldn't. If this continues then it will permanently damage the kidney. Or there could be a blockage. When they are so little they grow so fast that everything needs to be kept as perfectly functioning as possible otherwise there is long term damage. So, I have to take him back to St John of God Hospital for a special dye to be injected (you don't want to know where - ouch) and then they will watch the progress of the urine through the kidney and down the pipe. Might take a while!! He's now on antibiotics permanently. If this is shown to be the case then he will have to have an operation, which is what we were worried might happen.

So yes, I've had enough!! Nothing to do with being here, just that it's been a tough start!!

Mrs J (still smiling - just )

Last edited by Wave the Sails; Aug 4th 2005 at 1:06 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:06 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just about had enough

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

Our little boy (22 months) has been ill almost since we got here. In fact it's before we got here if you count the hospitalisation in Singapore enroute. We both got Rotavirus and/or food poisoning and were pretty ill. Not great with me being 28 weeks pregnant.

We arrived on March 12th and it's been one thing after another for him. Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, colds, flu, gastric flu, chest infections, ear infections, you name it, he's had it. Each one lasting about a week. It's pitiful to see, it really is, you just want to take it off them. I think it's got to me because he's always been so damn healthy. I fed him myself for 6 months then fed him mostly organic healthy food etc. Argh.

It's stopped me getting out to make friends or see the ones that I've sort of made so far. Plus we've had to pay $52 each day of missed kindy (which I'm sure is where he's getting these things!)

The Docotrs say this is very common and it's becasue children have developed an immunity to UK bugs but not Aussie ones. Has anyone heard this before? I wish I had knowmn as I might have been a bit more prpepared! They say it will take about a year to 'acclimatise'.

To top it all I've spent the day at hospitals. Firstly Joondalup where new Aussie baby had his kidney scanned again after an infection showed up in his urinalysis. Then down to see his Paediatrician in Subiaco. The problem they picked up on my 20 week scan has got worse,. He was rescanned at birth but it seemed ok. Unfortunately his current urine infection shows that the tube which takes the waste from the kidney to the bladder isn't working, it's most likely refluxing back up the 'pipe' which it shouldn't. If this continues then it will permanently damage the kidney. Or there could be a blockage. When they are so little they grow so fast that everything needs to be kept as perfectly functioning as possible otherwise there is long term damage. So, I have to take him back to St John of God Hospital for a special dye to be injected (you don't want to know where - ouch) and then they will watch the progress of the urine through the kidney and down the pipe. Might take a while!! He's now on antibiotics permanently. If this is shown to be the case then he will have to have an operation, which is what we were worried might happen.

So yes, I've had enough!! Nothing to do with being here, just that's it's been a tough start!!

Sorry to hear you`ve had such a rough time of mate - especially when you should be enjoying your new life (which can also be stressful enough on it`s own)Hope the little-uns are better soon - it is really worrying and draining on you though. Will send some karma
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:11 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

The Doctors say this is very common and it's because children have developed an immunity to UK bugs but not Aussie ones. Has anyone heard this before? I wish I had known as I might have been a bit more prepared! They say it will take about a year to 'acclimatise'.

So yes, I've had enough!! Nothing to do with being here, just that it's been a tough start!!

I'm sorry, Mrs J, to hear that you, little one and bubba are having such a rough start. Hope you're all back to rights very soon - sending you a hug and a hit of K.

Take care,
Nicky
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The Doctors say this is very common and it's because children have developed an immunity to UK bugs but not Aussie ones. Has anyone heard this before?
This has been discussed several times on here.

It is not just children. Many adults also get a string of illnesses before they gain immunity to 'new' bugs.

G
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

kyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nicekyliecuteass is just really nice

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Sorry to hear you`ve had such a rough time of mate - especially when you should be enjoying your new life (which can also be stressful enough on it`s own)Hope the little-uns are better soon - it is really worrying and draining on you though. Will send some karma
sending you some karma too!!
i hope your kids get better soon!
poor you, i know its not the same but my little girl has got the chicken pox for the third time and i am finding that stressfull so my thoughts go out to you xx
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Aww, how crap is life? Two little uns and both are poorly.

Wishing both your babies and you and your partner all the best and hope that matters are resolved happily.

Easy to say but try to keep your chin up and enjoy your new life here, when the kids are better you will be running around, chasing after them, wondering why you were worrying!

Keep smiling and karma to you, Leigh. x
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Have sent you a pm, hope things get better soon.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:19 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no. What a poor start you poor things. I think you are amazing and very brave the fact that you are still there and still smiling-just, feel sure if it was me I would have come running back to my mum who happens to be a nurse
I hope both children get better real soon and you can start relaxing and living a normal life again.
Keep us posted about how both children are doing.

Take Care
Sharon
xx
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:19 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

So so sorry to hear that you have not had a good start to your new life. It's just horrible when your kids are poorly. Your mother's instinct is to protect them and to take any pain away, yet when they are unwell there is very little you can do and you just feel so damn helpless. I can see where the doctor is coming from about not having any immunity to the Australian germs as far as your toddler is concerned.

As for your baby, have they talked about doing a urethra and bladder stretch? My daughter has had this done a few times. They put her under general anaesthetic had basically fill up the bladder and urethra so that it stretches and decreases the chances of reflux. Whilst it is always upsetting to see a child of your own have to have an anaesthetic or any operation, it is relatively pain free and simple.

Wishing you much luck and better fortune for the future.

Anne x
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs J,

It'll all come good ... he'll be right.

Three Legs

Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
So so sorry to hear that you have not had a good start to your new life. It's just horrible when your kids are poorly. Your mother's instinct is to protect them and to take any pain away, yet when they are unwell there is very little you can do and you just feel so damn helpless. I can see where the doctor is coming from about not having any immunity to the Australian germs as far as your toddler is concerned.

As for your baby, have they talked about doing a urethra and bladder stretch? My daughter has had this done a few times. They put her under general anaesthetic had basically fill up the bladder and urethra so that it stretches and decreases the chances of reflux. Whilst it is always upsetting to see a child of your own have to have an anaesthetic or any operation, it is relatively pain free and simple.

Wishing you much luck and better fortune for the future.

Anne x
Thanks Anne, I'll mention it to the Paed. I think it's the valve that's faulty though?
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:25 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Mrs J,

It'll all come good ... he'll be right.

Three Legs
Aaah Three Legs, you are an absolute classic
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:28 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear it sounds dreadful, hope things turn around soon. Some speedy recovery K sent
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your bad start.

Friends of ours ( who have been here a year) had all types of crap happen to them in the first 8 months like you wouldn't believe, it was as though someone was taking the mick. But they are still here, braving the Mellie winter and looking forward to what the future holds, hopefully you can do the same. Things can only begin to get better, and they will.

Hang in there Mrs J and family and good luck to baby J

Perhaps theres some nice Perth peeps on here who can lend a hand, PERTHITES??????? I'm sure they will.......
Hxx
Old Aug 4th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Sorry to here your having such a hard time.

Sounds very similar to our story. My little girl had repeated UTIs and was diagnosed as having reflux. She tto had all the tests and scans.

Look at this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291506

The bottom line is she has been fine since the op, no further infections, although a couple of scares.

She had a scan 2 months ago and nothing further showed up. Still on antibiotics, but has an appointment to see the consultant today and will hopefully be discharged.

Try not to worry too much. He will only get kidney damage if the infection refluxes up to the kidney. Keep on top of the infections until a decision is made re surgery. Of course it may not come to that.

If I can help with any information please mail me.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.