Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just about had enough

Just about had enough

Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Just about had enough

I really feel for you, the same thing happened here in the UK when my first son (now nearly 4) started nursery at 10 months, we had about 8 months of all the things you described, finished off with chicken pox at about 20 months.. since then he has been extremely fit and healthy.... my 14 month old hasn't really been ill yet, so I have it all to come with him when he starts nursery/kindy in Oz.....

It will get better, once you've been through it you can think great no more days off kindy... my oldest has been at full time preschool since last July and he hasn't had a single day off sick..

Good luck and enjoy your new life..

Julie

ps sent you some karma!!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:12 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Just about had enough

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
So yes, I've had enough!! Nothing to do with being here, just that it's been a tough start!!

Mrs J (still smiling - just )
Hello Mrs. Jones,
Good Morning!
It sounds preety bad and depressing to read whats going into your life. But I also see some sort of confidence (or spirit boosting) thats keep you going.
I think we all bet something when we come here. For me getting job is still a challenge. And I have calculated, based on my skills and other thing it can only be 3 months that I can be out of job, if I dont get a break I will do anytype of work to burn the candle instead of dying w/o food
So thats risk calcualting, carrying risk mititgation plan and also having alternative if you cant curcumvent the risk.
I can understand the problems are undesirable and yes univited and not even planned.
I was just wondering about the issues you mentioned about your child. I am not a doc. to suggest. But to all people who are moving or migrating I recommend two things to be very serious of Climate and Water. I am not sure what exactly has gone bad to the child but I think baby needs more encouragement from you and dad atleast to fight those ailments psychology'cally.
I wish and pray all goes well with you Keep that smiling faces and yes thats the correct term "just that it's been a tough start", thats the key to fight back.
Good Luck Mr. and Mrs. Jones.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Cant really add anymore to what others have said. Just want you to know i'm thinking of you.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:18 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Mrs J,
Sorry to hear that you have had such an awful time of things. Your oldest child will soon get used to all the new bugs and will stop being ill so frequently. Sounds a strange thing to say but when I was supply teaching, a day here or a day there, I was always ill but as soon as I had longer periods of supply ie a week in same school I was ok. Eventually I picked up all the bugs in Newport and now I'm very rarely off sick.
My friend has the same condition as your youngest child and she leads a normal healthy life and has even gone on to have two babies. She does get infections but these are now few and far between as I got her onto the cranberry tablets. Things will get better, I'm sending a smile your way,
Hugs
Sarah
Old Aug 4th 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hevs
Sorry to hear of your bad start.

Friends of ours ( who have been here a year) had all types of crap happen to them in the first 8 months like you wouldn't believe, it was as though someone was taking the mick. But they are still here, braving the Mellie winter and looking forward to what the future holds, hopefully you can do the same. Things can only begin to get better, and they will.

Hang in there Mrs J and family and good luck to baby J

Perhaps theres some nice Perth peeps on here who can lend a hand, PERTHITES??????? I'm sure they will.......
Hxx

yes heard of lots of people "getting used to aussie bugs" ..it will sort itself out but takes a while......in the meantime, one thing we (Perth girlies) can offer is a well deserved night out on Sat 13th Aug in Joondalup, even if you can only escape for a few drinks its only round the corner and may just help your sanity......!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:20 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]
Sorry, need to vent and couldn't think where else to do it

Our little boy (22 months) has been ill almost since we got here. In fact it's before we got here if you count the hospitalisation in Singapore enroute. We both got Rotavirus and/or food poisoning and were pretty ill. Not great with me being 28 weeks pregnant.

We arrived on March 12th and it's been one thing after another for him. Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, colds, flu, gastric flu, chest infections, ear infections, you name it, he's had it. Each one lasting about a week. It's pitiful to see, it really is, you just want to take it off them. I think it's got to me because he's always been so damn healthy. I fed him myself for 6 months then fed him mostly organic healthy food etc. Argh.
Oooh - sympathy! I know how infuriating that is. You get very frustrated when you do all the things you're supposed to and they still get ill.

It's stopped me getting out to make friends or see the ones that I've sort of made so far. Plus we've had to pay $52 each day of missed kindy (which I'm sure is where he's getting these things!)
That's adding insult to injury!

The Doctors say this is very common and it's because children have developed an immunity to UK bugs but not Aussie ones. Has anyone heard this before? I wish I had known as I might have been a bit more prepared! They say it will take about a year to 'acclimatise'.
That's completely normal. In actual fact you don't need to change countries. When we moved to our present home, we only moved 5 miles, but our dd got everything that was going - this tied in with her starting school, and they all do that when they start school! It does take time to build up a resistance, and it's a nightmare getting there. But although it seems like it's just one thing after another it does mean his immune system is being challenged and is responding and maturing. That's what I held on to.

I know many folk don't have time for it, but dietary changes can help. Sugar challenges the immune system and depresses it making them more susceptible to bugs in general, and wheat and dairy foods produce lots of mucus which can make things hang around a lot longer. If you can reduce or eliminate these from his diet, it will help him get stronger a lot quicker.

To top it all I've spent the day at hospitals. Firstly Joondalup where new Aussie baby had his kidney scanned again after an infection showed up in his urinalysis. Then down to see his Paediatrician in Subiaco. The problem they picked up on my 20 week scan has got worse,. He was rescanned at birth but it seemed ok. Unfortunately his current urine infection shows that the tube which takes the waste from the kidney to the bladder isn't working, it's most likely refluxing back up the 'pipe' which it shouldn't. If this continues then it will permanently damage the kidney. Or there could be a blockage. When they are so little they grow so fast that everything needs to be kept as perfectly functioning as possible otherwise there is long term damage. So, I have to take him back to St John of God Hospital for a special dye to be injected (you don't want to know where - ouch) and then they will watch the progress of the urine through the kidney and down the pipe. Might take a while!! He's now on antibiotics permanently. If this is shown to be the case then he will have to have an operation, which is what we were worried might happen.
This is nasty, and I do hope that it resolves itself without surgery. I know someone else whose baby had the same problem - she is now 2 and waiting for surgery, also on long term a/bs. I hope it doesn't come to that for you.

So yes, I've had enough!! Nothing to do with being here, just that it's been a tough start!!

What a rotten start to your new life. I hope things pick up for you very soon.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Sorry, need to vent and couldn't think where else to do it

Our little boy (22 months) has been ill almost since we got here. In fact it's before we got here if you count the hospitalisation in Singapore enroute. We both got Rotavirus and/or food poisoning and were pretty ill. Not great with me being 28 weeks pregnant.

We arrived on March 12th and it's been one thing after another for him. Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, colds, flu, gastric flu, chest infections, ear infections, you name it, he's had it. Each one lasting about a week. It's pitiful to see, it really is, you just want to take it off them. I think it's got to me because he's always been so damn healthy. I fed him myself for 6 months then fed him mostly organic healthy food etc. Argh.

It's stopped me getting out to make friends or see the ones that I've sort of made so far. Plus we've had to pay $52 each day of missed kindy (which I'm sure is where he's getting these things!)

The Doctors say this is very common and it's because children have developed an immunity to UK bugs but not Aussie ones. Has anyone heard this before? I wish I had known as I might have been a bit more prepared! They say it will take about a year to 'acclimatise'.

To top it all I've spent the day at hospitals. Firstly Joondalup where new Aussie baby had his kidney scanned again after an infection showed up in his urinalysis. Then down to see his Paediatrician in Subiaco. The problem they picked up on my 20 week scan has got worse,. He was rescanned at birth but it seemed ok. Unfortunately his current urine infection shows that the tube which takes the waste from the kidney to the bladder isn't working, it's most likely refluxing back up the 'pipe' which it shouldn't. If this continues then it will permanently damage the kidney. Or there could be a blockage. When they are so little they grow so fast that everything needs to be kept as perfectly functioning as possible otherwise there is long term damage. So, I have to take him back to St John of God Hospital for a special dye to be injected (you don't want to know where - ouch) and then they will watch the progress of the urine through the kidney and down the pipe. Might take a while!! He's now on antibiotics permanently. If this is shown to be the case then he will have to have an operation, which is what we were worried might happen.

Sorry to hear what a stressfull time your all havingat the moment. I really feel for you all. This must be absolutley awfull for you. Just want to send you all lots of love, and I really hope he gets well real soon. xxx
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:14 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
This has been discussed several times on here.

It is not just children. Many adults also get a string of illnesses before they gain immunity to 'new' bugs.

G
Yes, that's quite right. I found having an Aussie flu jab helped me 'fast track' a bit of immunity against the run of the mill bugs that go round. During the last major virus that laid waste to our office, I was only off for 2 days while most of the others were sick for a week or more :scared:

OP - sorry to hear about the littlies - is there a kids' version of the flu jab that may at least help fend off the day to day viruses? Hope y'all feel better soon anyway...

Grayling, as our resident Medic (watch out, he'll be getting out his All Saints scrubs & his stethoscope next ) would you say that the stress of emigrating in itself does make some people more susceptible to illness, in any case?

Cheers
Anya.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
This has been discussed several times on here.

It is not just children. Many adults also get a string of illnesses before they gain immunity to 'new' bugs.

G

Totally agree...Myself and my partner have been ill quite a bit since getting here and I know its because we are just not used to the Aussie climate/air....Things have started to ease off after being here for 7 months....
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice

Mrs J, sympathy oozing from my evey pore. As others have said, new bugs and moving are crap!! We moved from London to Shrewsbury and my son started nursery and it was bugs all the way for him for the next two years, and don't start with me- never been so ill in my life!
Oddly enough since moving here I've been expecting the same stuff and it hasn't happened until now (3 months in) although my daughter did get measles weeks after arriving.
I know another family of newbies whose children have had similar to you guys - rotavirus and hand,foot and mouth so I guess you both have been unlucky.
I hope (and know) that all will be well with your little one - good luck and chin up.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:55 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac
Mrs J, sympathy oozing from my evey pore. As others have said, new bugs and moving are crap!! We moved from London to Shrewsbury and my son started nursery and it was bugs all the way for him for the next two years, and don't start with me- never been so ill in my life!
Oddly enough since moving here I've been expecting the same stuff and it hasn't happened until now (3 months in) although my daughter did get measles weeks after arriving.
I know another family of newbies whose children have had similar to you guys - rotavirus and hand,foot and mouth so I guess you both have been unlucky.
I hope (and know) that all will be well with your little one - good luck and chin up.
Oops this is really me, but I logged on as my darlink husband.!! What am I doing on the computer before 8am anyway.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teresa
yes heard of lots of people "getting used to aussie bugs" ..it will sort itself out but takes a while......in the meantime, one thing we (Perth girlies) can offer is a well deserved night out on Sat 13th Aug in Joondalup, even if you can only escape for a few drinks its only round the corner and may just help your sanity......!!!!
Sounds good to me!!!! I thought it was a Burswood meet up though. I was going to try for that one if only for an hour! Let me know where and when.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks to you all

Well Mr J looked after Aussie Baby last night, so I'm feeling a lot better.

Thanks to you all for your lovely replies.

Onwards and upwards!!!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Sounds good to me!!!! I thought it was a Burswood meet up though. I was going to try for that one if only for an hour! Let me know where and when.

Its changed to Old Bailey, Joondalup (due to numbers), link below, sounds like you really need a good laugh right now!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317324

See you then
Old Aug 5th 2005, 4:56 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs J

I don't think its just a uk- aussie thing, Indie has had a permanent green nose for the last few months, just when you think it's sunbsiding, whoosh the flood gates open again.

We also went through the bladder reflux thing, he was 8 months when it showed up initially, but they left him until he got another at about 10 months before they started mentioning the options, luckily his ultrasound seemed fine, although they say that the ultrasound can't always be trusted. The paediatrician i saw said that as a doctor he thought he should go for the dye injection, but as a parent his gut instinct was to sit back and see what happens, as he hasn't had that many infections. My gut reaction as a coward was to go with his gut reaction as a parent Now anytime he throws up or seems off colour we have to do a clean catch and send it off to see if it's ok, so far so good. Aparantly in most cases it is something they grow out of and only a small number need the op, but it may mean anti-biotics for a few years. Fingers crossed that all goes well, if it's any consolation they say the younger they are the easier it is to deal with.

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.