Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

job before you go (electrician)?

job before you go (electrician)?

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light
Default job before you go (electrician)?

Has anyone managed to secure a job before getting to aus, I have noticed in a couple of magazines and websites that some companys are advertising to try and secure work before getting to aus. I am a fully qualified sparks hoping to get to Perth in June.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice
Default Re: job before you go (electrician)?

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
Has anyone managed to secure a job before getting to aus, I have noticed in a couple of magazines and websites that some companys are advertising to try and secure work before getting to aus. I am a fully qualified sparks hoping to get to Perth in June.
very one i have spoke to says they will not provide sponsorship until vetassess has been passed

how far have you got?

im sparky too, just started vetassess process last month,

hopefully perth for me too
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No luck for my OH until he had his ARTC. Then the offers came in thick and fast - we are in Adelaide. It's not too bad though because if you send your ARTC off when you are in the UK, and get on the next available course at www.peer.com.au you can have your full licence within 4 weeks.

Other states take longer.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
No luck for my OH until he had his ARTC. Then the offers came in thick and fast - we are in Adelaide. It's not too bad though because if you send your ARTC off when you are in the UK, and get on the next available course at www.peer.com.au you can have your full licence within 4 weeks.

Other states take longer.
Hi Wendy thankyou for the reply, this sounds promising, I am moving to perth if I do my ARTC before I go I need to know an aussie address, is this correct, and what course do I need to do enrol. Thankyou, I have sent everything off for my visa, our agent has told us that we should hear back about our visa before the end of next week
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Jox_co is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: job before you go (electrician)?

Hi there,

My hubby is electrical engineer and has secured a job starting May/June time (providing visa thru) We went to expo in Manchester, he had an interview and contract signed and sealed. He hasn't done ARTC or license yet as we haven't got FRN let alone visa. He can work for them under their licence until he gets his (apparently). We hope to get FRN sometime over next few weeks, he will then send off for ARTC and look in to booking the course etc for license.

We are heading for Perth, not sure where yet, but can't wait.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy thankyou for the reply, this sounds promising, I am moving to perth if I do my ARTC before I go I need to know an aussie address, is this correct, and what course do I need to do enrol. Thankyou, I have sent everything off for my visa, our agent has told us that we should hear back about our visa before the end of next week

Look into the process for Perth as I'm not familiar with it.

I do know that the course at Peer (wiring rules) can be done by either here in Adelaide or by correspondence, but you have to sit the exam in Adelaide. You'll also need to apply for you licence here, then have your picture taken (not sure how long that takes, usually about a week for the letter to come for your pic)

You do need an Australian address for you ARTC, but it can be anywhere in Australia - doesn't have to be where you get your licence.

When you get the licence you can then convert to a WA one, costs more this way but it's quicker - usually by quite a few months so it more than makes up for the cost.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

karan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by docgp
very one i have spoke to says they will not provide sponsorship until vetassess has been passed

how far have you got?

im sparky too, just started vetassess process last month,

hopefully perth for me too
Hi there just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of guidance on the trade evidence forms my OH is applying as an general electrician. There are four boxes that need to be filled in on the forms but think reading too much into the jargon of the questions just wondering if anyone can give us any guidance or better still templates of how they filled them in. This would be greatly apprieciated as this is our last hurdle for the paper base.
Thanks.

Last edited by karan; Jan 3rd 2008 at 3:26 pm. Reason: haven't given trade
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:34 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karan
Hi there just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of guidance on the trade evidence forms my OH is applying as an general electrician. There are four boxes that need to be filled in on the forms but think reading too much into the jargon of the questions just wondering if anyone can give us any guidance or better still templates of how they filled them in. This would be greatly apprieciated as this is our last hurdle for the paper base.
Thanks.
do a search in here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

karan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks steve o your leads were very helpful
Karan
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:41 pm
Am a Sparky get me outa ?

tombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nice

HI wendy
am a electrician hoping to emigrate to adelaide been on web looking for jobs in adelaide not that many came up. Could you tell me how your OH got his? what wages are like compared to england. does he think its better? etc soz for all questions
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tombo1979
HI wendy
am a electrician hoping to emigrate to adelaide been on web looking for jobs in adelaide not that many came up. Could you tell me how your OH got his? what wages are like compared to england. does he think its better? etc soz for all questions
There's usually about 10 - 15 jobs for sparkies advertised weekly, it's also usually pretty quiet around Xmas and the Australia day bank holiday, so you should see the amount of jobs slowly building from now on.

My OH works in manufacturing, so applied for his job through an agency and they got him work within 24 hours of him passing his wiring rules exam (which meant he could apply for his licence). He didn't have much luck before that though.

His wages here are slightly higher than the UK (he was on $24k per year there, and is on $60k here plus overtime which looks like it will bring it up to $70k this year), he does the same job more or less except they don't have him chaning light bulbs here and he is being trained up on PLC programming. The company he works for really value him as a member of staff, and have already invested a lot in his training. He isn't working as hard as he did in the UK, and he is home for 3:15pm every day. All in all it's been a good move