British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   job before you go (electrician)? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/job-before-you-go-electrician-503212/)

ukdarren22 Jan 3rd 2008 11:23 am

job before you go (electrician)?

Has anyone managed to secure a job before getting to aus, I have noticed in a couple of magazines and websites that some companys are advertising to try and secure work before getting to aus. I am a fully qualified sparks hoping to get to Perth in June.

docgp Jan 3rd 2008 11:27 am

Re: job before you go (electrician)?

Originally Posted by ukdarren22 (Post 5733625)
Has anyone managed to secure a job before getting to aus, I have noticed in a couple of magazines and websites that some companys are advertising to try and secure work before getting to aus. I am a fully qualified sparks hoping to get to Perth in June.

very one i have spoke to says they will not provide sponsorship until vetassess has been passed

how far have you got?

im sparky too, just started vetassess process last month,

hopefully perth for me too

Wendy Jan 3rd 2008 11:28 am

No luck for my OH until he had his ARTC. Then the offers came in thick and fast - we are in Adelaide. It's not too bad though because if you send your ARTC off when you are in the UK, and get on the next available course at www.peer.com.au you can have your full licence within 4 weeks.

Other states take longer. :)

ukdarren22 Jan 3rd 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5733644)
No luck for my OH until he had his ARTC. Then the offers came in thick and fast - we are in Adelaide. It's not too bad though because if you send your ARTC off when you are in the UK, and get on the next available course at www.peer.com.au you can have your full licence within 4 weeks.

Other states take longer. :)

Hi Wendy thankyou for the reply, this sounds promising, I am moving to perth if I do my ARTC before I go I need to know an aussie address, is this correct, and what course do I need to do enrol. Thankyou, I have sent everything off for my visa, our agent has told us that we should hear back about our visa before the end of next week

Jox_co Jan 3rd 2008 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ukdarren22 (Post 5733625)

Hi there,

My hubby is electrical engineer and has secured a job starting May/June time (providing visa thru) We went to expo in Manchester, he had an interview and contract signed and sealed. He hasn't done ARTC or license yet as we haven't got FRN let alone visa. He can work for them under their licence until he gets his (apparently). We hope to get FRN sometime over next few weeks, he will then send off for ARTC and look in to booking the course etc for license.

We are heading for Perth, not sure where yet, but can't wait.

Wendy Jan 3rd 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by ukdarren22 (Post 5733654)
Hi Wendy thankyou for the reply, this sounds promising, I am moving to perth if I do my ARTC before I go I need to know an aussie address, is this correct, and what course do I need to do enrol. Thankyou, I have sent everything off for my visa, our agent has told us that we should hear back about our visa before the end of next week

Look into the process for Perth as I'm not familiar with it.

I do know that the course at Peer (wiring rules) can be done by either here in Adelaide or by correspondence, but you have to sit the exam in Adelaide. You'll also need to apply for you licence here, then have your picture taken (not sure how long that takes, usually about a week for the letter to come for your pic)

You do need an Australian address for you ARTC, but it can be anywhere in Australia - doesn't have to be where you get your licence.

When you get the licence you can then convert to a WA one, costs more this way but it's quicker - usually by quite a few months so it more than makes up for the cost.

karan Jan 3rd 2008 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by docgp (Post 5733642)
very one i have spoke to says they will not provide sponsorship until vetassess has been passed

how far have you got?

im sparky too, just started vetassess process last month,

hopefully perth for me too

Hi there just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of guidance on the trade evidence forms my OH is applying as an general electrician. There are four boxes that need to be filled in on the forms but think reading too much into the jargon of the questions just wondering if anyone can give us any guidance or better still templates of how they filled them in. This would be greatly apprieciated as this is our last hurdle for the paper base.
Thanks.

steve`o Jan 3rd 2008 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by karan (Post 5734409)
Hi there just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of guidance on the trade evidence forms my OH is applying as an general electrician. There are four boxes that need to be filled in on the forms but think reading too much into the jargon of the questions just wondering if anyone can give us any guidance or better still templates of how they filled them in. This would be greatly apprieciated as this is our last hurdle for the paper base.
Thanks.

do a search in here ;)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

karan Jan 4th 2008 11:26 am

Thanks steve o your leads were very helpful
Karan:thumbsup:

tombo1979 Jan 28th 2008 8:41 pm

HI wendy
am a electrician hoping to emigrate to adelaide been on web looking for jobs in adelaide not that many came up. Could you tell me how your OH got his? what wages are like compared to england. does he think its better? etc soz for all questions :thumbup:

Wendy Jan 28th 2008 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by tombo1979 (Post 5850671)
HI wendy
am a electrician hoping to emigrate to adelaide been on web looking for jobs in adelaide not that many came up. Could you tell me how your OH got his? what wages are like compared to england. does he think its better? etc soz for all questions :thumbup:

There's usually about 10 - 15 jobs for sparkies advertised weekly, it's also usually pretty quiet around Xmas and the Australia day bank holiday, so you should see the amount of jobs slowly building from now on.

My OH works in manufacturing, so applied for his job through an agency and they got him work within 24 hours of him passing his wiring rules exam (which meant he could apply for his licence). He didn't have much luck before that though.

His wages here are slightly higher than the UK (he was on $24k per year there, and is on $60k here plus overtime which looks like it will bring it up to $70k this year), he does the same job more or less except they don't have him chaning light bulbs here :D and he is being trained up on PLC programming. The company he works for really value him as a member of staff, and have already invested a lot in his training. He isn't working as hard as he did in the UK, and he is home for 3:15pm every day. All in all it's been a good move :thumbsup: