Jealousy?

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice
Default Re: Jealousy?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Jeez what a positive person you are

Whilst there will always be a small minority of people who will not wish someone well, if you put it into perspective it's usually only a small minority.

People who mind don't matter. People who matter don't mind
in general i am a very positive person , but the simple fact remains , a lot of people dont like the fact that somebody else wants to better their life [ wether it be the right desicion or not ] and thats human nature . tell me have you ever lived in a neighbourhood where one neighbour buys a new mondeo and then two weeks later the other neighbour buys a new bmw . same with holidays , conservatorys etc . the simple advice that i have given to the starter of this thread is to keep their cards close to their chest , something like moving to Australia is to much of a thing for anything to stand in the way of hence , a still tongue keeps a wise head .
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:11 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

I always struggled with giving people reasons as to why we were leaving. We weren't leaving for work so basically it was because we wanted a better life for ourselves and our kids. I always wondered if people might interpret that as us saying their lives are crap - which we weren't, of course, but I always felt a bit awkward trying to explain things. We did have one friend who we were very close to who completely cut himself off from us after we told him. We were all out for drinks when we told him, seemed very interested and happy for us - and that was the last we heard from him after years of a strong long-distance (4hr drive) friendship. We've called, emailed, sent invites and cards etc... diddly squat. Maybe he felt we were abandoning him..? I dunno. Just seems like odd behaviour to me.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lerato
Hi all,

Has anyone else encountered spiteful jealousy from others when telling them they are moving to Australia? The majority have been happy for me but some are trying to make my life difficult at work. Andwhen they saw a possible apartment I'd be moving into with amazing views and right on the waterfront, they were really callous and pretty much wished me failure in my move....

I've always wanted this, and whilst I'm aware it might not work, I'm only in my early twenties so it's not like the end of the world if I ever came back to the UK in terms of upheaval etc, no attachments or dependents...

Just wondered if it was a common thing or if others had experienced it. I honestly just thought people would be happy for me.... Probably naive but there we go!

lerato

Oh yes. A couple of people from my work were being nasty when I handed in my notice. I had been there 8 years and considered them my friends, but they soon showed their true colours. One of them asked what I had to offer Australia and made other nasty comments.
If it doesn't work out then so what, at least you gave it a try rather than staying at the same company for 20+ years and when moving house, move to the house next door. I'm just being nasty now about the guy who was nasty to me.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:18 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
We did have one friend who we were very close to who completely cut himself off from us after we told him. We were all out for drinks when we told him, seemed very interested and happy for us - and that was the last we heard from him after years of a strong long-distance (4hr drive) friendship. We've called, emailed, sent invites and cards etc... diddly squat. Maybe he felt we were abandoning him..? I dunno. Just seems like odd behaviour to me.
I have a friendship exactly the same - I came to the conclusion that this friendship was a "face to face" friendship... don't get me wrong, we didnt live that close, but I think from knowing her so long that she just kinda wrote me off as "well, shes gone now"... NOT in a nasty way, just in a sad way

Em x
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

stephen elaine will become famous soon enoughstephen elaine will become famous soon enough

I too have just gone through everything mentioned above, working with so called work friends 8 years (I thought) I think my Boss got wind that I may be going to Oz, I was then told I was up for redundency and that I had lost on points to another Manager whom had no qualification,experience,brain dead, but was a boot licker, had to wait 1 week for assessment of experience,service,attendance etc.( this week was like hell treated like a t..t by work colleagues cold shouldered,ignored,not spoken to etc)Holidays were booked for 11th Dec 2008 3 months earlier.
I was then served with redundency notice friday 28th Nov and put on garden leave with 2 months notice to serve till end of Jan, + holiday pay.Bearing in mind I had just one an award for services to the company been given bonus,pay rise.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Has it ever occurred to you that it is not jealousy at all?

Many people have not the slightest interest in emigrating so why should they be jealous?

One thing that does piss people off (it does me) when people become obsessed with their move to the extent of not being able to talk about anything else and generally boring people to tears with it.

Maybe that is the problem
I can believe that. What people also report is people who gush about it when you tell them your plans for the first time. It is clearly something that was on their mind - (even if they haven't taken action).

There do seem genuine cases of family friction and quite nasty relatives though:

Watchword - it seems to me that the people who criticise their 'MiL', 'OH's sis, my old wanker boss (etc) are often the people who 6 months into their lives in Perth are lamenting the very wit of these same people. 'You don't miss them until they are gone (etc etc)'.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Lambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura about

I notice that the finances of immigrating seem to be a common denominator for awkwardness. While it would be rare to ask how much the shoes you are wearing cost, we have had a lot of people ask how much it costs to ship a dog, what our salaries will be, are the employers paying relocation, etc.

Have found that vague answers like "Well, money is kind of relative in this sort of thing" and a quick topic change tend to be best.

Maybe what I'm saying is that some folks may assume you have to be wealthy to be an expat...but we're not, so no need be jealous!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

I had to tell my boss because I needed a skills reference for my RPL. I was dreading it big time as since I joined the company 2 years ago I've seen lots of people made redundant, plus that fact everyone else here has been around since the dinosaurs!

When I told him he was actually happy for me and agreed what we were doing was the right thing. Since then though what was before a good working relationship has been hit and miss. Suddenly I have to cover extra shifts, I can't take holidays when others are allowed, I've been forced to work all over Christmas even though I had the holiday request in first etc etc.

No other colleagues know and thats the way I'm keeping it. I originally said to my boss I'd give him 3 months notice when I only have to give 1 because it would help them find someone else. Well since his attitude transplant he can stuff that! He's getting 1 months plus all my holiday accrued

My problems are small though compared to my wifes. I won't even go there, I'll let her tell you those details!

But like you say, some people just don't like to see people do something different. If you break away from what they deem to be normal, well, god help you!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:49 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

It might not be jealousy, they probably don't care less what you do, giving the impression they are jealous.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Sometimes people can be jealous without even knowing it themselves. Though this is usually small part of the problem.

People listen to stories down the pub, etc. Such stories are rarely positive, positive stories are mostly boring because its expected, but negative stories are more exciting and useful as warnings, etc. So all their lives people hear these truthful but negative stories about Oz from people they trust. The problem is they haven't heard the other side of the argument, so they have a negative bias which is hard to change.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Watchword - it seems to me that the people who criticise their 'MiL', 'OH's sis, my old wanker boss (etc) are often the people who 6 months into their lives in Perth are lamenting the very wit of these same people. 'You don't miss them until they are gone (etc etc)'.
I am 13 years into complaining about my inlaws... do I get an "excused" note??

Em x

PS not 13 years in Aus tho.. just 13 years feel of the ol' ball and chain as it were! lol!

Last edited by emelems; Dec 5th 2008 at 11:52 am. Reason: quick PS! lol!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I must admit to having been jealous of friends who have moved overseas, but I've come straight out and told them that I am jealous, but at the same time I'm very happy for them.

We've been quite up-front with everyone (except my employer) that we're going through the immigration process just now, and have had (so far) no negative comments.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I must admit to having been jealous of friends who have moved overseas, but I've come straight out and told them that I am jealous, but at the same time I'm very happy for them.

We've been quite up-front with everyone (except my employer) that we're going through the immigration process just now, and have had (so far) no negative comments.
Well that is a good thing ... very positive for you... its a lot easier with friends on your side

Em x