Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info about Melbourne sought?

Info about Melbourne sought?

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Glindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info about Melbourne sought?

Hi, am looking for some info for my friend. She is applying for her visa at present and has three children, two of them under 7, and was interested in moving to Melbourne. She just wants a recommendation of any area that is reasonably priced as she will be renting, think her max is $350 per week, an area that is not too far from the beach, and also not too far from shops, and preferably with good schools, she has heard of Geelong, but would love some info from people that actually live there, could you recommend somewhere, thanks a million.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:26 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info about Melbourne sought?

Originally Posted by Glindy
Hi, am looking for some info for my friend. She is applying for her visa at present and has three children, two of them under 7, and was interested in moving to Melbourne. She just wants a recommendation of any area that is reasonably priced as she will be renting, think her max is $350 per week, an area that is not too far from the beach, and also not too far from shops, and preferably with good schools, she has heard of Geelong, but would love some info from people that actually live there, could you recommend somewhere, thanks a million.
Sent you a PM

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...ommodation.htm

The map on here will also give indication of areas near the beach on the east side. Do not know much about Geelong - name refers to my AFL team. But Geelong is definitely an option too consider.

Last edited by Geelong Gent; Oct 22nd 2008 at 1:31 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:15 am
Just Joined

feeonar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glindy
Hi Glindy - Geelong is a lovely place, but over an hour out of Melbourne and considered to be Victoria's largest 'regional centre'. People do commute to Melbourne to work, but it is a regional train line or wading through traffic over the Westgate bridge and on the freeway which can be quite a hassle considering the traffic issues we have here in Melbourne (in peak hours can take double time to get there!). If she prefers a more 'country' feel to the town which she lives, then Geelong a great place.
However, if she wants to live in Melbourne itself, Williamstown is really nice area just over the Westgate - great schools, very family orientated, right on coastline and within 30 mins to the CBD. The other option on the south eastern side of the bay would be Moorabbin and Highett... but they can be more pricey re: rental accomodation. All areas very well established - shops everywhere (both shopping centres and village style local shops), public transport (mostly trains and buses) and safe for a stroll down to the beach / coast.
... I think your friends kids would also be very keen to hear that Williamstown has three different home made icecream shops in one strip!
Hope this helps - Good luck!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Get her to have a look at realestate.com.au and go by the plan then she can find out areas where rentals suit her budget.

Melbourne is a very large area and it would be best to try to get somewhere on a train line. Google world has all the streets on it now in Melbourne so your friend could follow a train line out and then look up the suburbs. Also google the suburb and there will be information about it on there.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:27 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Dont go to Geelong ..... its rough as a badgers backside there !

Lee
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by feeonar
Hi Glindy - Geelong is a lovely place, but over an hour out of Melbourne and considered to be Victoria's largest 'regional centre'. People do commute to Melbourne to work, but it is a regional train line or wading through traffic over the Westgate bridge and on the freeway which can be quite a hassle considering the traffic issues we have here in Melbourne (in peak hours can take double time to get there!). If she prefers a more 'country' feel to the town which she lives, then Geelong a great place.
However, if she wants to live in Melbourne itself, Williamstown is really nice area just over the Westgate - great schools, very family orientated, right on coastline and within 30 mins to the CBD. The other option on the south eastern side of the bay would be Moorabbin and Highett... but they can be more pricey re: rental accomodation. All areas very well established - shops everywhere (both shopping centres and village style local shops), public transport (mostly trains and buses) and safe for a stroll down to the beach / coast.
... I think your friends kids would also be very keen to hear that Williamstown has three different home made icecream shops in one strip!
Hope this helps - Good luck!
Another good thing about living here in W'town is it's a small peninsula so no through traffic, and NO FAST FOOD CHAINS!
You can avoid the Westgate by catching the train into the city - 20 mins in nothing.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I always suggest to people to log onto another expats website (BE is of course very good too of course!) specifically for expats in Victoria. Its called Britvics (www.Britvics.org).
Good luck to her.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:47 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I always suggest to people to log onto another expats website (BE is of course very good too of course!) specifically for expats in Victoria. Its called Britvics (www.Britvics.org).
Good luck to her.
I can neither confirm not deny that this may or may not be something which might or might not be a good idea

Al
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:48 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...ommodation.htm

The map on here will also give indication of areas near the beach on the east side. Do not know much about Geelong - name refers to my AFL team. But Geelong is definitely an option too consider.
It should be noted that the prices noted on that site are for short term holiday rentals and are not indicative of long term rental figures.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Glindy is an unknown quantity at this point

You are all so good, thanks a million for taking the time out to reply, I will pass the info on.
Thank you.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:11 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Dont go to Geelong ..... its rough as a badgers backside there !

Lee

you living there now
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

I would agree with everything that's been said about Williamstown in terms of its attractiveness and would even add that every time I've been over there the weather seems to be great - even in the middle of winter.

However, from what I understand, it has become increasingly popular in recent years since the wonders of Willy were more widely discovered and property prices have been rising faster than almost anywhere else so I doubt there would be much - certainly not of any quality - available for $350 per week to satisfy a family of that size.

Just did a search for three-bed properties or bigger in W'town for $300 to $400 in realestateview.com.au and it through up just three houses - one at $350 that didn;t even have a photo and is "cute", ie small, and one at $370 that says "Don't judge me by my looks".

If you can get somewhere there, then great, but I'd suggest you're going to have to look at the surrounding, not so nice, areas to meet your budget.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:38 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
you living there now
i'm living the dream
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:28 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
i'm living the dream
And badgers wanting some moisturising cream
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:52 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talbot
Another good thing about living here in W'town is it's a small peninsula so no through traffic, and NO FAST FOOD CHAINS!
You can avoid the Westgate by catching the train into the city - 20 mins in nothing.
I agree-Williamstown is fabulous for families-if I had children it would be top of my list. The jetty, the boats, beach, botanic gardens, the park, nice little cafes and beautiful old houses plus that fantastic view over to the city...We are in S/Yarra which i also love but hubby has to use his car for work and didn't want to neg the bridge on a daily basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.