Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

issed off looking for work

issed off looking for work

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default issed off looking for work

I'm fed up looking for work. I have never been in this situation before. Anyone feel the same. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel. Is this what job hunting is like in Australia if you come from outside OZ, the place to start a new better life? There are other thread I'm sure, I reckon.
Yep, having a moan now, being out of work now four months, OK, only four months.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: issed off looking for work

Four months is a long time to keep positive in the face of no work. I have only just started looking and I am starting to feel panic.

The main problem seems to be that people just dont reply to you. You are left in the situation of no job and no pointers in the right direction either.

Good luck, fingers crossed it all works out.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

I agree. This is 'Thee Moan Thread'. A thread for the employed people to feel good, that they are working, good for them I say and a thread for the unemployed people to have a moan and get things off there chest and say what they want to say. Things will pick up for sure, just depends on how long you can survive. Good luck to all the unemployed. We will look back and talk about it in years to come as past generations have
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Feel for you dude
I have been kicking the cat around home now for 2 weeks!!!
4 months is a long time in my book

What job you do and what qualifications?
Maybe a job change?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

I'm a gigolo.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

No sorry, I'm a mechanical draftsman (there are loads of different types of draftsman) a good one too but means nothing over here. Thanks for the sympathy but its going to be all right we know. I have a had a glass of wine, OK two, can you tell?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Did you go over on your job?
If not then maybe a job change is your next step,cos how long is long enough to be without work?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul & June
No sorry, I'm a mechanical draftsman (there are loads of different types of draftsman) a good one too but means nothing over here. Thanks for the sympathy but its going to be all right we know. I have a had a glass of wine, OK two, can you tell?
I've sent you a PM Paul.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:04 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul & June
Is this what job hunting is like in Australia if you come from outside OZ, the place to start a new better life?
Yes, with no local experience it can be quite difficult getting your foot in the door. Unless you have a very scarce skill-set.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

I took the gamble and came over to find a job, and I did, a good one. I was on cloud nine. Recession hit and then they let twenty of us go.

I know where your coming from, about trying else where. Others have said the same. I have been a boilermaker too in the past, but again, you are against the other unemployed boilermakers, and this will be like any other job you apply for. You do not realise this until you are out of work yourself. Don't become unemployed, you will find out. Hic

As I have said, things will turn out right for us all.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Paul sorry to hear things are still not going well. On a thought, have you any oil and gas experience, or could you tailor your cv towards that side, especially any PDS/PDMS/Smartplant/Autoplant experience? There are some massive LNG rigs getting manned up for in the next few months in Perth.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've sent you a PM Paul.
he was joking about being a gigolo
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Just a thought.....

In a competitive market, you need to offer something different to a prospective employer. Stand out from the rest.

So....

On the basis that you have no job now, why not offer your services for nothing for say 2 weeks.

This has something appealing to the employer, who can admittedly ditch you after this period. However, it does get your foot in the door, and provides the opportunity to show how good you are.

In the event that they do not keep you on, at least you can truthfully say that you have experience in the country. It may also lead to contacts or other opportunities that might not be obvious to you at first. So you haven't really lost out, and you weren't earning anyway.

You never know, the golf course conversation might be "..I have great difficulty finding a good guy". "Well I have someone with me who is great, but won't be able to keep him on after 2 weeks. Do you want to meet him" etc.

This does assume that you can afford to work for nothing for the period.

To those who say that this smacks of desperation, well it does show initiative and illustrates that you are prepared to put some trust in a prospective employee (even if you aren't really!). It also makes you STAND OUT from all the other applicants.

Best of luck

TD
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

I have had some agents and networking acquaintances that have been interested in taking me on board. But when they ask the questions, 'Do you have oil and gas experience', thats when your failed

Work for free is a good idea, but can you show much in that time. There is usually a long training curve in drafting. But I will try this approach when I call back to these companies.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Good for you.

At least you have the opportunity to say "let me prove my worth"

TD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.