Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

internet soooo bloody expensive

internet soooo bloody expensive

Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: internet soooo bloody expensive

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Can you find a mobile company which is transparent about how much value you get? What exactly does '$160 of credit' mean? Why not tell us how many minutes this buys?
You mean like 3 quote
On this plan, there is a bonus of $350 (500 minutes) worth of free talk time per month
Therefore with them $160 would be about 250 minutes.

Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You mean like 3 quote
Please post me a link where you don't have to search for what $160 of value means.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Please post me a link where you don't have to search for what $160 of value means.
I don't think there is one is there?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

You mean like 3 quote
Isn't clear on this page...

http://www.three.com.au/caps
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:17 pm
ABCDiamond

What about mobile phones? A huge rip-off. Text messages alone - as far as I can see - seem to be twice as expensive as the UK.
A quote on a one site says: "Here in the UK the typical cost is 10p per message" so that's about 25 cents, which is what I pay on a my very basic plan.

My daughter gets 520 texts per month for $10, so that's 2 cents per text.

How much does everyone else pay for texts ?

Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

A quote on a one site says: "Here in the UK the typical cost is 10p per message" so that's about 25 cents, which is what I pay on a my very basic plan.

My daughter gets 520 texts per month for $10, so that's 2 cents per text.

How much does everyone else pay for texts ?
Hang on, can we finish with the transparency of plans and included minutes before we move on to texts?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Isn't clear on this page...

http://www.three.com.au/caps

I see your problem, that page you quoted only shows 200 minutes for $160...

Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Hang on, can we finish with the transparency of plans and included minutes before we move on to texts?
But I was only answering your point on Texts in post 29 ....

Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/...09/07/3com.jpg
And I see yours (again).

Unable or unwilling to mention on your post that this is just 3 to 3 calls? Nothing to do with the $150 of value to everyone else in the country.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:29 pm
ABCDiamond

I assume we have finished with the actual thread topic on internet costs then ?

Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/...09/07/3com.jpg
Wait I've found a transparent pricing plan....

anytime minutes
inclusive texts

....but it's for the UK.... 10 pounds a month as well - can't be bad.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...&WT.svl=value2
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:34 pm
ABCDiamond

And I see yours (again).

Unable or unwilling to mention on your post that this is just 3 to 3 calls? Nothing to do with the $150 of value to everyone else in the country.
The normal cost of calls between 3 to 3 is the same as for other networks, therefore the same calculation stands.

Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Wait I've found a transparent pricing plan....

anytime minutes
inclusive texts

....but it's for the UK.... 10 pounds a month as well - can't be bad.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...&WT.svl=value2
with Text messages (per message) once you've used your inclusive texts charged at 12p.

Vodafone £10 or $25 pm for 100 minutes and 500 texts.

The Vodafone Australia closest plan is $29 pm with $150 of calls, which is about 150 minutes or 535 texts, so Yes, Vodafone UK is cheaper than Vodafone Australia.

However, there are better options than Vodafone, I have just switched one phone plan from vodafone for that very reason.

Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

...The Vodafone Australia closest plan is $29 pm with $150 of calls, which is about 150 minutes or 535 texts, so Yes, Vodafone UK is cheaper than Vodafone Australia....
TPG is much cheaper than that for calls. They use the Optus network and Optus charges much more. http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.html
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:52 pm
ABCDiamond

One reason that Australian Mobile phone plans don't often quote the minutes that a certain amount of dollars will buy, is the following example from my mobile plan:

260 x 15 second calls totalling 65 minutes, would cost $130.00
118 x 1 minute calls totalling 118 minutes, would cost $129.80
19 x 8 minute calls totalling 152 minutes, would cost $127.30

or 37 x 1 minute calls and 20 x 2 minute calls and 11 x 3 minute calls and 6 x 4 minute calls totalling 134 minutes would cost $129.40

Therefore $130 will buy between 65 and 152 minutes, or maybe more or less, depending....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.