Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

internet soooo bloody expensive

internet soooo bloody expensive

Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:04 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: internet soooo bloody expensive

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Rubbish - no wonder prices in Australia continue to be so high for many things when there are apologists defending vested interests.
Is this why supermarket prices are so high? Why beer is so expensive in WA? Why houses are overpriced?

Check out prices in other 'small' countries South Korea....? Or if you wish to revert to the apologists second line of defence - that the Australian population has very low density (even though a large proportion lives in high density areas) check out prices in Canada.

The reason that prices are so high is because consumers accept them and the government is complicit in allowing business to get away with it.
Supermarket prices are so high compared with what? If those in Britain then not the case other than for cherry picked items.

Beer, the Comonwealth wants to make sure that the drinking man runs out of money before they get too plastered http://www.absolutehomebrew.com.au/?page_id=25

And Canada is an marketing appendage to the USA and Mexico where there are 20 times the wealthy consumers and 40 times the cheap workers.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:12 am
ABCDiamond

Long waiting times appear to be the norm here. I uploaded some photos on to photobox on Tuesday for delivery to a UK address. They were printed on Wednesday and posted the same day. They arrived on Thursday.

I went on to Harvey Norman's website to get some printed for us - "please wait 10 days for your order to be complete".
You are better of using somewhere that does them the same day, or next day, rather than somewhere that advertises 10 days.

Places like
www.rabbitphoto.com.au
www.expressphoto.com.au

I use Kmart and get mine in 2 days, unless I want them same day.

Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:17 am
ABCDiamond

I uploaded some photos on to photobox on Tuesday for delivery to a UK address.
I went on to Harvey Norman's website to get some printed for us - "please wait 10 days for your order to be complete".
Photobucket actually say that it can take up to 4 working days for delivery.

www.expressphoto.com.au say 1-2 working days

It would be interesting to see how long Harvey Norman 'actually' take. But I am not game to try...

Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by painter in aus
http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/packages.jsp

my parents in uk pay $15 for unmetered usage

why do we in aus pay so bloody much for 10gb ?

and how about this for mobile broadband............

http://www.cio.de/news/cio_worldnews/893483/
How much are YOU paying then ?

How's this one from my provider...

ADSL2 with 25Gb peak usage + unlimited off peak for $29.90 per month

I have no idea, maybe they can't shop around ?

Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:40 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Exactly...

PS... Nice haircut...
A throw back to my days when a number 1 was a professional necessity. Have just stuck with it ever since. Its just weird when I let my hair grow now

Have grown it for Charity and then again to shave it off - double Be brave to Shave cash
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How's this one from my provider...

ADSL2 with 25Gb peak usage + unlimited off peak for $29.90 per month
For Information; Telstra Bigpond charge $99.95 pm for that plan, WITHOUT the Off peak extra

Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:55 am
ABCDiamond

The reason that prices are so high is because consumers accept them
I agree.
It would be much better if people shopped around, rather than just pay those high prices and then complain about it later.

Shop around, find the best options and tell your friends, and anyone you know where the best buys are. That should work to give the business to those that price it right, and force the overchargers to cut prices.

But will it happen ? or will people just pay and complain later..... or what is even worse, some people then say, "If it is cheaper it can't be as good" !! (At that point, I give up )

Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/packages.jsp

my parents in uk pay $15 for unmetered usage

and how about this for mobile broadband............

http://www.cio.de/news/cio_worldnews/893483/
The std price if not packaged with an O2 mobile is 12.23 pounds which is normally around $30. The speed is only 8Mbit (ADSL1) rather than 24Mbit (ADLS2+).

You can get ADSL2+ here for $39 with 30GB download limit so a lot faster but with download limit. Our downloads are quota capped due to high cost of buying throughput on limited expensive intercontinental sea cables.

I imagine the larger UK market leads to economies of scale as well. As you move to progressively smaller markets competition is less fierce. eg imagine an American moving to the UK or an Australian moving to NZ.

It is also hugely expensive to cover a lot more landmass than smaller countries.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish - no wonder prices in Australia continue to be so high for many things when there are apologists defending vested interests.
Is this why supermarket prices are so high? Why beer is so expensive in WA? Why houses are overpriced?

Check out prices in other 'small' countries South Korea....? Or if you wish to revert to the apologists second line of defence - that the Australian population has very low density (even though a large proportion lives in high density areas) check out prices in Canada.

The reason that prices are so high is because consumers accept them and the government is complicit in allowing business to get away with it.
Very true. I think being in major retail here is an easy ride. There is little competition in some retail sectors, the shopping public is undemanding and compliant and the government does not rock the boat.

Easy, peasy for big retail in Australia.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

So Kiwi's just happen to be less demanding consumers than us and the UK just happen to be more demanding than both and the US just happen to be the most demanding consumers of all - nothing to do with other factors like population, location, size at all - all down to the consumer is it?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
The std price if not packaged with an O2 mobile is 12.23 pounds
But what price will it be tomorrow.... ( I learned years ago to read the small print)
Offer ends 31 July 2009. Customers must join O2 Home Broadband by 31st July 2009

Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:55 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

dont forget for mobile broadband some UK providers have the option of still paying in the uk and using it in Aus on the same network. so say for 3 network pay in uk but use the 3 Aus here.

usually works out way cheaper and you get a bigger G limit say 15G compared to 7G
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
So Kiwi's just happen to be less demanding consumers than us and the UK just happen to be more demanding than both and the US just happen to be the most demanding consumers of all - nothing to do with other factors like population, location, size at all - all down to the consumer is it?
Did you read the last sentence of the post?

Consumers should shop around as Amazulu says - but sometimes this is easier said than done - especially with supermarkets.

As I recall, the UK supermarket landscape changed when WalMart came in 1999. I don't know whether there exist certain barriers to entry to Australia but I did hear someone from the government when defending the decision to abandon the GroceryWatch website saying that Australia would make it easier for foreign entrants.

And then we need to tackle the regulation of everything else - selling newspapers in a supermarket, selling beer in a supermarket etc etc.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

What about mobile phones? A huge rip-off. Text messages alone - as far as I can see - seem to be twice as expensive as the UK.

Can you get a mobile phone with carry-over credit from month to month?

Can you find a mobile company which is transparent about how much value you get? What exactly does '$160 of credit' mean? Why not tell us how many minutes this buys?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:08 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

What about mobile phones? A huge rip-off. Text messages alone - as far as I can see - seem to be twice as expensive as the UK.

Can you get a mobile phone with carry-over credit from month to month?

Can you find a mobile company which is transparent about how much value you get? What exactly does '$160 of credit' mean? Why not tell us how many minutes this buys?
It's the lettuce that gets me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.