Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

internet soooo bloody expensive

internet soooo bloody expensive

Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough
Default internet soooo bloody expensive

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/packages.jsp

my parents in uk pay $15 for unmetered usage

why do we in aus pay so bloody much for 10gb ?

and how about this for mobile broadband............

http://www.cio.de/news/cio_worldnews/893483/

Last edited by painter in aus; Jul 30th 2009 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: internet soooo bloody expensive

We pay more because our market is small compared to Europe and the US. Also services have to cover the whole of Australia which is a little bit bigger than UK. Farmer Jones who lives in the outback has to have service too.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Because of the Telstra wholesale monopoly. I mean if someone makes a profit of $5 BILLION on the back of a relatively small marketplace in terms of consumer population, someone, somewhere is being over charged. And that someone is the general public.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:50 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Because of the Telstra wholesale monopoly. I mean if someone makes a profit of $5 BILLION on the back of a relatively small marketplace in terms of consumer population, someone, somewhere is being over charged. And that someone is the general public.
Exactly...

PS... Nice haircut...
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

We live in a residential community and pay $130 a month for 35gb (it is fibre optic tho - although doesnt appear much quicker than UK Sky broadband)

And then 130 a month for Austar, dont get me started - worth the sacrifice tho.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Also

Why the hell does it take so long to get connected. Waiting nearly a month now and they are just getting round to putting the phoneline in. Probably have to wait another month to get the broadband switched on.

In the mean time have to use a prepaid usb dongle from telstra which is SHITE!!!

Paddy
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painter in aus

I pay $70 for 70Gb of 24Mb ADSL2+. I think it's not too bad - 24Mb is not common in the UK, usually 8Mb is the standard.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I pay $70 for 70Gb of 24Mb ADSL2+. I think it's not too bad - 24Mb is not common in the UK, usually 8Mb is the standard.
who with?......doesnt sound to bad a deal
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:32 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

British shareholders were rolled during the dot.con and paid for a large amount of installed capacity up front, most losing their money; consumers now largely only paying maintenance costs.

Only a few relatively staid operators, like Singtel and Telstra, installed capacity in Aus and only where it made business sense. Now Aus will have its own dot.con in the form of the $43 billion National Broadband Network paid for by the Commonwealth; a cost of $5,000 per household to pay for installation costs.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy
who with?......doesnt sound to bad a deal

iinet, I'm on the home 5 package. They recently increased the cap from 65Gb to 70Gb at no extra cost.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that people who are not with the big T tend to have to wait longer for phones etc this is probably because other companies have to deal with T to get the phone lines. I am a stauch supporter of T and hanging on to our shares like every other supporter of T which upsets T no end. They tried to get us all to sell them back to them but not many did l.

I must say though I get excellent service from T and therefore I rather pay more, as they say pay peanuts get monkeys.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

. . . cos this is ozstraya
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
We pay more because our market is small compared to Europe and the US. Also services have to cover the whole of Australia which is a little bit bigger than UK. Farmer Jones who lives in the outback has to have service too.
Rubbish - no wonder prices in Australia continue to be so high for many things when there are apologists defending vested interests.
Is this why supermarket prices are so high? Why beer is so expensive in WA? Why houses are overpriced?

Check out prices in other 'small' countries South Korea....? Or if you wish to revert to the apologists second line of defence - that the Australian population has very low density (even though a large proportion lives in high density areas) check out prices in Canada.

The reason that prices are so high is because consumers accept them and the government is complicit in allowing business to get away with it.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Also

Why the hell does it take so long to get connected. Waiting nearly a month now and they are just getting round to putting the phoneline in. Probably have to wait another month to get the broadband switched on.

In the mean time have to use a prepaid usb dongle from telstra which is SHITE!!!

Paddy
Long waiting times appear to be the norm here. I uploaded some photos on to photobox on Tuesday for delivery to a UK address. They were printed on Wednesday and posted the same day. They arrived on Thursday.

I went on to Harvey Norman's website to get some printed for us - "please wait 10 days for your order to be complete".
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Check out prices in other 'small' countries South Korea....?
South Korea Population (2008): 48.4 million (closer in size to UK than Australia)
Australia Population (2009 est.): 21.8 million.

With 48.5 million people, South Korea has one of the world's highest population densities. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2800.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.