Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest rates have gone up again

Interest rates have gone up again

Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Trixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really nice
Default Re: Interest rates have gone up again

Originally Posted by bcworld
But on that note quick question for you:

There were 10 rate rises under Howard, say there were only 3 in this Rudd term.....would you say that made Rudd the better economic manager?
I would judge firstly on my standard of living. Is that selfish, yes, but everyone else is more so. Essentially I judge Howard on bringing interest rates down from 17%. (I paid 17% and 19% for my first home, it is a burden, but the falls are like gravy). I judge him (his government) for the rates creeping up but feel they would've kept further rises minimal. I DO judge the government for being in charge when my super suffered, not for all the loss but for the environment they controlled and that contributed to it. I wish Howard had freed up our super options earlier but am pleased it did happen. I think investment 'experts' are bastards. A lot of people's compulsory investments for their super are run by entrusted companies. You allocate 20% for Australian shares but you still have no say as to what shares they purchase. It's not as simple as me wanting to invest in gold and being too dumb or lazy to do it. My investment portfolio is not that specific.

If Rudd and co. can stem interest at only three rises I would be impressed and given them credit for offering my financial future some stability. I'm not poor but not overly comfortable. My mortgage is not quite 200,000, easy half the equity in the house. I have a little saved but I RESENT being the easy target when inflation needs controlling.

Last edited by Trixy; Feb 12th 2008 at 7:26 am.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Trixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really nice

Originally Posted by markallwood
Trixy, all this discussion has come about because of your post on page 5, where you reckon that the interest rate rises are the fault of Kevin Rudd!! Which is garbage.

You're just arguing for the sake of it now....why not just admit "ok, I'm wrong....Rudd hasn't had any effect on interest rates" ?!!!
I do blame the government in charge. I'm allowed. I blame his goverment for the banks adding extras too. Suck it up that we don't all think the same.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:41 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixy
I do blame the government in charge. I'm allowed. I blame his goverment for the banks adding extras too. Suck it up that we don't all think the same.
Yes, you are allowed to think whatever you like. You can blame whoever you want for whatever you want. But you should consider the possibility, that perhaps your beliefs are wrong.

Think about what you have based your beliefs on. Are they based on any evidence? Do you actually know anything about economics and equity markets? Or are you just going by what you have seen on channel 7 and read in the couriermail?

If its the latter, then you should at least entertain the possibility that your beliefs are based on dud info.

cheers
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markallwood
Yes, you are allowed to think whatever you like. You can blame whoever you want for whatever you want. But you should consider the possibility, that perhaps your beliefs are wrong.

Think about what you have based your beliefs on. Are they based on any evidence? Do you actually know anything about economics and equity markets? Or are you just going by what you have seen on channel 7 and read in the couriermail?

If its the latter, then you should at least entertain the possibility that your beliefs are based on dud info.

cheers
I took economics at Uni but since it was not an English university maybe that doesn't count?

Please don't condescend to ask me to give out my qualifications so you can judge whether it justifies my O-P-I-N-I-O-N. I base what I say mostly on my experiences and whatever learning I've picked up on the way. Really I haven't asked you to prove yourself to me so I can decide whether you should believe what you believe.

I loathe most mainstream media.

Honestly mark, this is less about a belief than a reaction I have based on my experiences and judgement. A belief requires faith and don't get me started on that! I wish you guys would afford me the right to not think as you do without psycho analysing me for it. I haven't asked you why you think the way you do and frankly I've spent too much time and PAGES explaining why I do hold my opinions. If you missed those posts.. tough shit.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I took economics at Uni but since it was not an English university maybe that doesn't count?
What exactly is the source of this chip on your shoulder?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 8:30 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't condescend to ask me to give out my qualifications so you can judge whether it justifies my O-P-I-N-I-O-N. I base what I say mostly on my experiences and whatever learning I've picked up on the way. Really I haven't asked you to prove yourself to me so I can decide whether you should believe what you believe.

Honestly mark, this is less about a belief than a reaction I have based on my experiences and judgement. A belief requires faith and don't get me started on that! I wish you guys would afford me the right to not think as you do without psycho analysing me for it. I haven't asked you why you think the way you do and frankly I've spent too much time and PAGES explaining why I do hold my opinions. If you missed those posts.. tough shit.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you at all. But I don't think that the question of Rudd being to blame for interest rate rises is actually a matter of opinion, as you make it out to be!

anyway, no offence intended.
Mark
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Whatever. And yeah, I did find your attitude offensive.. still do.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:16 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Too many words, cut it down to the bone and more people will read it.

Don't thank me now
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

**** off. Is that succinct enough? Honestly you people are so bloody patronising.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:28 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

**** off. Is that succinct enough? Honestly you people are so bloody patronising.
Only trying to help Trix, you want to get your point across to as many people as possible don't you?

Look, PM me anything you need proof-reading and I'll help you out
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Creep.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and if interest rates have gone up so much then why is our super down five thousand in two months?
Ok, Trixy.....I didn't realise you took economics and everyone else here clearly needs an education. So maybe you could help out with your question above first? The connection between interest rates and your super - discuss.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Only trying to help Trix, you want to get your point across to as many people as possible don't you?

Look, PM me anything you need proof-reading and I'll help you out
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rabsody
Typical pom.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
Ok, Trixy.....I didn't realise you took economics and everyone else here clearly needs an education. So maybe you could help out with your question above first? The connection between interest rates and your super - discuss.

I have. I'm truly sick of you. You are obnoxious and unreasonable. I have grown to dislike the English a lot today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.