Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance claims - what happens now?

Insurance claims - what happens now?

Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance claims - what happens now?

[QUOTE=IndieG;9283968]Crown delivered our stuff home today. Only 1 carton (out of 121) containing hubby's computer and finance books is missing. So that is good news.

Unfortunately, some very nice furniture was damaged (large crack on a sofa leg), chipped coffee table, broken lamp shade etc etc. Will be taking it up with Crown tomorrow. Was pretty upset to see the wrapping had come off some of the furniture (probably opened at customs and not repacked properly thereafter?). All the stuff is fully insured.

The sofa forms part of a set. Ideally I'd like to get it repaired rather than replaced (and hope that this will be possible). I don't really want a new replacement set as I want to keep my old one for sentimental reasons Do I need to arrange for repairs and get the insurance company's approval for repairing the damaged furniture? They will obviously need to send a surveyor as the insured value of the sofa set alone is $8000

Have taken before and after photos, damage that was immediately noticeable was noted on the delivery sheet and acknowledged by Crown. Will Crown compensate for the damage/ missing items or would it be the insurance? Surely, Crown also has some liability? Anything else that I should be aware of /needs to be done before I start working on pursuing an insurance claim?

we had the same problems, Crown didnt take any responsiblity at all & their arguement was we have someone else's insurance we need to sort it out with them, I hope things have improved since our experince with them,that was 4 years ago.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We were also LP, they pay once you can prove the damages arent replaceble or it can get repaired than they just pay you for the repaires once you show them your invoices well you need to scan & email to them.
Thanks for that. We've sent them pictures and they asked us to buy the stuff and send them the receipts, which I will now do.

We've had some branches neatly (hacked off?) removed and lots of leaves plucked off our artificial plants. I think it is probably the customs making sure they are not real plants...lol.

We're getting quotes from furniture restorers and will send it to them. I am hoping I don't have to replace my furniture - I'd hate to do that.

PS: Crown were absolutely useless - you're right, I would never recommend them to anyone. They simply asked me to go and sort it out with our insurance company..

Last edited by IndieG; Apr 28th 2011 at 3:50 am.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as requested by Letton Percival, I went and bought the replacement items and have sent them the receipts. They've now advised a loss adjuster will be in touch with us in view of the high costs of repairing my furniture.

They better pay for the items already purchased by me
Old May 16th 2011, 9:46 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Well, as requested by Letton Percival, I went and bought the replacement items and have sent them the receipts. They've now advised a loss adjuster will be in touch with us in view of the high costs of repairing my furniture.

They better pay for the items already purchased by me
This is my biggest bug bear with insurance companies. They claim to bring peace of mind but instead they just move the worry from how do I pay to replace this if it is damaged or stolen to I wonder if they will pay up.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rambi
This is my biggest bug bear with insurance companies. They claim to bring peace of mind but instead they just move the worry from how do I pay to replace this if it is damaged or stolen to I wonder if they will pay up.
You're right, am now getting quite peeved with Letton Percival tbh. First, I am told that I have to buy the stuff and then send them the receipts for reimbursement. Having done that a week ago there is now no word from them They better pay up this week.