Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance claims - what happens now?

Insurance claims - what happens now?

Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance claims - what happens now?

Crown delivered our stuff home today. Only 1 carton (out of 121) containing hubby's computer and finance books is missing. So that is good news.

Unfortunately, some very nice furniture was damaged (large crack on a sofa leg), chipped coffee table, broken lamp shade etc etc. Will be taking it up with Crown tomorrow. Was pretty upset to see the wrapping had come off some of the furniture (probably opened at customs and not repacked properly thereafter?). All the stuff is fully insured.

The sofa forms part of a set. Ideally I'd like to get it repaired rather than replaced (and hope that this will be possible). I don't really want a new replacement set as I want to keep my old one for sentimental reasons Do I need to arrange for repairs and get the insurance company's approval for repairing the damaged furniture? They will obviously need to send a surveyor as the insured value of the sofa set alone is $8000

Have taken before and after photos, damage that was immediately noticeable was noted on the delivery sheet and acknowledged by Crown. Will Crown compensate for the damage/ missing items or would it be the insurance? Surely, Crown also has some liability? Anything else that I should be aware of /needs to be done before I start working on pursuing an insurance claim?

Cheers

Edit: Oops, sorry posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, could you pls move this to the correct forum? Thanks

Last edited by IndieG; Apr 4th 2011 at 10:07 am.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance claims - what happens next?

Crown delivered our stuff home today. Only 1 carton (out of 121) containing hubby's computer and finance books is missing. So that is good news.

Unfortunately, some very nice furniture was damaged (large crack on a sofa leg), chipped coffee table, broken lamp shade etc etc. Will be taking it up with Crown tomorrow. Was pretty upset to see the wrapping had come off some of the furniture (probably opened at customs and not repacked properly thereafter?). All the stuff is fully insured.

The sofa forms part of a set. Ideally I'd like to get it repaired rather than replaced (and hope that this will be possible). I don't really want a new replacement set as I want to keep my old one for sentimental reasons Do I need to arrange for repairs and get the insurance company's approval for repairing the damaged furniture? They will obviously need to send a surveyor as the insured value of the sofa set alone is $8000

Have taken before and after photos, damage that was immediately noticeable was noted on the delivery sheet and acknowledged by Crown. Will Crown compensate for the damage/ missing items or would it be the insurance? Surely, Crown also has some liability? Anything else that I should be aware of /needs to be done before I start working on pursuing an insurance claim?

Cheers
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance claims - what happens now?

Originally Posted by IndieG

Edit: Oops, sorry posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, could you pls move this to the correct forum? Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

I would think your insurance company would compensate, not Crown. We used Crown to ship, took Crown insurance, and so Crown settled the claim.

If you didn't insure with them then I wouldn't think they will pay out. Probably best contact your insurer. I know we had the option to take out extra insurance to cover matching sets and we did - but it cost extra.

Hope it goes smoothly, I must say we had no bother at all getting our pay out for damaged items.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
I would think your insurance company would compensate, not Crown. We used Crown to ship, took Crown insurance, and so Crown settled the claim.

If you didn't insure with them then I wouldn't think they will pay out. Probably best contact your insurer. I know we had the option to take out extra insurance to cover matching sets and we did - but it cost extra.

Hope it goes smoothly, I must say we had no bother at all getting our pay out for damaged items.
Thanks!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:59 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance claims - what happens next?

Our mattress was damaged by the removers. Although it was obviously the removers fault all the dealings we had was with the insurance company. We had to submit a claim and an estimate for the replacement mattress. They just paid the amount without an assessor. I can't remember exactly how much but it was something like $2000. They just paid cash.

I know it's annoying as you now have to sort it out when it was the removers' fault but you just have to let go of that annoyance.

Last edited by Rambi; Apr 4th 2011 at 9:03 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks

I'll take pictures of the damage and send it. Will see how it all shapes out..
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged - saves people typing twice
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rambi
We had to submit a claim and an estimate for the replacement mattress. They just paid the amount without an assessor. I can't remember exactly how much but it was something like $2000. They just paid cash.
That is what I thought would be the case for us too. But our insurance company wants us to go and buy the stuff and send them receipts which I am not at all comfortable with. I think I should ask them to either pay me cash or send them links and they can order it and replace the stuff for us. Moreover where do I get receipts from if I buy the stuff online??
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:18 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

That is what I thought would be the case for us too. But our insurance company wants us to go and buy the stuff and send them receipts which I am not at all comfortable with. I think I should ask them to either pay me cash or send them links and they can order it and replace the stuff for us. Moreover where do I get receipts from if I buy the stuff online??
That's a pain. You can usually print a receipt when you buy online. Or sometimes they attach a receipt with the confirmation email.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rambi
That's a pain. You can usually print a receipt when you buy online. Or sometimes they attach a receipt with the confirmation email.
Yeah, that's what I plan to do - print it online and send it. But am wondering why they aren't paying first Surely they don't expect me to cough up 2.5 grand upfront.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:07 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Yeah, that's what I plan to do - print it online and send it. But am wondering why they aren't paying first Surely they don't expect me to cough up 2.5 grand upfront.
It probably depends on the company or possibly the policy. I assume you've called them about it.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

who is your insurance with? cause we also went with Crown & we also had boxes missing, I must say they had good taste to pick the nice boxes out we never got any money paid for the missing boxes, but for the damage stuff we had to take it our PC & TV to repair shops of sony to prove it happened during the move, but we didnt get as much as we thought we get.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, it is Letton Percival (and the insurance company is Kiln).

Crown has lost one carton containing my hubby's books and computer accessories. I don't really want to cough up the money upfront and risk them not approving payment for some reason. Also, aren't they supposed to send in surveyors or is the amount claimed too little for that (they all add up to around 2.5k)? Thank God for online shopping though - it takes away some of the pain as I hate shopping!!

Will call them today and see how it goes.

Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, it is Letton Percival (and the insurance company is Kiln).

Crown has lost one carton containing my hubby's books and computer accessories. I don't really want to cough up the money upfront and risk them not approving payment for some reason. Also, aren't they supposed to send in surveyors or is the amount claimed too little for that (they all add up to around 2.5k)? Thank God for online shopping though - it takes away some of the pain as I hate shopping!!

Will call them today and see how it goes.

Thanks
We were also LP, they pay once you can prove the damages arent replaceble or it can get repaired than they just pay you for the repaires once you show them your invoices well you need to scan & email to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.