Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on Bricklayers hours of work etc

Info on Bricklayers hours of work etc

Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on Bricklayers hours of work etc

Let's keep the thread polite everyone, obviously there is a great range of earnings available in the trade, but as with every other trade it varies a huge amount from what can be earned at the bottom of the tree starting out, up to the possible earnings at the top.
Room for everyone's views, and from reading the thead it seems that everyone is accurate in the sphere about which they are talking.

To the OP, do a search through the forum and you will find numerous other threads on the same subject, with much the same info - at the bottom, the earnings are probably kak, at the top you can make a good living. Personally I take my hat off to the lot of you, doing that sort of job in this weather deserves a decent wage in return, whatever your level in the industry.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:06 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Hi Timber ,I know of subbies here in perth who are earning 5000 a week BUT they have 30 bricklayers on and 15 labourers and a wage bill on average of over 50000 a week ,sure he is gettin a good wedge but a hell of a risk and a hell of a bank overdraft.
He is statrting to sweat now as he has no work coming up after easter and a huge lifestyle to pay for still ie huge house ,brand new 4 wheeler and an expensive wife .
Thats the crux huh.

The bigger the pay off, the bigger the outlay risk and responsibility.

We could all sit here, spouting what we can have and could earn, but the reality is ... be realistic.

Brickies work bloody hard, harder than most trades, and in my opinion deserve the best pay on site.

However, that isnt the case, and unless you are running 3 or 4 teams of 3 n 1 gangs, with mixture of price work, and flat work, then the reality is your gonna be earning good to average wages, and KNOW you have worked for it.

I still maintain, the wage here is on par with uk, if not slightly lower, but thats DOLLAR to POUND !!!

I had weeks in the uk, we could pull [edit good money] ! but it was spits n spates , fits n bursts !

Apart from running round keeping tabs on who is doing what, and who shoulda been where, and the taxman and vat man chomping at the bit.. whats the bloody point?

Im happier doing what i do now, and earning basic money by comparison, and enjoying my life.
Ste
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

andy-heather is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by king kong
i was agreeing with you and just stating what can be earnt here in perth and you are on the money with the calculations .
Its a misnomer all bricklayers are wallowing in wods of cash but it seems to be a myth thats been going on for years and years and a lot of it is down to fact people look a the price per brick and dont factor in costs to the subbies ie workers comp for starters which is well in excess of 50-60000 a year for a small 3-1 squad .
thinking of comeing over to start this course silver trowel in perth have u heard of it if so is it the right way to get in to bricklaying cost £13000 dus it help geting permanent residency
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

How come everybody who posts about this 'silver trowel' scheme is a first time poster?

Why haven't the ones who posted about it before ever returned?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:36 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy-heather
thinking of comeing over to start this course silver trowel in perth have u heard of it if so is it the right way to get in to bricklaying cost £13000 dus it help geting permanent residency
I have heard of it but i wouldnt be wasting my money on it ,you would be better off starting off as a labourer and picking up the trowel that way .
I dare say it would help you get residency but wether it would be on par with a 4year city guilds or NVQ course ,i really dont know .

Last edited by king kong; Jan 30th 2008 at 12:45 am.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough

This is directed to Timber Floor..... HONEST, RELIABLE TRUTH..... so whoever has a problem with your answers forget it.

My hubbie a brickie and every word you've wrote from the beginning is the utmost truth.. my hubbies has also taken a 50% decrease in wage which has left us struggling. But you know what makes me laugh the minute someone asks me what my hubby does and you reply "brickie" answer is " jesus your made up so" eh don't think so.... why do I have two jobs to fit around our three children (shit came here with 200,000) no not mad spenders... just bought a house when we arrived tried to be sensible.

If you can earn 3500,00 per wk how come we currently know 3 british brickies unemployed in perth... PLUStwo we know working for subbies at 1250 per wk but no super paid and no tax paid, no holiday pay etc.....

So good on ya Timber people need to listen and let these people know that are coming over expecting 3500,00 per wk.. .shit i'd have the lot if I was earning that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1#

what part of perth you in anyhow/s..

Yvonne
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:59 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YAFOLEY
This is directed to Timber Floor..... HONEST, RELIABLE TRUTH..... so whoever has a problem with your answers forget it.

My hubbie a brickie and every word you've wrote from the beginning is the utmost truth.. my hubbies has also taken a 50% decrease in wage which has left us struggling. But you know what makes me laugh the minute someone asks me what my hubby does and you reply "brickie" answer is " jesus your made up so" eh don't think so.... why do I have two jobs to fit around our three children (shit came here with 200,000) no not mad spenders... just bought a house when we arrived tried to be sensible.

If you can earn 3500,00 per wk how come we currently know 3 british brickies unemployed in perth... PLUStwo we know working for subbies at 1250 per wk but no super paid and no tax paid, no holiday pay etc.....

So good on ya Timber people need to listen and let these people know that are coming over expecting 3500,00 per wk.. .shit i'd have the lot if I was earning that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1#

what part of perth you in anyhow/s..

Yvonne
Hi yvonne ,i think you may have some of the posts mixed up a little ,timber was running through what the wages are really like for the average joe and another poster was saying how much they was earning which was way in excess of what can be earnt on wages .
I also am a brickie and i have stated my income has dropped by 50% also ,more on some weeks .
I am in perth and earn 300 a day plus gst but since before xmas it has dropped right off and i at first wondered if it was just our team but after asking around it seems to be right through the people i know here .
I have at the moment been offered work in the uk doing extensions with a good friend of mine and he seems to have plenty of work at the moment and as im heading there on the 19th feb i may have to stay for a while untill it picks back up here .Hope it picks up for you guys.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Babydub77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I am moving to Townsville the end of July with my partner if all goes to plan.

I have a job at the Mater Hospital but my partner will be looking for employment in the building trade. He has a city and guilds certificate in bricklaying and has been doing this since he left school in 1986 (age 37 now). He can plaster, tile kitchens and floors etc and put his hand to anything really. He has no longer got his certificates will this make it difficult to find a job?

Any advice would be appreciated...