Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This immigration lark really is stressful - hospital for me last night!

This immigration lark really is stressful - hospital for me last night!

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: This immigration lark really is stressful - hospital for me last night!

Had a panic attack on a plane coming back from Cyprus, bought on by alchohol withdrawal and dehydration. Iy you think its bad having on at home what about at 38,000 ft :scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This immigration lark really is stressful - hospital for me last night!

OMG - you have just brought back so many memories for me

Are you relaxing at all? I had a racing heart beat more than once during the emigration process - stressed out - well YES Oh and taking my driving test, well thats another story :scared: Thought I was gonna die!!

As others have already said, you really do need to try and relax more. I know, difficult to do, easy to say - but, it does help. Buy a MP3 player, record all your fav music and plug them headphones in your ears - you will soon be in another world!!!! Really helped me sometimes! Worth a try innit

Just a thought

Look after yourself.

Gill
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: This immigration lark really is stressful - hospital for me last night!

Originally Posted by floss
It sounds like you have been having a rollercoaster of a ride - I used to and occasionally still do get panic attacks, although so far I have been lucky and they have been mild.... but then again, we haven't even got the house on the market yet, so I'd better touch wood!!!

As daft as it sounds I did find the paper bag trick helps at the beginning of an attack.... you re-breath your own air and this brings the oxygen levels (which have skyrocketed because highly stressed people breath too deeply and too often) back within normal limits... I was told it is the high levels of oxygen which can cause the faintness, palpitations, sweatiness and shaking.... Also helps to not feel that you have to be helpless if you feel one coming on.

Good idea to reduce the intake of tea/coffee... when I am stressed I drink tea by the gallon and wonder why I end up feeling shaky!!!!

Let your hubby take over some of the worrying, but be sure to turn over and go back to sleep when HE wakes up with palpitations!!!!

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you go.....

Hi , panic attacks are more common than folk realise , especailly at times like this. As an A&E nurse , this is what we do for people with panic attacks , It can take a long time to settle down ,I have been known to have to stand with my patients for up to 1/2 and hour ,until they more relaxed to be left with a friend.
As someone who recently did the move themselves , I used " Bachs, rescue remedy".It's a herbal thing but not as addictive as some. You can buy it as a spray but I found the drops better.You put them on your tongue or into a glass of water.I think it's maybe just taking the 5 mins doing nothing that helps But I used 2 bottles in the lead up and the good thing is you can buy it in Australia too. 9 months later , I still carry it in my bag , but don't need to use it everyday.It has really helped me and loads of other people I know. It helps get rid of that "OMG , I could puke or cry , or both" type of feeling that you get .
Don't let anyone belittle what's going on for you just now. It's very real and anyone who says it's all in your mind has never had the pressure you're under now or ever had a panic attack.
You'll get thru' .Just think of being on that plane.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tass
Hi , panic attacks are more common than folk realise , especailly at times like this. As an A&E nurse , this is what we do for people with panic attacks , It can take a long time to settle down ,I have been known to have to stand with my patients for up to 1/2 and hour ,until they more relaxed to be left with a friend.
As someone who recently did the move themselves , I used " Bachs, rescue remedy".It's a herbal thing but not as addictive as some. You can buy it as a spray but I found the drops better.You put them on your tongue or into a glass of water.I think it's maybe just taking the 5 mins doing nothing that helps But I used 2 bottles in the lead up and the good thing is you can buy it in Australia too. 9 months later , I still carry it in my bag , but don't need to use it everyday.It has really helped me and loads of other people I know. It helps get rid of that "OMG , I could puke or cry , or both" type of feeling that you get .
Don't let anyone belittle what's going on for you just now. It's very real and anyone who says it's all in your mind has never had the pressure you're under now or ever had a panic attack.
You'll get thru' .Just think of being on that plane.
All the best,
Tass.
Stuff all that, get on the Propranolol Hydrochloride great stuff :scared: My doctor prescribed this to me after my panic attack. I didnt take it for long as it has side effects and you dont want to use it as a crutch.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by John Howard
Stuff all that, get on the Propranolol Hydrochloride great stuff :scared: My doctor prescribed this to me after my panic attack. I didnt take it for long as it has side effects and you dont want to use it as a crutch.

mmmm, yes ,of course it works BUT as you already mentioned yourself , this isn't the best "coping " prescription.
I'm not one to cause fights on here ,so I'll stop here now.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:51 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jacknat]
Originally Posted by tygwyn

hey, hope your ok

try a few red stripes, they work for me

seriously tho take care x

steve
Cheers Steve. I'm doing ok thanks. Got the docs this morning and I'm stocked up on Kalms!!!! No wine for me for a while though I reckon
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my God!
I hope you are alright, right you have done it for me,
no more stress hugs Lace x
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:07 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=tygwyn]
Originally Posted by jacknat

Cheers Steve. I'm doing ok thanks. Got the docs this morning and I'm stocked up on Kalms!!!! No wine for me for a while though I reckon
Hi Tygwyn,

Sorry to hear that you've been feeling so poorly. Your earlier posts on this thread did actually *sound* panicky, iykwim. One of the biggest problems with panic attacks can be that people forget to breathe. Not just *how* to breathe - but to actually forget to do so. If you feel a panic attack coming on and it seems like you're suffocating, it's a good idea to take yourself off into a quiet room, sit down and focus on nothing but breathing in and out slowly. Getting control of your breathing helps you feel in control of your body as a whole. It's also common to hyperventilate, where you breathe too shallowly, and too rapidly. If you feel stressed and start breathing too quickly, get a paper bag and breathe slowly into it then re-breathe the air you've just released - this will elevate your body's carbon dioxide levels and will have a calming effect.

I'd second the Bach remedies. The Rescue Remedy is an excellent standby and I've known many people use it with great success. Another remedy that comes to mind in this situation is Walnut, which is an excellent remedy for adapting to change in your life. I think emigration qualifies for this!!! There is a whole range of Bach remedies available for disturbances of an emotional level - check out the website - www.bachcentre.com. Bach remedies are classed as energy medicines and are definitely not addictive in any way. They are diluted from the original substances many times and preserved in their mother tincture with cherry brandy!

It would be wise to avoid alcohol at the moment while you are feeling so stressed. One of the reasons that your heart goes into overdrive when you feel panicked is the rush of adrenaline that comes from your adrenal glands. These glands also get put under great strain by any drugs and/or stimulants so anything like coffee, tea or colas (that have caffeine in them), or cigarettes or alcohol will stimulate them further and possibly cause more adrenaline rushes. So the cycle perpetuates.

Panic attacks are foul - I empathise entirely. But having established that there is nothing wrong physiologically, the best thing you can do if you get another is to focus on the fact that it is stress causing it and nothing else. It will pass in due course, but getting plenty of sleep and rest, switching off from emigration from time to time, and taking care of yourself will help it pass more quickly. Get some lavender oil and chuck some in the bath too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sue
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:23 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bella Donna]

Hi Tygwyn,

Sorry to hear that you've been feeling so poorly. Your earlier posts on this thread did actually *sound* panicky, iykwim. One of the biggest problems with panic attacks can be that people forget to breathe. Not just *how* to breathe - but to actually forget to do so. If you feel a panic attack coming on and it seems like you're suffocating, it's a good idea to take yourself off into a quiet room, sit down and focus on nothing but breathing in and out slowly. Getting control of your breathing helps you feel in control of your body as a whole. It's also common to hyperventilate, where you breathe too shallowly, and too rapidly. If you feel stressed and start breathing too quickly, get a paper bag and breathe slowly into it then re-breathe the air you've just released - this will elevate your body's carbon dioxide levels and will have a calming effect.

I'd second the Bach remedies. The Rescue Remedy is an excellent standby and I've known many people use it with great success. Another remedy that comes to mind in this situation is Walnut, which is an excellent remedy for adapting to change in your life. I think emigration qualifies for this!!! There is a whole range of Bach remedies available for disturbances of an emotional level - check out the website - www.bachcentre.com. Bach remedies are classed as energy medicines and are definitely not addictive in any way. They are diluted from the original substances many times and preserved in their mother tincture with cherry brandy!

It would be wise to avoid alcohol at the moment while you are feeling so stressed. One of the reasons that your heart goes into overdrive when you feel panicked is the rush of adrenaline that comes from your adrenal glands. These glands also get put under great strain by any drugs and/or stimulants so anything like coffee, tea or colas (that have caffeine in them), or cigarettes or alcohol will stimulate them further and possibly cause more adrenaline rushes. So the cycle perpetuates.

Panic attacks are foul - I empathise entirely. But having established that there is nothing wrong physiologically, the best thing you can do if you get another is to focus on the fact that it is stress causing it and nothing else. It will pass in due course, but getting plenty of sleep and rest, switching off from emigration from time to time, and taking care of yourself will help it pass more quickly. Get some lavender oil and chuck some in the bath too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sue

Ah what a lovely post! Thanks ever so much for taking the time to post it. I'm taking all advice onboard and so I'm out to get some lavender oil today! Kalms seemed to work quite well in the night but then I kept waking up thinking 'go to sleep now - stop thinking about things' (which obviously makes it worse! - and then I was constantly thinking about what I was going to say to the doctor this morning! I NEED TO RELAX!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:16 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Well as the title suggests I ended up in hosptial last night. I had some sort of attack whereby my heart was racing for about 30 mins and I felt as though I was going to pass out constantly. :scared: I was in the house with my 5 year old daughter and was terrified that I would faint while she was there on her own. Thankfully I managed to get hubby back from work and my mum phoned an ambulance for me. When my heart wasn't racing I was shaking like a leaf. It was all very frightening and the first thing the ambulance man asked me was 'are you under any stress at the moment?'!!! I explained that we were leaving for Australia in 2 months and he reckons that was probably the cause! A massive rush of adrenalin causes it apparently? I had to go with them in the Ambulance. A few tests were run in hosptial and then I was back home 2 hours later. All very embarrassing but the upshot is that I'm going to see the doctor today and try and get signed off work for my remaining month. I used to thrive on stress - I'm turning into a right baby!!

So everyone - calm down ok!!
Migration is as stressful as you allow it to be. Take a step back and think about all the positives, lets face it you are basically moving house, thats all. You arent seeing anyone for the last time, because they are all probably able to visit, and those who cant will be visited by you when you return for holidays.

c-h-i-l-l- o-u-t
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

patmoss is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: This immigration lark really is stressful - hospital for me last night!

Hi Tygwyn.
I had a similar experience last december shortly before our visa was granted. Me and my wife have been in sydney since June and the emigration process took a severe toll on us both!!
I started suffering from severe IBS shortly after applying and was hospitalised overnight with palpatations in december. I had lots on my plate alongside the emigration though. One thing i can tell you is that even though we're both still on the mend we do wake up to the sunshine every morning and know it was all worth it. Life is good out here and people are generally very friendly. It would be a nightmare to have to return to the grey days we used to know!!!!
Don't be disheartened as you will reap the rewards as we have, good luck!!!

Mr & Mrs Patmoss
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:39 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Migration is as stressful as you allow it to be. Take a step back and think about all the positives, lets face it you are basically moving house, thats all. You arent seeing anyone for the last time, because they are all probably able to visit, and those who cant will be visited by you when you return for holidays.

c-h-i-l-l- o-u-t
Thats how I used to look at it, till it happened to me.

Absolutley horrible, a bit more to it than moving house I personally think.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 2:41 pm

Thanks very much everyone for taking the time to post - very much appreciated!

I went to see the doc yesterday who was really nice (gave me two weeks off work!). She asked me how I felt about medication and as I hadn't really thought much about it I just said I was happy with anything that would stop it happening again! Well she happily prescribed me Citalopram. I was dubious whether or not to take it but after speaking to a few people I decided I'd give it a go. I took one yesterday and I was completely spaced out! Not only was I not stressed out but I didn't have any emotion at all! :scared: I decided to have a read up on them online and after reading about some people trying desperately to get off them I've decided against them. I had already stocked up on Kalms and I have just been and bought some vitamin B6 and Bach spray!

Thanks everyone for you advice - you've all been great!
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:21 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much everyone for taking the time to post - very much appreciated!

I went to see the doc yesterday who was really nice (gave me two weeks off work!). She asked me how I felt about medication and as I hadn't really thought much about it I just said I was happy with anything that would stop it happening again! Well she happily prescribed me Citalopram. I was dubious whether or not to take it but after speaking to a few people I decided I'd give it a go. I took one yesterday and I was completely spaced out! Not only was I not stressed out but I didn't have any emotion at all! :scared: I decided to have a read up on them online and after reading about some people trying desperately to get off them I've decided against them. I had already stocked up on Kalms and I have just been and bought some vitamin B6 and Bach spray!

Thanks everyone for you advice - you've all been great!
Hi Tygwyn,

Glad to hear you've got some time off work - I'm sure it will do you good. Please be careful with the meds - I don't have my drug reference books to hand but suspect that this drug is from the benzodiazepine family. Whatever doctors tell you to the contrary, they are *very* addictive. I had a *nervous breakdown* in my late teens - I was put on diazepam by my GP and six months later, I was completely dependent on them. Each time I tried withdrawing them, I became ill again. All I got out of them was six months of feeling like a zombie who wasn't really alive. I finally got off them when we were visiting Oz in May - 33 years after first being prescribed them.

You have to do what you feel is best, but there are wonderful, effective and safe alternatives out there to chemical drugs - please think carefully before you take the step of putting them in your body. I have known people become addicted to these drugs after three weeks of use.

Take care - hope you feel better soon. If I can help, please feel free to PM me any time.

Sue
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tygwyn]Well as the title suggests I ended up in hosptial last night. I had some sort of attack whereby my heart was racing for about 30 mins and I felt as though I was going to pass out constantly. :scared: I was in the house with my 5 year old daughter and was terrified that I would faint while she was there on her own. Thankfully I managed to get hubby back from work and my mum phoned an ambulance for me. When my heart wasn't racing I was shaking like a leaf. It was all very frightening and the first thing the ambulance man asked me was 'are you under any stress at the moment?'!!! I explained that we were leaving for Australia in 2 months and he reckons that was probably the cause! A massive rush of adrenalin causes it apparently? I had to go with them in the Ambulance. A few tests were run in hosptial and then I was back home 2 hours later. All very embarrassing but the upshot is that I'm going to see the doctor today and try and get signed off work for my remaining month. I used to thrive on stress - I'm turning into a right baby!!
NO you are not turning into a baby, this is the most stressful time for you, you are moving to the unknown the other end of the world, a new life, and who knows how it will turn out. Sounds like you had a panic attack, i had a few when we where emigrating, i found i could hardly breath, and had to go outside in the middle of the night to get some air. Believe me you are not alone. I got something off the doctor just to get me through it, and im not a baby, i am 45, been through a stressful divorce [my first marriage] a violant relationship, and got through it all,but i did not cope very well emigrating.
You will be ok, you can get advice off doctor how to deal with panic attacks.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE , Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.