Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If You Were in Our Shoes What Would You Do?

If You Were in Our Shoes What Would You Do?

Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:25 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: If You Were in Our Shoes What Would You Do?

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I would look on it as fate, take it as a sign that you should do it now. Anything else may just delay your doing it, possibly forever, things always happen to throw a spanner in the works somewhere.

As for your parents, look on it as actually being kinder to them, they wont come to terms with it until you have gone, they will dread you leaving for the next 20 months, going sooner will be better for them too, just don;t expect them to tell you that for a couple of years.

Lynn
Yep, having been there and done that it was a lot kinder. I think it was the thought of going and not talking about it that was worse (not saying it is easier being away from family). Been here 2.5 years and my parents have just left today from their third visit (my mum would never get on a plane to go all that way to Australia). They actually understand why we are here and how many more oppurtunities there are for our family being here and living this life.

Keeping fingers crossed that they will eventually move out here with us ....the sooner the better I say.

Louise
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JKA

My mum and dad will take it very hard - I think they were starting to come to terms with the fact that we were going to be moving in around 20 months but to tell them that this has changed to 4 will devastate them. Not a reason to base our decision on but not easy non the less.

JKA
It will be hard for them but they will also surely understand the reasoning. It just makes no sense to buy in the UK or rent there. I don't know about you, but when me and hubby (boyfriend then) first decided to get a place together, we certainly didn't have £10,000 behind us.

Some have come out with stacks more, many with less. Provided you are ready, willing and able and more importantly keen, you will manage.

Good luck to you.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JKA
50% reduction in earnings is what we have estimated initially. After I have the equivalent Australian qualifications to those I have in the UK I expect our earnings to be pretty simialr to what we have just now.

I really feel for everyone who is waiting to sell their property before they can move. Best of luck to you all.

The opinion so far is very one sided and in our hearts we know it makes more sense to go now.

My mum and dad will take it very hard - I think they were starting to come to terms with the fact that we were going to be moving in around 20 months but to tell them that this has changed to 4 will devastate them. Not a reason to base our decision on but not easy non the less.

Thanks for all the opinions - it is good to get some neutral perspective . Please keep them coming.

JKA

Try and get your folks to focus on coming out for a holiday as soon as possible. That takes the sting out of the move. Although it will feel really hard to break the news, once you've done it you and they will just move on.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:55 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: If You Were in Our Shoes What Would You Do?

Originally Posted by JKA
Looking for some opinions please folks.

Nikki and I were granted our PR visas last October and are flying out to validate them next week.

We were not planning on moving until January 2008 to allow us time to save some money. We are currently lucky enough to live in a rent free property but we have just received notice from the owners that they have sold the property and need us out by 31 July.

Our dilema is - do we bring the move forward to August this year and go with the money we have which should be in the region of only £10k or do we buy a property here, keep it for a year and half and then try and sell it or finally do we rent for a while.

Personally I don't see rentng as an option as it's money down the drain but I can't see any rise in property prices here covering the legal and interest costs of purchasing here either. Moving so much sooner than planned is possible I suppose but with so little capital I think it will be a struggle.

So what do you think, should we stay and how or should we go early.

Cheers

JKA
anything could happen by 2008! I'd get out here now if I were you!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:05 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JKA
Looking for some opinions please folks.

Nikki and I were granted our PR visas last October and are flying out to validate them next week.

We were not planning on moving until January 2008 to allow us time to save some money. We are currently lucky enough to live in a rent free property but we have just received notice from the owners that they have sold the property and need us out by 31 July.

Our dilema is - do we bring the move forward to August this year and go with the money we have which should be in the region of only £10k or do we buy a property here, keep it for a year and half and then try and sell it or finally do we rent for a while.

Personally I don't see rentng as an option as it's money down the drain but I can't see any rise in property prices here covering the legal and interest costs of purchasing here either. Moving so much sooner than planned is possible I suppose but with so little capital I think it will be a struggle.

So what do you think, should we stay and how or should we go early.

Cheers

JKA
I agree with everyone on here that buying a house in the UK is a waste of time and money, unless you looking to stay here a good few years, but then who knows what'll happen in the future?

As for the parent thing... I take it your making this move for the 2 of you, because you want a better life and future for yourselves and any family of your own you may have? Your parents will deal with it and no matter what they say, they WILL come out to see you.

My wife and I are going next year, my parents are all for it as they know that staying in the UK compared to a life in Oz is a no-brainer. My wife's mom made a big fuss of things, but it's our life, not hers, and now she's all for coming to see us when we move.

If you're going to stay for other people, then maybe you better have a whole re-think on your plans. Your parents will be upset temporarily, but whats the difference if you go in August or in the future, they'll still be upset.

What ever you decide, I wish you all the best in the future.

Regards,

Dave
Old Apr 9th 2006, 4:14 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Take the bull by the horns and go when your lease runs out. You have 10k to get you started and though it won't last for ever many people start out with alot less even in their home country.

Why put of what you dreamed for and worked hard for especially when you it is more or less the perfect opertunity to make the move!

good luck!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Stuck is on a distinguished road

I would certainly not bank on prices in the UK rising until 2008. The boom is over and we are heading into stagnation time AT BEST. You would be better off buying in Oz, where prices are already falling and paying for the house you are actually going to live in. Prices could go up, but in the current economic climate I would just say that it is not a certainty. Also, if you will be looking to sell quite quickly in 18mths so you can go, you might have to end up lowering the price anyway.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Stuck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dave7370
I agree with everyone on here that buying a house in the UK is a waste of time and money, unless you looking to stay here a good few years, but then who knows what'll happen in the future?

As for the parent thing... I take it your making this move for the 2 of you, because you want a better life and future for yourselves and any family of your own you may have? Your parents will deal with it and no matter what they say, they WILL come out to see you.

My wife and I are going next year, my parents are all for it as they know that staying in the UK compared to a life in Oz is a no-brainer. My wife's mom made a big fuss of things, but it's our life, not hers, and now she's all for coming to see us when we move.

If you're going to stay for other people, then maybe you better have a whole re-think on your plans. Your parents will be upset temporarily, but whats the difference if you go in August or in the future, they'll still be upset.

What ever you decide, I wish you all the best in the future.

Regards,

Dave
A lady at work has just gone out to visit her son in Oz. They also have a granddaughter (about 2 years old) in Oz now too. They do visits and are very happy that way. She tells me there is no way in the world her son would ever come back to the Uk. They are in Adelaide.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:28 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, the way it looks to me is that you will be starting afresh this summer when your lease expires - either here or in Oz. Money feels tight, but how much will your validation trip cost? Turn it into your actual move and it seems that you might be better off! Take all the advice about not buying here right now - you may well regret it.

If we go to Adelaide, we will need to pay the Aus Govt bond which will mean we will go with about the same amount of money you have (possibly a little more depending on our house sale) and there's 4 of us! We will just MAKE IT WORK. We'll have to.

You either start again here with your £10 or take it to Oz PLUS the money you would have spent on your validation. OR here's another idea - give the money you would have spent on your validation trip to your parents so they can come visit you really quickly once you're there.

Either way, I hope you make the right decision for you.

hugs

Gill
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

MartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to all

Think: "What's the worst that could happen?".

Alternatively, try writing a list with 2 columns 'why we should go in Aug' and 'why we should wait til Jan'. You'll soon find yourself making any excuse to fill one column more than the other and you'll have your answer.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. It's a big decision, but only you know what feels right.

Sending some K to help you.

Lane x
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Tumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really nice

move straight away
Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:39 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I think that its obvious that its not a good idea to buy a house then sell it due to the costs etc.

What about staying but renting a double room in a house share. Rent is very cheap, and you only have to be there until you get fed up. You should save money still as its not that expensive sharing, but if you are not then you can just leave.

It London we have lots of that going on.