Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Affordable in Mornington

Affordable in Mornington

Old Apr 8th 2006, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future
Default Affordable in Mornington

Hi.

Family with 2 young kids. We are looking to move to Victoria state.

Can't afford to spend too much on house.

Does anyone know where we can find a nice area for kids. It needs to be near the beach and have good schools.

Steve & Sha.

Last edited by r1c1; Apr 8th 2006 at 7:57 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 7:52 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Affordable in Mornington

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi.

Does anyone know where we can find a nice area for kids. It needs to bear near the beach and have good schools.

Steve & Sha.
Well, your thread title was "affordable in Mornington" not "affordable in Victoria" so it sounds like you have done some research already.

In the Mornington area Frankston would probably be a more affordable area, though Victorians don't seem to rate it as a good area. But it does fulfil your other criteria quite well so I understand.

Have a look at www.visitfrankston.com for area info and www.realestate.com.au for house prices.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Affordable in Mornington

If you are looking for something more affordable on the Mornington Peninsula then the Westernport side (Eastern side of the peninsula) tends to be less expensive (unless you go down as far as Point Leo and Flinders). Unfortunately there are fewer beaches on the Westernport side, but you should still be within 10 to 20 mins drive of a large number of decent beaches.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

yes but you have to remember like anywhere a house price is at that price for a reason ie jobs travelling rough area
Old Apr 10th 2006, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi.

Does anyone know where we can find a nice area for kids. It needs to be near the beach and have good schools.

Steve & Sha.
Most properties in Mornington are within 5 minutes drive of the beach . Not sure what your idea of affordable is but particularly in the newer estates there are plenty of family houses in the $300000-400000 bracket . I can only speak of the catholic schools in the area which are excellent , but i've not heard anything bad about the state schools . Defintely a good area to bring kids up in . Biggest downside is the commuting time/distance to Melbourne as not loads of work available locally .
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave_woodsy
Most properties in Mornington are within 5 minutes drive of the beach . Not sure what your idea of affordable is but particularly in the newer estates there are plenty of family houses in the $300000-400000 bracket . I can only speak of the catholic schools in the area which are excellent , but i've not heard anything bad about the state schools . Defintely a good area to bring kids up in . Biggest downside is the commuting time/distance to Melbourne as not loads of work available locally .
Hello

We are building and expect to be moving to mornington later in the year (Sept) my husband is working in the city so will have to commute are you doing this now? if so how long does it take?

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Commuting to the CBD by car and you will count yourself lucky to do this in 1hr 20 mins each way. It is more economical in money terms to get the train from Frankston, having taken petrol and parking into account. Assume 15 mins to the station and a 1 hour train commute if getting an express train. Free parking at station if you ge there early enough (before 7am). Metlink (train pass) costs $186 per month.

Neil
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Commuting to the CBD by car and you will count yourself lucky to do this in 1hr 20 mins each way. It is more economical in money terms to get the train from Frankston, having taken petrol and parking into account. Assume 15 mins to the station and a 1 hour train commute if getting an express train. Free parking at station if you ge there early enough (before 7am). Metlink (train pass) costs $186 per month.

Neil
Thank Neil my husband get the train from Carrum and has been doing that for 18 months and finds it pretty good takes about one hour so we were expectng to add maybe another 30 mins to the journey. We were wondering if Frankston would be the best place to catch the train or if it would be better to go to Seaford (less busy)? It would be before 7am I would think 6.30am so free parking sounds good.

Thanks Neil
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Personally, I think Frankston is better. As you've already gathered there is no problem getting a space at 6:30. I've heard rumours that there's more car crime in Seaford station than Frankston. Frankston is end of the line too, so no worries if you fall asleep going home. Seaford is still in Zone 3, so personally, I can see no advantage of driving that little bit further.

Neil
Old Apr 11th 2006, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by playbunny75
Hello

We are building and expect to be moving to mornington later in the year (Sept) my husband is working in the city so will have to commute are you doing this now? if so how long does it take?

Thanks
I park at Kananook station , the one between Frankston and Seaford. I normally get there towards 7.30am and theres usually plenty of spaces. Same fare as from Frankston ($52 for a week pass , $188 for a month). You'll also have no problem getting a seat at that time . Much nearer to the city and you might be standing most of the way.

Dave
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

Hello

We are in Anglesea, Victoria. with the most perfect beaches at your doorstep. Our kids are 6 and 3 and I am very happy with the school and kinder here. There is a playgroup as well and all kinds of activities for adults and kids. Richard surfs 3-4 times a week, I do Tai chi, there is tennis, a golf course, bowling club, swimming lessons, kayaking etc. The kids do Karate in geelong and ballet in Torquay and are members of Nippers - the life saving club here. They have become really good at boogey boarding and body surfing (myself included!) There are cafes, a small supermarket and loads more. We are always involved in something. Richard is a member of the CFA (Volunteer fire fighter) which meet up every tuesday night. My kids watched Santa Claus surf in on the waves xmas day, to give them some sweets.

As you know Richard is an electrician and found work as a labourer almost instantly. He gets $22 an hour but once he gets his licence this will go up to $35 an hour and then the sky is your limit when he starts going self employed again. There is tons of electrical work around here. It's about 30 mins to Geelong and 10 mins to Torquay. There are shops and doctors...everything you need. We love it.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

I'm gonna start a "Come to Anglesea" campaign. Can't understand how everybody missed it! Mind you it's not good here if you have to work in Melbourne...unless you like commuting.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by richard-elly
I'm gonna start a "Come to Anglesea" campaign. Can't understand how everybody missed it! Mind you it's not good here if you have to work in Melbourne...unless you like commuting.
Hi.

I'm a spark too. Might consider Anglesea if plenty of work when we get to Oz.

Do you know how long it takes to get to Philip Island from there by road and by ferry?

Steve & Sha.