Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If You Were in Our Shoes What Would You Do?

If You Were in Our Shoes What Would You Do?

Old Apr 8th 2006, 4:16 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If You Were in Our Shoes What Would You Do?

Originally Posted by WendyC
....they can buy my house if they like

After they buy mine.

Go when your lease expires, you won't make anything on a aUk property at the moment but Oz prices seem to be going up.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

hi, don't forget that it will cost you around 10k to buy and sell a property here what with stamp duty, legal and agent fees. you may then have the problem of it taking a while to sell or not being worth much more than you paid for it when the time comes sell. also if you have been living rent free and have well paid jobs what makes you think you will be able to save when you have a mortgage to pay as well???? i would take the 10k and go now. if you can't make the permenent move for the flight you have booked re: book them for when you can. even if you loose the money on the flights that will be less than it is going to cost you for your coming trip in total. that money can go back in the post for when you make the move. hey presto you've saved a few grand already. i know my opinion has made it sound easy to do and i don't really know your situation but think about it cause it makes sense. also one point to consider is that i'm ALWAYS right cause my husband say so!! good luck in whatever you decide to do. selina xxx
Old Apr 8th 2006, 4:44 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by selina
also one point to consider is that i'm ALWAYS right cause my husband say so!!

PMSL ......so am I funnily enough
Old Apr 8th 2006, 7:53 pm
Jif
Forum Regular

Jif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant futureJif has a brilliant future

no time like the present. Staying seems to be putting life on hold a bit really. Costs don't make short terms buying in the UK an option and we were faced with a v similar choice and decided to go, so that's what we'd do cos we're doing it!
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JKA
Looking for some opinions please folks.

Nikki and I were granted our PR visas last October and are flying out to validate them next week.

We were not planning on moving until January 2008 to allow us time to save some money. We are currently lucky enough to live in a rent free property but we have just received notice from the owners that they have sold the property and need us out by 31 July.

Our dilema is - do we bring the move forward to August this year and go with the money we have which should be in the region of only £10k or do we buy a property here, keep it for a year and half and then try and sell it or finally do we rent for a while.

Personally I don't see rentng as an option as it's money down the drain but I can't see any rise in property prices here covering the legal and interest costs of purchasing here either. Moving so much sooner than planned is possible I suppose but with so little capital I think it will be a struggle.

So what do you think, should we stay and how or should we go early.

Cheers

JKA

All I can say is "Get yourselves off".

Sunshine23
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

IMO buying and selling would be a risk, it may not sell in time etc.
how about house sitting? you only pay a small fee initially and no rent at all! there are websites showing houses available and some people go away for months at a time......
good luck!
karen
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:52 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Do you not believe that things happen for a reason? It may not always seem like it at the time but look back and you may find fate helps out in funny ways.

It happened to us...
My husband got made redundant in the UK. His heart wasn't in looking for a new job as he knew he would be biding his time until we emigrated (to Sydney to be near his Nan). two weeks later his Nan in Sydney died, the day after we got our letter saying we had been accepted in Oz with our PR visa's(Nan dying took some of the excitement out of it though). We moved within 6 weeks, stayed with family in Sydney for a week and although we knew Syney well and had visited a few times over a 6 year period we decided to just check out Melbourne before we put the kids in school etc....We fell in love with Melbourne and stayed here! Haven't looked back been here 2 1/2 years.

Not having a house to sell, you will never be in such a good position again!

Good Luck, go for it, what have you got to lose? Think of the money you will save in not having an extra flight to validate visa's and 'holiday expenses' that you could be using to start your new life!

Louise
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would move as soon as your leases runs out. We are in the process of trying to sell a house and the market is so bad at the moment that I think to sell quickly we will have to drop the price, so if you did this you could actually end up losing money. As for accounting jobs if you look on seek there are loads of jobs in that sector, so there is a chance you could secure one before you leave anyway.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:04 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

If you buy a property in the UK you would have to pay stamp duty (I am assuming you would be over the stamp duty threshold) and other associated costs with buying a property. There is no guarantee that the market value will increase in only 18 months and then you have the costs associated with selling it.

You have to come and validate so just jump and go for it.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:03 am
P,Johnson

tryinghard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JKA

Nikki and I were granted our PR visas last October and are flying out to validate them next week.

We were not planning on moving until January 2008 to allow us time to save some money. We are currently lucky enough to live in a rent free property but we have just received notice from the owners that they have sold the property and need us out by 31 July.

Our dilema is - do we bring the move forward to August this year and go with the money we have which should be in the region of only £10k or do we buy a property here, keep it for a year and half and then try and sell it or finally do we rent for a while.

Personally I don't see rentng as an option as it's money down the drain but I can't see any rise in property prices here covering the legal and interest costs of purchasing here either. Moving so much sooner than planned is possible I suppose but with so little capital I think it will be a struggle.

Cheers

JKA

I am in a similar position to yourselfs, we will have about £30k to £40k to take with us and where worried this would not be enough to get setup.

But after speaking to many people I have come to learn this will be more than enough. as would £5k, at the end of the day setting up costs are very similar to the UK from what I can see. So either way you have to setup either here or there, I would rather setup over there and be done with it.

I was checking today and found that I would need about $36k deposit, fees etc etc to buy a house that cost around $300k I wasnt happy but nothing I can do about it. If I didn't have it I would rent in perth until I did have the deposit.

All the best.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JKA
Hiya
Probably will be earning a lot less to be honest - expecting to take a cut of almost half.

JKA
I'd ask yourself - should you be going at all.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:53 am
JKA
Forum Regular

JKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Quokka
I'd ask yourself - should you be going at all.
50% reduction in earnings is what we have estimated initially. After I have the equivalent Australian qualifications to those I have in the UK I expect our earnings to be pretty simialr to what we have just now.

I really feel for everyone who is waiting to sell their property before they can move. Best of luck to you all.

The opinion so far is very one sided and in our hearts we know it makes more sense to go now.

My mum and dad will take it very hard - I think they were starting to come to terms with the fact that we were going to be moving in around 20 months but to tell them that this has changed to 4 will devastate them. Not a reason to base our decision on but not easy non the less.

Thanks for all the opinions - it is good to get some neutral perspective . Please keep them coming.

JKA

Last edited by JKA; Apr 9th 2006 at 1:12 am.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:03 am
P,Johnson

tryinghard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JKA
50% reduction in earnings what we have estimated initially. After I have the equivalent Australian qualifications to those I have in the UK I expect our earnings to be pretty simialr to what we have just now.

I really feel for everyone who is waiting to sell their property before they can move. Best of luck to you all.

The opinion so far is very one sided and in our hearts we know it makes more sense to go now.

My mum and dad will take it very hard - I think they were starting to come to terms with the fact that we were going to be moving in around 20 months but to tell them that this has changed to 4 will devastate them. Not a reason to base our decision on but not easy non the less.

Thanks for all the opinions - it is good to get some neutral perspective . Please keep them coming.

JKA
Glad you have decided to go, my parents have took it pretty hard too, they get very upset when I talk about it. But my girlfriends parents have been great, they will miss her but dont show any sadness. Which is good for us as we feel bad enough as it is.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JKA

Cheers

JKA
hi
what a choice if i was you i would come out and start here, what you choices are probably the two most stressful thing that you will ever do in your life and to do both will not be healthy, stick to one . where are yopu planning on moving to when you come out to oz

toni
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:05 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I would look on it as fate, take it as a sign that you should do it now. Anything else may just delay your doing it, possibly forever, things always happen to throw a spanner in the works somewhere.

As for your parents, look on it as actually being kinder to them, they wont come to terms with it until you have gone, they will dread you leaving for the next 20 months, going sooner will be better for them too, just don;t expect them to tell you that for a couple of years.

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.