Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If You Don't Like It Go Home

If You Don't Like It Go Home

Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If You Don't Like It Go Home

Originally Posted by MDawson
Anyone who hasn't heard this must have been hiding under a rock somewhere in Oz ?
I don't live under a rock at all and have never heard anyone say this to me or anyone else. I have been asked with genuine interest if I would consider moving back, but have never been told "love it or leave".
Originally Posted by Pollyana
You know, I find it really strange when I read these comments abbout the Mods only allowing pro-Australia remarks - they obviously never take the time to read my posts, because to say I'm n favour of all things Australian is soooooo laughable its untrue
I know. Whenever I see these kind of posts I always think of you. And I have to say, even when I was modding I was accused of being one of those lovers of all things Australia. I think I've made it clear many times that while I can't see myself leaving here any time soon my eyes are wide open to the country's faults.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That is not to say that there are not people that would say it, but in most company it would be completely unacceptable to use the word "Paki" and to suggest that immigrants should "go home". UK is very politically correct, in fact I would not be at all surprised if somebody was reported to the authorities if they said something like that. Freedom of speech does not extend to expressing racist views.
....and its an attitude that has improved life in the UK no end.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
....and its an attitude that has improved life in the UK no end.
I think making it socially unacceptable to say or display car-stickers with things like "pakis go home" is an improvement. The UK has certainly gone overboard with the PC-ness though I agree. I am not defending all PC behaviours, I was just making the point that no way is it normal to express views like this in public in the UK, although of course there are a minority that do.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think making it socially unacceptable to say or display car-stickers with things like "pakis go home" is an improvement. The UK has certainly gone overboard with the PC-ness though I agree. I am not defending all PC behaviours, I was just making the point that no way is it normal to express views like this in public in the UK, although of course there are a minority that do.
Agreed. I wasn't having a go at you in anyway, just the madness that overtook the UK and put everybody on eggshells.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea whether this is a common thing to say in Australia as I am not there. But absolutely No Way is this a normal thing to say in the UK.

That is not to say that there are not people that would say it, but in most company it would be completely unacceptable to use the word "Paki" and to suggest that immigrants should "go home". UK is very politically correct, in fact I would not be at all surprised if somebody was reported to the authorities if they said something like that. Freedom of speech does not extend to expressing racist views.

There was a bloke who killed himself last week because he joked to a black colleague (who he was good friends with) that he should hide because there were immigration officers in the building. He was reported, suspended and he killed himself.
I do know this, I was trying to make as polarised a post as possible to show that both countries have racism. I think this Dawson is a wind up merchant. He has already started another thread along the same lines of how crap Australia is.

I grew up in the West Midland with a large West Indian and Indian population. I remember what ordinary people said about these people and it was quite acceptable in those days to say such things. Replace the word 'paki' with 'Pole' and you have the modern equivalent. Just because there are laws in place does not mean that people do not say racist things. I have only been in Australia a year so do have recent knowledge of how things are. I have read racist posts on this forum and endless moans about all the immigrants in the UK. The British can be just as racist as the Australians.

Personally any form of racism is abhorrent to me. My own grandparents fled the extermination camps in Nazi Germany. I just think the OP is using this issue to wind us all up. Don't let him. We all know there is racism in every country and every culture. It doesn't mean we approve or take part in it.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with the OP (whether he is a wind up merchant or not) that the use of bumper stickers such as those seen here in Australia is both pathetic and childish.

However, it only seems to be the bogan element that find it acceptable.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

I have seen stickers on the back of cars quite a number of times in or around Adelaide. The worst one I saw was on the rear window of a Holden which was quite large (about 30 cms x 20 cms), and showed the outline of Australia with the words "**** off we're full" below it!!

For a moment I felt like ramming into the back of him with my Merc Sprinter van, then common sense took over.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:18 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Is the word W@g banned from the streets in Australia , it should be !!
I think you get to the stage in Australia where it's like living in a bubble...out of touch.
you do realize a wog in Australia is an Italian BTW. I know plenty of Italians, and they dont give a rats arse that they are called that.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
you do realize a wog in Australia is an Italian BTW. I know plenty of Italians, and they dont give a rats arse that they are called that.
Indeed. There is a young guy who I've seen driving around, who's number plate is 'WOG BOY'.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew
It also means, Greeks and Cypriots in fact any European. I have many Greek friends who are still called wogs in Australia and find it VERY offensive.
What are they to do they were born in Australia and are in their 30's and 40's and were called this all through their school years.
It is only offensive if the individual being called it thinks it is offensive and they do.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonT715a/R1GA Browser/NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 JavaPlatform/JP-8.4.4)

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Its not helped by the media here constantly whipping up scare stories about immigration either.
Again, as happens in the UK.

Australia is no different to the UK in this regard.
Again - it does happen in the uk but not to the same extent as it does here. There is quite a difference
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

It's only ever been said to me once & my reply was..............
Lizzie has sent me here on a mission to make sure you bleedin' crims haven't found a way back home

Give as good as you get - in retaliation, if you go on about "how you used to do it" in Blighty you'll not get far
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard any of it myself . And I don't live under a rock .
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:18 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

This is so wrong, you are simply not allowed to say the word paki in any public place in the UK , you people have been away to long , your facts are way off the mark.
Being allowed to say Paki is not democratic , it's just rude isn't it.
Is the word W@g banned from the streets in Australia , it should be !!
I think you get to the stage in Australia where it's like living in a bubble...out of touch.

your "facts" are nothing but opinions. You've yet to post any facts.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

If it's the same bumper sticker that I have seen, it actually says Australia: Love it or leave it. What is so offensive about that? I don't agree with it because living in a country is rarely a black and white issue of I love it, I'll stay or I hate it and I am leaving but I certainly don't think it's racist or offensive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.