Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If You Don't Like It Go Home

If You Don't Like It Go Home

Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:54 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If You Don't Like It Go Home

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Got to admit I have witnessed that in the past.
I have to admit to seconding that ... and it is painful and transparently obvious to hear.

To return to the Scottish theme ... almost like Rod Stewart wearing tartan.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MDawson
Love Thy Neighbour has been banned from British TV for years now.
I know it's not been on for years. I was a child when I had a golly wog and my dad's been dead 20 years so I kind of know when the event took place. Thanks for pointing out how old I am though. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

No never allowed myself to be bullied ,

I just found that many English (not all) just seem to be over patronising to the Australians in an attempt to be accepted ,the English themselves (some) are over critical of the UK and the English around the BBQ for example so that the Aussies can hear just how much they dislike all things British (English)

You don't have to be rude either , just don't be in such a rush to become a flag waving Aussie it's a bit sickly to hear.
I've heard some English people criticise the UK because they were impressed with their new found luck and because they came from bad circumstances, but I've never heard of them doing it so as to be accepted, or to even impress Australians. I've heard people talking about what they didn't like - but they were asked why they moved and fresh off the boat it's a highly probably answer for many.

I've also seen people take an interest in Australia and Australians and in their new life but there is nothing wrong with that. Speaking personally, I liked the people I had something in common with - which was many Australians. I don't draw a line in the sand with regard to nationality. I don't always appreciate expats but that's more the expat thing, not the country.

Your're right, you don't need to be rude. I thought the backbone comment was a bit bizarre though.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought I had whilst taking out the bins....I get all my best ideas doing that..

I think a lot of Expats lack backbone perhaps. We're talking about a group of people who want an easy (easier) life in some cases. Who worry about the size of their houses and trivial matters such as supermarkets. If expats lack backbone they always did or want it that way. When I first came out here, I found a lot of Australians and people who had a degree of robustness and backbone, and I liked it, (and couldn't get fellow British expats at all) but the Australians I met were people with lives that required it.

Furthermore, I had come from a life in London and Europe where I had been allowed to take my foot off the gas and had been spoilt a bit so parts of Australia were all the more remarkable. 8 years on, it seems to me it's all about the way you want to live.

The upside too though is that a lot of expats have quite a hedonistic view to life and some move to take a shameless short cut to it!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Paula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the rough

I wonder when the word 'pomme' will become a racially derogative term?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Posts like this absolutely amaze the hell out of me.

You (as in any migrant) probably busted your arse to leave the UK for what you probably thought would be a better life in Australia. So you go through the visa process, pay the expense to get over here. Must be a reason why you left your home country.

Australia turns out not to be the utopia you thought it would be, so you complain and whinge and bitch. YOU chose to come here!!

Australians (as in any country) are proud of who they are and where they live... Australia is a beautiful country. So you (as in any unhappy migrant) complain and WHAT do you expect an Australian to say?

If You Don't Like It - Go Home!

HOW is that rude?

I'm a Canadian and if you went to Canada and whinged and complained, I'd tell you to go home too.

So THAT is NOT unique to JUST Australia
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paula31
I wonder when the word 'pomme' will become a racially derogative term?
Some folk already think it is
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paularn

You (as in any migrant) probably busted your arse to leave the UK for what you probably thought would be a better life in Australia. So you go through the visa process, pay the expense to get over here. Must be a reason why you left your home country.

Australia turns out not to be the utopia you thought it would be, so you complain and whinge and bitch. YOU chose to come here!!

Australians (as in any country) are proud of who they are and where they live... Australia is a beautiful country. So you (as in any unhappy migrant) complain and WHAT do you expect an Australian to say?

HOW is that rude?

I'm a Canadian and if you went to Canada and whinged and complained, I'd tell you to go home too.

Not every migrant moved because they thought they were heading for a better life - many of us moved for family reasons, and for exactly the same reason it isn't that easy to just "go home" - and where else can we whinge and bitch besides on a forum like this!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kporte
Hey! I agreed before Ozzie, is this a Scottish thing?
Sorry didn't mean to say "thing" in a trivial sense of the word , when I said history thing I just didn't want to ramble on about things from the past that don't affect us her and now

Cheers Mr kporte ....live long and prosper..not many racists on the enterprise.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

HOW is that rude?

I did go home so get off your high horse smarty pants and don't be so rude, you have no rights to tell me to go anywhere...are you related to god or something ...I think you should perhaps pull your head in you are a bad example of a Canadian.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not every migrant moved because they thought they were heading for a better life - many of us moved for family reasons, and for exactly the same reason it isn't that easy to just "go home" - and where else can we whinge and bitch besides on a forum like this!
Well said, hope I haven't over-reacted to the comments of this Canadian.
Don't know any rude names for them ?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:38 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

HOW is that rude?

Well said that man
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by loz
Well said that man
I'm glad I did go home now , whats so well said about that !
Nothing laid back about Springfield Lakes with it's man made lake , I got bored of walking / riding round and round that little lake and listening to the army practising firing live rounds in the bush...not much to do there at all , accept do nothing at all.

You confirmed for me that I have made the correct decision.

Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad I did go home now , whats so well said about that !
Nothing laid back about Springfield Lakes with it's man made lake , I got bored of walking / riding round and round that little lake and listening to the army practising firing live rounds in the bush...not much to do there at all , accept do nothing at all.

You confirmed for me that I have made the correct decision.

I have to pull you up there.... nothing beats firing a live round in the bush
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Any Garlic Bread left?

Some people need an awful lot of reassurance that they have made the right decision ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.