British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   If You Don't Like It Go Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/if-you-dont-like-go-home-663583/)

MDawson Apr 12th 2010 5:46 am

If You Don't Like It Go Home

I saw this statement many times on the back of a car in Australia often attached to the Australian flag.
Does the average person on the street have the right to tell people to go home , I never actually had some one say it directly to me but Australians do use this sentance very often , mostly over trivial matters ?

I can understand murderers and rapists etc being told to go home by your average joe in the street , but many Australians feel they have a right to be rude to migrants, they have no right , the only body to tell them to go home must surly be the government.

Is Australia too jingoistic ?:confused:

Amazulu Apr 12th 2010 5:56 am

Re: If You Don't Like It Go Home

Originally Posted by MDawson (Post 8489291)
Does the average person on the street have the right to tell people to go home

In a democracy everyone has the right to say what they like. If you don't like what someone says then either ignore it or confront them with it.

Many in the UK make the same comments about immigrants there.

Lord_Farquar Apr 12th 2010 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8489298)
In a democracy everyone has the right to say what they like. If you don't like what someone says then either ignore it or confront them with it.

I agree to a degree, but I draw the line when it is used as an excuse to express racism/prejudice.

mulben Apr 12th 2010 6:03 am

Is it any different to some stickers I have seen

FIGJAM
No Fat Chicks
etc
there just car decals after all

Amazulu Apr 12th 2010 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar (Post 8489302)
I agree to a degree, but I draw the line when it is used as an excuse to express racism/prejudice.

To me it's a grey area. Making general racist comments should be tolerated IMO. Making inflamatory racist comments (like 'kill all muslims/jews/whites' etc) should not.

moneypenny20 Apr 12th 2010 6:07 am

Only time I've come across it is on here from certain know all posters who say it to anyone who needs to have a moan. Never heard it from 'real' people.

I do hope you started this thread with the aim of having an interesting discussion and not because you want to cause an argument. That would be silly, obviously.

MDawson Apr 12th 2010 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8489298)

I'm sorry I don't agree with your statement , this phrase "if you don't like it go home" is used far more often in Australia thats a fact , I experienced Australia for 9 years. You mention the UK , yes the UK is a democracy , the longest running democracy in the world , however it's just decency that stops most UK citizens saying these words on a regular basis.

I have never seen a sticker on the back of a car here saying "If You Don't Like It Go Home" and that is a fact .

Displaying sickers like this is not freedom , this is bad manners and poor upbringing....ignorance !! Also feeling you can just refer to people as W@gs is just disgusting and you need a government that will attempt to change this attitude.:frown:

MDawson Apr 12th 2010 6:10 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8489312)
Only time I've come across it is on here from certain know all posters who say it to anyone who needs to have a moan. Never heard it from 'real' people.

I do hope you started this thread with the aim of having an interesting discussion and not because you want to cause an argument. That would be silly, obviously.

Whats wrong with a good debate , these things need to be addressed and not opressed by moderators who act in favour of all things Australian ?:)

Amazulu Apr 12th 2010 6:12 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8489312)
Never heard it from 'real' people.

Neither have I.

Lord_Farquar Apr 12th 2010 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8489321)
Neither have I.

I have heard it. Not to me but people have said it in front of me about different races.

MDawson Apr 12th 2010 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar (Post 8489324)
I have heard it. Not to me but people have said it in front of me about different races.

Anyone who hasn't heard this must have been hiding under a rock somewhere in Oz ?:p

Fly Away Apr 12th 2010 6:17 am

Funny, I would swear 'decent' British people are rather fond of saying saying things like 'Paki's go home'. There is racism and intolerance the World over sadly. There are also trolls everywhere too. :rofl:

mulben Apr 12th 2010 6:20 am

Originally Posted by MDawson (Post 8489314)
I'm sorry I don't agree with your statement , this phrase "if you don't like it go home" is used far more often in Australia thats a fact , I experienced Australia for 9 years. You mention the UK , yes the UK is a democracy , the longest running democracy in the world , however it's just decency that stops most UK citizens saying these words on a regular basis.

I have never seen a sticker on the back of a car here saying "If You Don't Like It Go Home" and that is a fact .

Displaying sickers like this is not freedom , this is bad manners and poor upbringing....ignorance !! Also feeling you can just refer to people as W@gs is just disgusting and you need a government that will attempt to change this attitude.:frown:

I think you have hit the nail on the head
The basic "manners " in UK are very different to the Australian "manners "
evidenced by the Victorian Govt. putting out an ad. calling people "dick heads"
very little discussion about it - just "oh well"maybe they could have done it differently.....

Amazulu Apr 12th 2010 6:20 am

Originally Posted by MDawson (Post 8489314)

Part of democracy is tolerating things that you may not agree with - things that include ignorance and bad manners.

What is your alternative to current western democracy?

In the early days of black migration to the UK, people did put up signs saying 'No dogs, Blacks or Irish'. There is widespread resentment towards current Eastern European, and other, migration over there - although I will agree with you that people over there generally don't have bumper stickers about it (although I'm sure they exist).

moneypenny20 Apr 12th 2010 6:24 am

Originally Posted by MDawson (Post 8489318)
Whats wrong with a good debate , these things need to be addressed and not opressed by moderators who act in favour of all things Australian ?:)

As far as I'm aware, none of us Mods are in favour of all things Australian. I was simply stating what I hoped was not the case, no one is oppressing and I'm not saying it shouldn't be addressed.

Originally Posted by MDawson (Post 8489329)
Anyone who hasn't heard this must have been hiding under a rock somewhere in Oz ?:p

I've never lived under a rock, my eyes are open all the time except when asleep or blinking. Maybe it depends on the type of person someone mixes with or the kind of people someone attracts by their attitude and behaviour. Who knows. You appear to have been unlucky in the people you met whilst living here.

You're obviously far better off living in the UK so well done for moving on with your life in a place you're happy to live in. Many can't do that for whatever reason.