Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:20 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
In the same way an Oxford undergraduate is excited by the company of his or her fellow undergraduates, (after all, why then go to Oxbridge),
Don't even get me started on that one! Take those rose tinters off, mate - most go for a piece of paper that gives you a head start, a job in the city and the chance to meet their future (successful) spouse. And bump in Stephen Hawking. And go punting.

Lol, I'm generalising, obviously, but I doubt there are that many people who go to Oxbridge purely for the joy of learning. Most go because they can.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:21 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millymog
I said
Maybe it was the wrong time or place to go but i didnt really enjoy it.
Then i mentioned i went to Adelaide.

Like i said before. People have read into it too much. I was just pointing out that i didnt like it and the reasons i didnt.

Before i went out there i was seriously wanting to move out there because my friend said it was so nice. But all i said, in so many words, dont embark on emigrating unless you have been there but that applies to ANY country not just Aussie..

Jeezzz!!!!

And thanks G
Exactly. You'd be a mug to move anywhere without checking it out first.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:29 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

I said

Like i said before. People have read into it too much. I was just pointing out that i didnt like it and the reasons i didnt.

Before i went out there i was seriously wanting to move out there because my friend said it was so nice. But all i said, in so many words, dont embark on emigrating unless you have been there but that applies to ANY country not just Aussie..

Jeezzz!!!!

And thanks G
Millymog ...sometimes the good things are the things you can't see.
For instance as I have said, I agree Europe is way more exciting than Oz....
but, I am not sure I want my kids raised in the UK.
There seems to be a slipping of standards here-almost a descent into barbarism. Yobbo-ism is on the rise-and the abbrogation of any sense of decency and fair play.
I culture of me-me-me seems setting in in the UK-and I am sick of living in terror of who the next neighbours might be(and I live in a nice area).
I certain sense of "anything that inconveniances me is bad" appears to replace a sense of fair play.....is it my imagination????
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:32 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by Breezey
Millymog ...sometimes the good things are the things you can't see.
For instance as I have said, I agree Europe is way more exciting than Oz....
but, I am not sure I want my kids raised in the UK.
There seems to be a slipping of standards here-almost a descent into barbarism. Yobbo-ism is on the rise-and the abbrogation of any sense of decency and fair play.
I culture of me-me-me seems setting in in the UK-and I am sick of living in terror of who the next neighbours might be(and I live in a nice area).
I certain sense of "anything that inconveniances me is bad" appears to replace a sense of fair play.....is it my imagination????

Again, it depends where you live. I don't feel the UK is like that, not where I live at any rate (not far off Bradford, FWIW).

You'll get people like that everywhere, just as you'll get clever people, or interesting people, or decent people. Luck of the draw in many respects.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:42 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bundy
Again, it depends where you live. I don't feel the UK is like that, not where I live at any rate (not far off Bradford, FWIW).

You'll get people like that everywhere, just as you'll get clever people, or interesting people, or decent people. Luck of the draw in many respects.
Look -you cant keep saying there are good people and bad people everywhere-it starts sounding stupid-there are good people in rwanda too-so effing what.
I could swear that in Oz a much greater sense of civility exists-does anyone else agree.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:44 am
She's a bird, you know

Look -you cant keep saying there are good people and bad people everywhere-it starts sounding stupid-there are good people in rwanda too-so effing what.
I could swear that in Oz a much greater sense of civility exists-does anyone else agree.

Nope (obviously). It doesn't matter where you are, it's who you're with.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 3:13 am
Banned

Nope (obviously). It doesn't matter where you are, it's who you're with.
To be honest-i think you are an idiot. Why are you on a forum of this nature-that basically compares one place to another-if to you everywhere on earth is absolutely the same-you have little to add here.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 3:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest-i think you are an idiot. Why are you on a forum of this nature-that basically compares one place to another-if to you everywhere on earth is absolutely the same-you have little to add here.
Now now now - we'll have no trouble here - I'm the designated forum name-caller, always on hand to get an official telling off from the powers-that-be and letting everyone else adopt the moral high-ground.

Old Apr 10th 2006, 3:24 am
She's a bird, you know

I didn't say anything of the sort. Nowhere anywhere is the same, if we're going to get all existential.

What I am saying is that it is very difficult to rate one country above another because the view will be largely subjective. They all have good and bad points, which is clearly what fuels this forum.

However, what this forum cannot, and does not propose to do, is detract from the reality that people make choices for a variety personal reasons. If Australia really was the most civilised place on earth, then why aren't we all living there?

Personally, I believe this forum has more to offer than simple comparing two places.

But then what would I know. I'm just an idiot.

But at least I can construct an argument.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 3:28 am
Banned

If Australia really was the most civilised place on earth, then why aren't we all living there?
Thats why it is (one) of the most civilised places on Earth-I lot of land-not a lot of people.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 3:29 am
She's a bird, you know

Thats why it is (one) of the most civilised places on Earth-I lot of land-not a lot of people.

Eh?????? So it's civilised cos no one lives there? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I said

Jeezzz!!!!

And thanks G
I would'nt worry, most australians that have been to adelaide say pretty much the same thing about it, at least youve been there, most people arguing in this thread have probably never set foot there and would most likely have the same opinion as you if they went there.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:31 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I would'nt worry, most australians that have been to adelaide say pretty much the same thing about it, at least youve been there, most people arguing in this thread have probably never set foot there and would most likely have the same opinion as you if they went there.

Awwwweeee, don't burst the bubble
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

been reading this topic for a day or two now...an just gotta say..

its a right good read...
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:41 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping i would like it that much that i would try to emigrate. But now i have been, i was really glad to be back in good old England.

Maybe it was the wrong time or place to go but i didnt really enjoy it. I went to Adelaide and as soon as the sun came out, we had mouthfuls and eyefuls of flies. All i was doing was the "Australian wave" as they call it. The beaches looked like you would get in Tenby in Wales. I just found there was no character to it. So its safe to say that i wont be going again. My advise is to people, take a good look at where you are thinking of going BEFORE you embark on this long mission of getting accepted. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.
A 21 page thread??!!! Well done Molly!!

Graham

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.