Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

Wikiposts

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by Hels
But when it comes to the obnoxious, pretentious & pompous posters that cant see past the bridle of their high horse.....Grrrrrrrrrr.....
.......and all countries seem to produce them

There seem to be quite a few in Australia

G
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

G

What about any of my posts is obnoxious, pretentious or pompous?

You obviously have a very different definition to the one thats in my Dictionary....which happens to be the Oxford!!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What about any of my posts is obnoxious, pretentious or pompous?

You obviously have a very different definition to the one thats in my Dictionary....which happens to be the Oxford!!
Who mentioned you ?

You are just one of many 'defenders of the faith'.

Still...if the cap fits......

G
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

You are just one of many 'defenders of the faith'.

LOL...you really DONT know me.....nor my posts on here!!

So, like I said....my main pet peeve is sweeping generalisations....and you just made one!!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

So, like I said....my main pet peeve is sweeping generalisations....
OK

So let's hear from you when people make sweeping generalisations about how awful the UK is or when any poster who s percieved as negative is flamed by the dreamers.

Or is your dislike of sweeping generalisations reserved only for anything percieved as anti-Australian?

G
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:50 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by millymog
Can i just say, if you come to Britain, ANY part of Britain, that is where you will see character. Quaint houses built of all shapes and sizes, greenary, lakes, forests, mountains, streams, rivers, need i go on?
when i was in Adelaide it was just vast browness, dried up ditches, FLIES and bungalows with tin fences either in green or beige...Im sorry, but i just didnt like it..
Look-lets face it Oz IS BORING-but it has its good points-lots of them-exciting isnt everything.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

G
come on Grayling, knock it off!

There's another thing that annoys me. I have a LOT of time for alot of posters - indeed I would befriend them - and have alot in common, yet I find that I disagree with them alot recently. It makes me look like I'm arguing when I don't even want to!

"There's quite a few in Australia" is the sort of comment that just stirs it up Grayling mate. I can't see why a poster like you even needs to post that. It's not a competition to see who can be the most objective. (!)
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

OK

So let's hear from you when people make sweeping generalisations about how awful the UK is or when any poster who s percieved as negative is flamed by the dreamers.

Or is your dislike of sweeping generalisations reserved only for anything percieved as anti-Australian?

G

Ahhhh but I dont have nearly as much experience of the UK as I do of Australia to know what are generalisations and whats not. See, unlike some on here, I talk about what I know.....not what I think I know....
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
come on Grayling, knock it off!

There's another thing that annoys me. I have a LOT of time for alot of posters - indeed I would befriend them - and have alot in common, yet I find that I disagree with them alot recently. It makes me look like I'm arguing when I don't even want to!

"There's quite a few in Australia" is the sort of comment that just stirs it up Grayling mate. I can't see why a poster like you even needs to post that. It's not a competition to see who can be the most objective. (!)
Fair enough Badge

I tend not to get insulting to people but today I have been called 'patronising', 'pompous' and even had one 'new' poster making comments about my previous posting history....all because I tried to defend someone who disliked Australia.

It takes two to tango....

G
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:01 am
Bitter and twisted

See, unlike some on here, I talk about what I know.....not what I think I know....
I could come up with a clever answer to that....but you can have the last word if that is what you want.

G
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

all because I tried to defend someone who disliked Australia.
Do you take each case on merit or just hold the view that 'they dislike Australia, therefore they are in my gang' ? Half the problem seems to be that people take up entrenched positions and no amount of reasoning will budge them, no matter how stupid they end up looking.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

OK

G
Eh? Does she HAVE to comment about the UK then? Is she duty bound? Maybe as this is an aussie lifestyle forum she is entitled to be a bit aussie focused, even when she is not, and she's not half the time. You often say that - attacking people who might be anti-australian on this recent vendetta of yours in the name of some sort of balance. Why are you so concerned? All we know is, you're bloody priveleged, I know how it feels. Around and round in circles. Remember. Happy people win. End of story. If moving to Australia cures some of your problems, you have every right to have a moan about the UK, in the same way a move back might make you change your mind. I've told you before, believe it or not, I am happy in Australia for precisely the reasons you are happy in the UK - but we both know we have situations that 90pc of our fellow countrymen can't have. I KNOW why people slag off Australia - they are living in the wrong place, just like that bloke 30k from you is...you KNOW that Grayling!

I don't mind people slagging off the UK. The FX rate means that you can buy out here what you can't get in the UK, providing you don't buy in a shithole. If the countries were reversed, I might be in the Uk now.

What I'm saying is, why do we need to be so fixated on balance anyhow? This a sight for people talking about australia, of course people are going to have little pet peeves about the UK or they wouldn't be here. The really big trolls can be discounted out of hand most of the time anyway, as I've said before!

We don't need to keep fueling the fire all the time!

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Apr 10th 2006 at 12:09 am.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:10 am
Account Closed

I could come up with a clever answer to that....but you can have the last word if that is what you want.

G

You can say whatever you like, G.

I tend not to get insulting to people but today I have been called 'patronising', 'pompous'
Are you trying to say that you dont intend to come across patronising and pompous?? This is a serious question....
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:11 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Do you take each case on merit or just hold the view that 'they dislike Australia, therefore they are in my gang' ? Half the problem seems to be that people take up entrenched positions and no amount of reasoning will budge them, no matter how stupid they end up looking.
Says he in his trench....
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm not going to comment on the gang mentality cos it's dangerous.

I agree. Its NOT all BLACK and WHITE!!!! jeez...

And you know what, I still respect Grayling and his posts!!! I'm not going to not play with him just because in this thread and a few others I've disagreed with him....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.