Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:38 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Does the cat fall in half when you slice it with the red dot?

If not, I'll keep the sword.
Not exactly, but then I'd like to see you try and catch one of ours to get close enough with a sword....

...and at least the red dot temporarily blinds them.

(no, don't panic, I don't shine it in their eyes, I know the laser warnings etc etc)
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bundy
You being pretentious again G?

G
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Breezey
i wasnt speaking scientifically-and hardly anyone lives in the outback-but the few that do can be quite interesting people.
If you stay in the inner suburbs, ie in Melbourne's case, within 10-15k of the CBD, or the semi-rural areas, you meet seriously interesting people. They remind me of the people I knew in the Armed Forces - pragmatic, well educated, witty, enigmatic, good leaders, their total was more than the sum of their parts - but practical, and not at all materialistic beyond getting a job done and maybe doing it well. If they happen to have a good standard of living it's not mindless if that makes sense.

I get really fustrated when I hear another suburban hell story about how little culture there is here, or how there's nothing but hoons, and all people do is BBQ. I've had anther fantastic weekend where I've met again - some seriously talented people. I've met a bloke who is an IT director but also can play x no of instruments and sing well. At the same time he keeps horses. One guy has built an extension on his own home in a few months and just shrugs at the effort - and he's not even a tradesman. Breezy there are some seriously interesting people out here. One of the destractions on living on acreage or in a village is that you get to learn things that people don't - learn anymore. I like that - I like learning something new every day. One of the things I will teach my kids, is don't worry about being clever at school, just surround yourself with clever people, and they will teach you what you really need to know.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:50 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
If you stay in the inner suburbs, ie in Melbourne's case, within 10-15k of the CBD, or the semi-rural areas, you meet seriously interesting people. They remind me of the people I knew in the Armed Forces - pragmatic, well educated, witty, enigmatic, good leaders, their total was more than the sum of their parts - but practical, and not at all materialistic beyond getting a job done and maybe doing it well. If they happen to have a good standard of living it's not mindless if that makes sense.

I get really fustrated when I hear another suburban hell story about how little culture there is here, or how there's nothing but hoons, and all people do is BBQ. I've had anther fantastic weekend where I've met again - some seriously talented people. I've met a bloke who is an IT director but also can play x no of instruments and sing well. At the same time he keeps horses. One guy has built an extension on his own home in a few months and just shrugs at the effort - and he's not even a tradesman. Breezy there are some seriously interesting people out here. One of the destractions on living on acreage or in a village is that you get to learn things that people don't - learn anymore. I like that - I like learning something new every day. One of the things I will teach my kids, is don't worry about being clever at school, just surround yourself with clever people, and they will teach you what you really need to know.

Do clever people only live in Australia? Just curious, since I am clever, and do not.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Do clever people only live in Australia? Just curious, since I am clever, and do not.
No.My main point is that where I live now, there are some *interesting people*, I don't if truth be told, want to use the word 'clever', because that is a matter of opinion. I know clever people who have been to Oxbridge, and I know clever people who haven't. (I know you went to Cambridge lol). I also said that these same interesting people reminded me of the same in the UK. The difference is that I can afford to live here with some of these distractions, whereas I couldn't in the UK.

Surely being clever, you can see that?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:02 am
She's a bird, you know

No.My main point is that where I live now, there are some *interesting people*, I don't if truth be told, want to use the word 'clever', because that is a matter of opinion. I know clever people who have been to Oxbridge, and I know clever people who haven't. (I know you went to Cambridge lol). I also said that these same interesting people reminded me of the same in the UK. The difference is that I can afford to live here with some of these distractions, whereas I couldn't in the UK.

Surely being clever, you can see that?

Hmmm, I see your point. What made me laugh is that I also know someone who owns and directs a company, plays in a band and keeps horses. But he lives in Halifax, not Oz.

I meet interesting (and clever) people every day, wherever I am.

Are interesting people a distraction to you then (curious, not defensive).
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:04 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

I find that Australia is full of high-calibre people-thats all. I imagine of a type that once existed in spades in the UK. I don't think the UK has "gone to the dogs"-but standards have dropped awfully-attitudes, manners are appalling.
Ironically I find Australinas more "British".
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a line Death might utter in a Terry Pratchet book.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmm, I see your point. What made me laugh is that I also know someone who owns and directs a company, plays in a band and keeps horses. But he lives in Halifax, not Oz.

Are interesting people a distraction to you then (curious, not defensive).
Indeed. But noone said you had to live in any specific country to do those things - its just that we have our own 'fair share'...and that's why I like it(!) In the same way an Oxford undergraduate is excited by the company of his or her fellow undergraduates, (after all, why then go to Oxbridge), I am excited by the people I live with. Because I like learning. People don't go to Oxbridge to be average do they?! Or do they, I don't know - as I was not an undergraduate there but other family members did. This is the Australia lifestyle forum, and where I live, people live in a way on an income which would be very difficult to do in Western Europe. So I count my blessings.

Frankly the day I stop learning is the day I'd give up!

I say distraction to be funny as in 'not boring'. I *want* to be distracted by people.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Breezey
I find that Australia is full of high-calibre people-thats all. I imagine of a type that once existed in spades in the UK. I don't think the UK has "gone to the dogs"-but standards have dropped awfully-attitudes, manners are appalling.
Ironically I find Australinas more "British".
hmmm. Know what you mean. But as Bundy says, these people exist everywhere, in the Uk too. It's all what you can get out of life, wherever that might be.

To be honest, I find that the traits I admire in the English, I'm also finding in Australians.....its why I get so annoyed when people think all Aussies are hoons <insert sterotype>. I like my part of Australia because it is in its own way very like England - in some ways - the mind boggles. Yet there are people 20k down the road living in a nightmare by all accounts. Yet it is still good old Straya..
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:39 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

hmmm. Know what you mean. But as Bundy says, these people exist everywhere, in the Uk too. It's all what you can get out of life, wherever that might be.

To be honest, I find that the traits I admire in the English, I'm also finding in Australians.....its why I get so annoyed when people think all Aussies are hoons <insert sterotype>. I like my part of Australia because it is in its own way very like England - in some ways - the mind boggles. Yet there are people 20k down the road living in a nightmare by all accounts. Yet it is still good old Straya..

What about the Scottish, they're just fabulous aren't they
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Margaret2
they're good in a fight mate.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

they're good in a fight mate.
Only when they are on your side, else they are very bad :scared:
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:03 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Seriously-the Scottish on the whole, do still have a decency and honesty about them that seems dying out in England.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

millymog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
I am sure if the OP came on and said just spent 2 weeks in Adelaide and hated it...just didnt find anything that interested me at all and dont think I will move there now and I suggest people come out and visit before spending all of their hard earned on applying for a visa....

I am SURE people would have reacted very differently!! They might have suggested trying somewhere else in Oz or at least been a little more constructive. If they hadnt, we would not be having this discussion right now

I said
Maybe it was the wrong time or place to go but i didnt really enjoy it.
Then i mentioned i went to Adelaide.

Like i said before. People have read into it too much. I was just pointing out that i didnt like it and the reasons i didnt.

Before i went out there i was seriously wanting to move out there because my friend said it was so nice. But all i said, in so many words, dont embark on emigrating unless you have been there but that applies to ANY country not just Aussie..

Jeezzz!!!!

And thanks G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.