Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I think i want to go home

Wikiposts

I think i want to go home

Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice
Default Re: I think i want to go home

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Glad you are feeling better. Funny that. Christmas is out of the way and I'm feeling better as well. Long may it last
Hi

Me too, I am glad that christmas stuff is out the way. It sends me a bit wobbly! weeehhhhh!!!!!.

I always go for a long walk everyday between christmas and new year, and it's great to get out the house.

p.s. UK digital TV channels are full of crock, just as much as Australian TV is full of their imported left over crock!

Now digital radio - that is the go. Hope they get that in Australia soon too.

Yes, family can be odd creatures that is a given. I have come to the conclusion that many of mine simply do not understand the ups and downs of it all, not should I expect them too really.

Hang in there, Australia is great in many ways, just as the UK is too. Life is an adventure to be lived.

Tell you what though folks, those nice sunny adverts for holidays on Sky3 or whatever channel it was, when it was pouring with rain here yesterday and dark at 3.30pm made me want to jump on the next plane to Perth!.

Cheers
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:04 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by betsyboob
We have been in Oz for around 4months now and i really feel like i want to go home.
It's not that i don't like it here, it's OK, but it just doesn't feel right.
It has been alot more bearable since i have found work but out of work i just don't know what to do with myself. It seems queenslanders just live for the beach and the occasional BBQ, and i just don't know if that is enough for me. The kids love the beach but you have to be really careful not to get burnt as it is rarely below 30, and i find i just don't want to go out most of the time - i might as well be in blighty stuck in the house because it's raining
We have met some great people but the kids are growing up so fast and i have noone to share it with and no family to visit at xmas.
OH likes it here now (although he has also had his moments) and i don't want to take the blame if we move back and he's unhappy.
ijst don't know what to do, my head says stay longer and hope that it passes and my heart says that i won't last another 3months as i am really starting to detest it here.
Anyone else been through the same?
yes and after long and hard thinking we are going home in feb. a lot of people will say that is to soon, to me its not. we will be here 9 months when we go home, I'm enjoying my self more now because i have something to aim for and can not wait to see my family again.

it could be a case of the wobbles for you and you might change your mind, i know when i first thought i wanted to go home, DH and I agreed to wait till Christmas and if I still felt the same then we would talk about what we should do. it just turned out that I couldn't last that long and we got a great price on flights. but it might work out for you and you might decided to stay longer.

i hope it all works out for you PM me if you like
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:12 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I think the last few months before you leave the UK/wherever are totally artificial - parties galore, people want to see you just one last time, and you are the centre of attention.

You move away and, whilst everything is exciting and new to you, your friends and family get on with their lives. (Oh I know I was unbearable - just how many photos of the condo pool did I send everyone? )

If you go back - and we've only done it on annual visits but I notice it then too - you are all highly excitable again and wonder why everyone else is not so excited, but they are just getting on with their lives. (Well apart from one of my friends who wants to see me the whole 3 days I'm in Yorkshire; I love her but I also need to shop!)

JenJen, I remember you pre-arrival, I remember you on arrival, and I remember how thoroughly miserable you were. Then you realised you were pregnant and very unwell, and couldn't wait to get back. I know you had no support system here but I wish we'd all managed to persuade you to stay. You moved to the MBTTUK forum very quickly and I don't go in there so I'm just catching up on your news; I know you did what you had to do but I'm so sorry it's not working out as you thought. If nothing else, it should act as a warning to betsyboob to slow down, not make any rash decisions. You're offering some great advice and insights. I hope you get back here one day soon.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:48 pm

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aussietobe
I disagree... do not go to the MBTUK forum, it is often full of unhappy, negative people (and I do feel for them) but you need people to give positive, constructive advice, not a forum where everyone has a whinge about OZ, or Canada or wherever... negativity feeds negativity./
I disagree, it can really help to talk to some one feeling exactly the same. I have gotten some excellent advice and it helped me a lot. ild consider none of it negative, most said it was normal to be feeling the way I was and give it time as sometimes its just a phase and you settle and love it . then there is the small amout who dont and your feelings get stronger and you then decide to go home. ive seen other people feeling the same as poster is now and get great advice and decide to stay. Australia is not for every one and nobody knows it till you try!

I wouldnt say its a forum just for whingeing about Australia at all, yep I wont deny there one or two threads on that. but there is plenty here giving out about home or were ever, fact of life we will always have something we dont like about Australia or home and then we moan about it
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Le Chant
I don't think it matters whether you're 10 minutes away, or 10'000 miles. If you really, really feel this way and don't see those feelings changing, then I think you'd be better off leaving for the UK. Many folks will offer you 'advice', but it's always based on their own personal feelings, never your own - how can it be? Unless someone has exactly the life, friends, situation as you?

To be honest, you sound like you've made up your mind. It sounds as though your o/h will make the move back with you, so why wait? If he's happier where he is, but is willing to move back to the UK for the sake of your own happiness then you shouldn't question that. Just accept it.

Whatever you do, you don't get long on this planet, you're blessed with youth and good health and there may well come a time when you're ready to move and settle elsewhere, maybe not just right now.

Bonne chance!
here, here
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dickchap
Hi, Reading your post was like reading my own feelings. We have been in Mackay for nearly 3 months now. I know it's not a long time but I am finding it really hard. I try to remember how it felt when we got our visa's and how we felt when we were planning our new life. I try and stay positive. It was our dream to come to OZ. It's not that I don't like it, its just something doesn't feel right. I am quite lonely most of the time and I really miss chatting with my friends back in the UK. The way I see it, we are going to carry on for a year and hope that we feel more settled. We are looking at it as a long working holiday. While we are here we are going to do as much as we can and see as many places as we can. This way if we do return to the UK we will have some great memories. I don't want to return to the UK with regrets.
Hi, my hubby and I feel the same we have been 5 months and are almost certain we dont want to stay here and have decided to treat it as a working holiday and commit for a year then if we still feel the same go home!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:31 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
I disagree, it can really help to talk to some one feeling exactly the same. I have gotten some excellent advice and it helped me a lot. ild consider none of it negative, most said it was normal to be feeling the way I was and give it time as sometimes its just a phase and you settle and love it . then there is the small amout who dont and your feelings get stronger and you then decide to go home. ive seen other people feeling the same as poster is now and get great advice and decide to stay. Australia is not for every one and nobody knows it till you try!

I wouldnt say its a forum just for whingeing about Australia at all, yep I wont deny there one or two threads on that. but there is plenty here giving out about home or were ever, fact of life we will always have something we dont like about Australia or home and then we moan about it
Well said Baby.

I suppose the poster feels they should stay in here, suffer in silence, pretend all is ok, stiff upper lip and all that, instead of getting support help and advice from people who really are feeling the same way they do and they can relate to
We actually manage to have a good laugh over there you know!! And some of the biggest moaning whingers I have seen on this website have been known to hangout in the Barbie. They just moan about diffeent things!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well said Baby.

I suppose the poster feels they should stay in here, suffer in silence, pretend all is ok, stiff upper lip and all that, instead of getting support help and advice from people who really are feeling the same way they do and they can relate to
We actually manage to have a good laugh over there you know!! And some of the biggest moaning whingers I have seen on this website have been known to hangout in the Barbie. They just moan about diffeent things!!
very true
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well said Baby.

I disagree, the only time I feel homesick is when I go in there! So now I jusy don't

Good luck to those of you making the move back to the UK
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by Baby75
yes and after long and hard thinking we are going home in feb. a lot of people will say that is to soon, to me its not. we will be here 9 months when we go home, I'm enjoying my self more now because i have something to aim for and can not wait to see my family again.

it could be a case of the wobbles for you and you might change your mind, i know when i first thought i wanted to go home, DH and I agreed to wait till Christmas and if I still felt the same then we would talk about what we should do. it just turned out that I couldn't last that long and we got a great price on flights. but it might work out for you and you might decided to stay longer.

i hope it all works out for you PM me if you like
Good luck back in the UK, and I am sure it will all work out well for you.

I don't see this forum as a whinging forum as some may think - the fact that we maybe are seen as Brits to moan about things, can be simply interpreted as displaying a caring analysis of a given set of circumstances - it is about expressing views and opinions openly, and not bottling things up. Some moaning is indeed healthy, whilst bottling things up is most definetly not.

Born and bred (some interbred!) get on to use Brits for moaning, but I say, well, at least we have in-depth conversation and engagement with each other, rather than provide superficial nicities about sport, drinking, fishing, holdens, fords, house prices and well, usually who is 'hot'. and who is 'not', then themselves.

Wae Hae the Brits by a long chalk!. There are alot of fantastic things about the British character! Just got to focus upon them more.

Cheers
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:56 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall

I don't see this forum as a whinging forum as some may think - the fact that we maybe are seen as Brits to moan about things, can be simply interpreted as displaying a caring analysis of a given set of circumstances - it is about expressing views and opinions openly, and not bottling things up. Some moaning is indeed healthy, whilst bottling things up is most definetly not.

Born and bred (some interbred!) get on to use Brits for moaning, but I say, well, at least we have in-depth conversation and engagement with each other, rather than provide superficial nicities about sport, drinking, fishing, holdens, fords, house prices and well, usually who is 'hot'. and who is 'not', then themselves.

Wae Hae the Brits by a long chalk!. There are alot of fantastic things about the British character! Just got to focus upon them more.

Cheers
Hallelujah!

Give that man a Blue Peter badge
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall

Cheers
I agree lol only im from Ireland but I think we do the same talk , talk and more talk lol
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Hi betsyboob

God I hear you. In England now for Christmas and New Year (live in Queensland). It is such a head scramble. I called it a mind ***** but my daughter puts it better.

This is our 2nd time back in 3 years.

Just finished our house build in Qld on Oct 16 and flew out to Manchester on 6 Dec.

Left 32 degrees and arrived to minus 3!

At first I hated being back even though my lovely family are all here. My sister said we looked like fish out of water when we arrived.

Me, hubby and daughter all got flu within 4 days so that wasn't gonna help the mood.

BUT now after seeing everyone and going to their houses and parties etc. I am so messed up.

I know I like it in Qld but my heart is in England. BUT I don't want to live here.

I want ALL my family to move to Oz and then I would be fine! Then I think NO! I couldn't be doing with all the hassle from them (large extended family).

It's one extreme to the other, billy one mate in Oz and quite a quiet life to non stop visiting and laughing and talking and not having to try to fit in I just am. Hope this is making some sense?

All my waffle isn't going to help you at all I don't think but I do think a holiday back would give you some answers.

It has messed me up but I am looking forward to going back to Australia even though I love and miss my family so much.

We are having a NYE do and saying goodbye then and then off to another hotel for a day before flying home. Just need to get my head together after saying goodbye to them I can feel the emotions rising as I type.

Taking off the Christmassy, boozy, glasses off I realise I love them all but the distance isn't that bad and I am terrified of flying. They wouldn't have got together as much if we hadn't been here it was a good excuse. They normally just get on with their lives and see each other now and again. No big deal. I realise I am not missing much really.

Back to you (sorry!) after all the hassle of getting the visa a holiday would probably answer some of your questions (this has prob already been said I haven't read the whole thread).

I know it's bleedin expensive but so is shifting all the stuff.

I wish I had Simon Cowell's dosh and could have a place here and in Oz and flit whenever I wanted back and forth. Problem sorted. Maybe one day!

We have been in Oz for around 4months now and i really feel like i want to go home.
It's not that i don't like it here, it's OK, but it just doesn't feel right.
It has been alot more bearable since i have found work but out of work i just don't know what to do with myself. It seems queenslanders just live for the beach and the occasional BBQ, and i just don't know if that is enough for me. The kids love the beach but you have to be really careful not to get burnt as it is rarely below 30, and i find i just don't want to go out most of the time - i might as well be in blighty stuck in the house because it's raining
We have met some great people but the kids are growing up so fast and i have noone to share it with and no family to visit at xmas.
OH likes it here now (although he has also had his moments) and i don't want to take the blame if we move back and he's unhappy.
ijst don't know what to do, my head says stay longer and hope that it passes and my heart says that i won't last another 3months as i am really starting to detest it here.
Anyone else been through the same?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:15 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou, i think that you are probably right. Whilst in the UK my parents were 3hrs away but OH's were 5mins...and yet we would only see them every couple of wks, and that was often when we visited them. They rarely babysat or anything like that but when we left they were devastated. Before we left everyone visited loads and we did more with people than we would have, people said things that they wouldn't have dreamt of and it was all so upsetting. The thing is, that is not how it is normally, and expecting to return to that is unrealistac.

I think all of these posts have really helped me, i have been feeling heaps better over the last couple of days, maybe it is because xmas is out of the way....

I was wondering, if it hasn't worked out for you there will you return to Oz or is it no longer an option?
That's another thing, i won't be going anywhere until 100% as i know that once gone we can't afford to return.

But at the moment i'm feeling OK
It's hard cause I took all the rallying round and tears and we'll miss you crap to heart, people mean things in their own way. I never expected a red carpet when I came back, I didn't expect things to be the same or better I just expected what I'd always associated as normal, everything has felt alien though except the familiarity of knowing where I am, though that brings little comfort. I never expected friends i'd known years who live 5 minutes walk away to avoid me, nor did I expect friends who'd pledged help for when i'd returned suddenly withdraw this much needed help.
We've spent our first Xmas in 9 years being just us and the kids, family didn't understand this as we were back, why shouldn't they come over, they're excuse to see our kids, they haven't seen in at least 3 months in most cases.
It's odd as the few supportive family members we have left that heave been a great support and help to us understand why I am now looking to a point in the future where we can hopefully to return to Australia.
We won't set any firm dates right now, we need to wait to see the cardiologist after baby is born and find out where I stand with regards my heart condition, also we want to focus on babies first few months without the stress of trying to move. I am hopefully that within a year or 2 we will be back out there.
It was so easy when we were there before for me think the grass is greener here, and probably because my husband never really felt homesick he couldn't understand yet the ppl I spoke to back here on skype - friends and family all were really sympathetic and I think that made me feel worse.
I do think that once my health is sorted out, and baby is toddling about and I can go for walks, and don't have to worry about being breathless, exhausted (except for those teething nights - oh goody) and in pain, I will be able to run the kids about, i'll be able to enjoy where we go what we do and hopefully we will be able to rent in an area there is plenty for the kids and me to do.
I llike being outside and loved that winter was like a summer day here, I hate the cold, wet, miserable grey, frosty, icy winter weather and can't feel inspired to be outside much during the winter months.

Perhaps we'd even get on better with our families, not sure i'd want them visiting after all the fun we had with my dad staying for 5 weeks, not so sure i'd want to come back to visit lots of family either as like someone else said there'd probebly be get together and parties etc to attend and you'd get a really nice impression of what life could be like back here, in reality though it would never be like that.

It's mainly just us and the kids in the UK, we do have some family in Canberra and Tasmania, more than some have and I still chat to people in Melbourne, Queensland and we have friends applying at the moment to move out to Perth, not in the area we'd probably move back to but at least in the same country. In total we prob have more friends in Oz now than we do here !!!!!
An even better the company hubby worked for for only a short time have been very supportive and would like to have him back whenever he can get back to them be it a few months or 2 years so hopefully fingers crossed all works out ok.

I do have a great affection for Melbourne it feels like home to me, but we will see what the future brings first.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

JenJen I hope it works out for you. Friends who ignore you are not real friends irrespective of how long you have known them- they have moved on and you don't figure in their lives any more. Families can be odd too!!! (You can choose your friends but not your relatives)
My daughter used to get a flood of e-mails, but after 4 months they have now dried up. She is making new friends to fill the gap. What happens to kids happens to us adults too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.