I need tesco

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:58 am
Just Joined

stef will become famous soon enough
Default I need tesco

Couldnt really find any big supermarkets whilst in Brisbane. We know theres woolworths and coles but in comparison with the uk tesco s and asda s we felt pretty limited foodwise. Talked to a few aussies about it but they didnt know what we were on about! Were we expecting too much.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: I need tesco

Originally Posted by stef
Couldnt really find any big supermarkets whilst in Brisbane. We know theres woolworths and coles but in comparison with the uk tesco s and asda s we felt pretty limited foodwise. Talked to a few aussies about it but they didnt know what we were on about! Were we expecting too much.

yes...tescos/Asda is found in UK only.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:04 am
Just Joined

stef will become famous soon enough

Yea thanks for that.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:06 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Go and find a local market we bought enough meet for five meals for $30
lovely fresh stuff and cheap fruit and veg too, not to mention freshly ground coffee.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:13 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
Why? Go and find a local market we bought enough meet for five meals for $30
lovely fresh stuff and cheap fruit and veg too, not to mention freshly ground coffee.

agreed ... there was somthing on our local news last night, they were doing a comparison with a farmers market, local hight street shops and tescos...

the local high street shops came out on top with price, the farmers market was top on quality and tescos was the most convinient ..

when we get to brisbane, we are going to take that opportunity to change our habit of just going to tescos or adsa to do our shop!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:16 am
jackie

Originally Posted by stef

Hi seen a thread a couple of weeks ago said Brisbane is getting a marks and sparks !
jackie

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:18 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Stef the supermarkets are very poor here by comparison. There are no: -

Ready meals, especially no Tesco's Finest
Cheap petrol stations
Alcohol
Speedy checkouts (they call them registers here and you just have to wait your turn)
Self-scan checkouts (can you imagine it here - I don't think it would work!)
No Walkers crisps, no Opal Fruits, no Tunnock's wafer biscuits, no Toffee Crisps.....

Welcome to Australia!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
S

Welcome to Australia!
Big W has selfservice checkouts
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
Sorry Stef the supermarkets are very poor here by comparison. There are no: -

Ready meals, especially no Tesco's Finest
Cheap petrol stations
Alcohol
Speedy checkouts (they call them registers here and you just have to wait your turn)
No Walkers crisps, no Opal Fruits, no Tunnock's wafer biscuits, no Toffee Crisps.....

Welcome to Australia!
Taking these in turn:

Australian supermarkets HAVE tried ready meals and their clientele didn't want them in sufficient quantities so they don't bother much - apparently it's something to do with eating out more and cheaply in restaurants, being able to get fresher ingredients to do your own cooking, the popularity of barbies, the popularity of many different ethnic takeaways and the generally slightly slower pace of life which means many people aren't as 'time starved' as their Tesco loving counterparts.

Cheap petrol ahem, I got some cheap fuel at Asda last week for over $2.10 a litre which admittedly was cheaper than the garages were offering! Coles and Safeway give 4 cents a litre off at a linked garage if you bill is over a certain figure.

Alcohol is sold in a separate section - different country, different laws

Speedy checkouts? It must be a while since you were last in Tesco, Asda or Morrison's. Our last 3 visits to each of these were anything but speedy at the checkout. And so many people pay by plastic these days it adds to your wait.

Self scan checkouts. You've got me on that one, the supermarkets I go to (in Melbourne when over) didn't have these!

Go to the Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne or the many farmers markets I have been to in Melbourne and it cures you of wanting supermarket quality produce!

OzTennis
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of food - fresh fruit and veg is astronomical in Tesco - don't think your missing out. Try and buy fish, need to take out a mortgage.
angela
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:05 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I gotta quote you right back OzTennis

Australian supermarkets HAVE tried ready meals and their clientele didn't want them in sufficient quantities so they don't bother much - apparently it's something to do with eating out more and cheaply in restaurants, being able to get fresher ingredients to do your own cooking, the popularity of barbies, the popularity of many different ethnic takeaways and the generally slightly slower pace of life which means many people aren't as 'time starved' as their Tesco loving counterparts.

Good answer but all we want is the occasional "ready meal", can't say I used them all the time in UK but once a week or fortnight was nice - good value and good quality generally. So I'm correct then, you can't buy ready meals here. Especially Sainsbury's Thai curries. I miss those so much.

Cheap petrol ahem, I got some cheap fuel at Asda last week for over $2.10 a litre which admittedly was cheaper than the garages were offering! Coles and Safeway give 4 cents a litre off at a linked garage if you bill is over a certain figure.

A linked garage is no good to me and to most others here. In UK you get a petrol station on site at many supermarkets. I get the fuel then catch up with the wife inside the store ... easy. So I think I am correct on that one.

Alcohol is sold in a separate section - different country, different laws

Yes was in Hall's Gap, VIC at the weekend and that was the case. In SA you can't get a bottle of wine to have with your tea for love nor money; you have to make a trip to a completely different shop.

Speedy checkouts? It must be a while since you were last in Tesco, Asda or Morrison's. Our last 3 visits to each of these were anything but speedy at the checkout. And so many people pay by plastic these days it adds to your wait.

I was in a number of Tesco stores in March and April this year (also Sainsbury's and Asda). We will have to differ on this one. I think unmanned tills is a huge problem everywhere. I have more than once walked out of supermarkets in SA because of queue length at tills.

Self scan checkouts. You've got me on that one, the supermarkets I go to (in Melbourne when over) didn't have these!

Tesco Horwich had these this year and I think they are spreading widely in UK - totally quick, totally (perceivably) accurate and totally electronic, excellent service and if they are slow you blame yourself!

Go to the Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne or the many farmers markets I have been to in Melbourne and it cures you of wanting supermarket quality produce!

I shop at Willunga Farmers' Market (SA) most Saturday mornings but you have to admit Saturday mornings only come round once a week! In UK many supermarkets open 24 hours. I have not found any 24 hour stores in SA.

All in all then I think we must agree that the supermarkets are inferior here. No-one is comparing fuel schemes, farmers' markets, family barbecues, lifestyle etc, that stuff is irrelevant; the OP asked about supermarkets. All I am saying is that on store service and facilities, opening hours, products and convenience the shops are better back home than here.

Try Mclaren Vale Bi-Lo sometime - I despair of that place and have no substitute within about 10 kms!

Rab (got nothing better to do than argue about bloody shops )
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

were going to Brisbane in March, are there plenty of farmers style markets there and are they economical in comparison to the supermarkets?

Would be really handy to know if living pretty central in brisbane where the best places to buy

Fish

Meat

Fruit/veg

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by lawlaw
were going to Brisbane in March, are there plenty of farmers style markets there and are they economical in comparison to the supermarkets?

Would be really handy to know if living pretty central in brisbane where the best places to buy

Fish

Meat

Fruit/veg

Thanks
Supermarkets here are extortionately expensive :scared:
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:11 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw

Fish

Meat

Fruit/veg

Thanks
Farmers markets are listed on www.ourbrisbane.com.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Big W has selfservice checkouts
So does our local K-Mart. Never a queue as the Aussie's seem really scared of them. It even takes cash and gives the correct change. More effiecient than the checkout staff ( no offence anybody )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.