Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am wrong or are they!!!

I am wrong or are they!!!

Old May 11th 2006, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of
Default I am wrong or are they!!!

I think i am going crazy, Or is my english not very good, My daughter had to do a word search page for her homework and she had to write two words but with the same sounding, Ie eight/ ate so we looked for an hour looking for the same as sore i am looking for the soar becasue i thought that would be the right word, So went up to the school and complained saying that the word search was wrong because the only word i could see that was not used was saw, She went away and said she would look in to it, Only to tell my daughter that sore and saw are the same word and its my accent that was wrong. I thought that we all spoke the queens english. Any help
Suzanne
Old May 11th 2006, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am wrong or are they!!!

Originally Posted by svinnes
I think i am going crazy, Or is my english not very good, My daughter had to do a word search page for her homework and she had to write two words but with the same sounding, Ie eight/ ate so we looked for an hour looking for the same as sore i am looking for the soar becasue i thought that would be the right word, So went up to the school and complained saying that the word search was wrong because the only word i could see that was not used was saw, She went away and said she would look in to it, Only to tell my daughter that sore and saw are the same word and its my accent that was wrong. I thought that we all spoke the queens english. Any help
Suzanne
Sore and saw sound the same to me!
Old May 11th 2006, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Suzanne
OK. Firstly, there is no right or wrong, just different.

Sore and Saw are exactly the same to my aussie dialect.
Flour and flower?? I was also educated that these are the same. I move - and everyone laughs at me
Old May 11th 2006, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

That's because aussies pronounce 'w' as 're' - 'Law and Order' is pronounced 'Lore and Order' or drawing is pronounced draw-ring - there is right and wrong, this is wrong
Old May 11th 2006, 6:40 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Suzanne
soar: soar (RISE QUICKLY) Show phonetics
verb
1 [I usually + adverb or preposition] to rise very quickly to a high level:
All night long fireworks soared into the sky.
Temperatures will soar into the eighties over the weekend say the weather forecasters.
House prices had soared a further twenty per cent.

2 [T] to reach an impressive height:
The highest peak in the range soars 15 771 feet into the sky.

adjective
soaring property prices.

link for above Here

sore: sore (PAINFUL) Show phonetics
adjective
painful and uncomfortable because of injury, infection or too much use:
All the dust has made my eyes sore.
I've got a sore throat.
My feet were sore with all the walking.

sore Show phonetics
noun [C]
a painful area on the surface of a body, especially an infected area:
The poor dog's back was covered with sores.
See also cold sore.

soreness Show phonetics
noun [U]

link to above Here.

saw: noun [C]
a tool with a long or round blade and a row of sharp points along one edge, which is used for cutting hard materials, such as wood or metal:
a hand/power/chain/circular saw
See also fretsaw; hacksaw; jigsaw.

saw Show phonetics
verb sawed, sawn or ESP. US sawed
1 [I or T] to cut wood or other hard material using a saw:
They sawed the door in half.
He sawed through the pipe.

2 [I + adverb or preposition] to move something backwards and forwards as if using a saw:
He was sawing away at his violin, making a terrible noise!

also

saw (SEE) Show phonetics

past simple of see

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

link to above Here.
Old May 11th 2006, 6:45 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
OK. Firstly, there is no right or wrong, just different.

Sore and Saw are exactly the same to my aussie dialect.
Flour and flower?? I was also educated that these are the same. I move - and everyone laughs at me
they are pronouced the same but have different meanings.

flour: flour Show phonetics
noun [U]
powder made from grain, especially wheat, used for making bread, cakes, pasta, pastry, etc.
See also cornflour.

flour Show phonetics
verb [T]
to put flour on a surface to prevent food from sticking:
Grease and flour (= put a thin layer of flour on) the tins thoroughly.

floury Show phonetics
adjective
1 covered in flour, or tasting or feeling like flour:
She wiped her floury hands on a cloth.

2 UK describes potatoes that are dry and break into small pieces when they are cooked

link to above Here.

flower: flower (PLANT) Show phonetics
noun [C]
the part of a plant which is often brightly coloured with a pleasant smell, or the type of plant that produces these:
wild flowers
to pick flowers
a bunch/bouquet of flowers
cut/dried flowers
See pictures , .

flower Show phonetics
verb [I]
to produce flowers:
When does this plant flower?

flowery Show phonetics
adjective
1 (ALSO flowered) decorated with pictures of flowers:
a flowery material/dress
flowery curtains/wallpaper

2 DISAPPROVING If a speech or writing style is flowery, it uses too many complicated words or phrases in an attempt to sound skilful:
a flowery description/speech

link to above Here.
Old May 11th 2006, 6:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: I am wrong or are they!!!

Suzanne
This woman is a cretin and a disgrace to the Australian education system. She should not be teaching.
Old May 11th 2006, 6:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
This woman is a cretin and a disgrace to the Australian education system. She should not be teaching.
that's no way to speak about Suzanne

Anyway short and sweet and to the point.
Old May 11th 2006, 7:12 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Suzanne
I'd agree with you. And I'm also from deepest, darkest Somerset where *sore* and *saw* could never sound the same in a month of Sundays.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

blimey I'm from sarf east london and saw and sore sound exactly the same to me!
Old May 11th 2006, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Suzanne

Aussies cant speak english to save their lives, I had a similar argument over the words FOR and FOUR, Aussie teacher said they were pronounced the same, I dont think so.

And what about the use of singular and plural, they havent got a clue. How many time do you hear a newsreader for example say something like:-

There is loads of reasons..........or there is 500 people outside.............Lets face it, it's either English or it's wrong, you cant say you speak one language and then alter it to suit yourself, maybe all those convicts were just a bit thick when they came over and it's their fault.

Andy

Last edited by andy thomas; May 11th 2006 at 9:00 am.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy thomas
Aussies cant speak english to save their lives, I had a similar argument over the words FOR and FOUR, Aussie teacher said they were pronounced the same, I dont think so.

And what about the use of singular and plural, they havent got a clue. How many time do you hear a newsreader for example say something like:-

There is loads of reasons..........or there is 500 people outside.............Lets face it, it's either English or it's wrong, you cant say you speak one language and then alter it to suit yourself, maybe all those convicts were just a bit thick when they came over and it's there fault.

Andy
Well If thats the case I'll fit right in then!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:05 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i've been there nearly 2 years now and i still have a rant at the news/sports presenters when they say something like ".. and this is the xx players duh-boo!"... what the fik is a duhboo anyway? it always used to be debut where i come from.... but we don't exactly speak reet propper up 'ere anyweh.

Old May 11th 2006, 9:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Much the same with many French words - I've had three arguments over the way to say "Moet" and 'c'est la vie' is pronounced with a T by a guy at work - have worked out now that they just say them as they look, no silent letters.

But the two that annoy me everytime are know-en/show-en - there's no E in it for goodness sake, and the Queensland "yous" - as in "Are yous going to work tomorrow" - there's only one of me, why make it plural!!!!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Suzanne

soar and saw sound completely different to me. I would have gone with sore and soar too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.