Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How safe is Australia?

How safe is Australia?

Old Oct 18th 2002, 1:55 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default How safe is Australia?

A 13-YEAR-OLD girl fired a police revolver she found lying in a Girrawheen street, after it was thrown out of a speeding car by an escaping offender yesterday afternoon.

The shot narrowly missed her sister.

The drama began just after 4pm, when two uniformed officers from Warwick stopped a station wagon with a man and a woman inside in Brecknock Way, Girrawheen. After some investigation, the officers led the man towards their police van.

But a scuffle broke out and the man pepper-sprayed the male officer.

He then snatched the female officer's handgun and used her as a human shield, pointing the gun at her head as he went back to his car.

A police spokesman said the male officer fired some shots at the offender's car, hitting a back tyre.

The female officer was released and the man and woman raced away from the scene in their car.

A 12-year-old witness, James, saw the fight break out on his stepmother's front lawn and after seeing the officer pepper-sprayed, raced inside to call police. While on the phone, he heard gunshots.

"I was just shocked," he said. "He (the police officer) was lying on the ground and he was moaning and he sounded like he was in a lot of pain."

James got a garden hose to help the officer rinse the spray from his eyes.

A 13-year-old girl walking with her two sisters to a park around the corner from the incident saw the gun lying on the ground where the man had thrown it.

"I saw a gun and I thought it was a toy," she said.

"So I flicked the trigger and it just went bang - they (her sisters) screamed. My ears are still ringing.

"I still had the gun in my hand and I just bolted home." The girl's mother said she was in the shower when her daughter came in. "She gave me a gun," she said.

"I did not think it was real when I first saw it. But then I saw the bullets."
Old Oct 18th 2002, 6:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is Australia?

Originally posted by pommie bastard:
A 13-YEAR-OLD girl fired a police revolver she found lying in a Girrawheen street, after it was thrown out of a speeding car by an escaping offender yesterday afternoon.

snip...

"I did not think it was real when I first saw it. But then I saw the bullets."
I've travelled extensively & lived in the East End. The only place I've ever seen an illegal handgun is Perth.

If you're into drugs, then don't worry, Perth won't dissapoint.

It's still the best place in the world, not perfect, but the place I'm going to raise my 3 kids.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 6:54 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth:

I've travelled extensively & lived in the East End. The only place I've ever seen an illegal handgun is Perth.

If you're into drugs, then don't worry, Perth won't dissapoint.

It's still the best place in the world, not perfect, but the place I'm going to raise my 3 kids.
Drugs have to be cheaper than the ale here , got any ?
Old Oct 18th 2002, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Renth

What a w*****- he's back to his old cutting and pasting from the WA again. He must live such a boring life

BTW- send me your details if you are going to Perth for our spreadsheet [email protected]
Old Oct 18th 2002, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Kendoddsdadsdog is an unknown quantity at this point

I think PB's doing a great job - you've got to look at the
darker side as well as the good side. I had no idea what
scum existed in Australia till I lived there - and that's true
of most places. Check out the good news for anyone moving to Adelaide - Australia's City of Corpses:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial10/adelaide/index.htm

or Sydney

http://www.crimelibrary.com/classics5/cobby/

Sleep easy
Old Oct 18th 2002, 10:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grub:
Dear Renth

What a w*****- he's back to his old cutting and pasting from the WA again. He must live such a boring life

BTW- send me your details if you are going to Perth for our spreadsheet [email protected]
I'm already on your spreadsheet. Renth is my "nom de plume".
Old Oct 18th 2002, 10:07 am
(It's not my real name)

Beer in the pub is expensive isn't it? But to all readers who haven't had a chance to visit yet if you buy it from the bottle shop it's a lot cheaper, as is the wine.

Is anyone here into Pub TAB? that has to be the ultimate way of losing a lot of money - placing more and more bets the more drunk you get. I won a trifecta on the Melbourne Cup once, my best gambling fluke yet.

Some pubs have lunchtime strippers too.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Jake Semtex is an unknown quantity at this point

You clearly need drugs! Was that article from the west australian or the liverpool echo? What exactly is your point? Did you come here expecting some kind of utopia? Keep cutting and pasting as you clearly have no other life. Someone was caught shoplifting last week, shocker!, think I might post the article to everyone to show them how much better the UK is. Of course it's crime free there as everyone knows! Keep dreaming sad man.
Old Oct 18th 2002, 4:34 pm
UDS
Forum Regular

UDS is an unknown quantity at this point

For the record

- the Australian murder rate is higher than the UK murder rate, but

- the Australian rates for burglary, larceny, car theft and other crimes are lower than the UK rates for the same crimes.

I have no information on rates for non-fatal assaults.
Old Oct 19th 2002, 6:02 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by UDS:
For the record

- the Australian murder rate is higher than the UK murder rate, but

- the Australian rates for burglary, larceny, car theft and other crimes are lower than the UK rates for the same crimes.

I have no information on rates for non-fatal assaults.
Having spent a lot of time out and about in the UK and Australia my observation is that in the UK you are much more likely to be "picked" randomly either in a pub or on the street either for a mugging or a punch up.

I'll never forget walking home on Christmas Eve and some bloke I've never seen before crossing the road to punch my mate in the face for no reason. Merry Christmas.

Having said that I've seen more bar room brawls in 18 months in Australia than I have in a lifetime in the UK. These brawls are nearly always between known combatants. It's a lot earier to avoid a random "blue" in Australia.

Also in the UK people are more likely to use a broken glass or bottle or carry on kicking/punching once the opponent is down.

Sports related violence is nearly always on the pitch too. An exception is in Melbourne where there has been a bit of trouble with soccer violence, mainly with "fans" of Balkan origin.
Old Oct 19th 2002, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on it's basically same sh*t different place, wherever you go wherever you are there's a crim waiting to take advantage. You take a chance when you leave your home every day of your life. Don't let crime or crimanals rule the way you lead your lives.

Colin
Old Oct 21st 2002, 4:10 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth:

Beer in the pub is expensive isn't it? But to all readers who haven't had a chance to visit yet if you buy it from the bottle shop it's a lot cheaper, as is the wine.

Is anyone here into Pub TAB? that has to be the ultimate way of losing a lot of money - placing more and more bets the more drunk you get. I won a trifecta on the Melbourne Cup once, my best gambling fluke yet.

Some pubs have lunchtime strippers too.
You forgot to mention skimpys very nice young ladys in very little underware.Drink from bottle shops can be cheaper depending on what you buy,the boss at home has told me only to buy wine shes says drinking at home is anti-social ,wine is okay with meals .
The Pubs with Tabs are to be avoided not the best and getting a round in will skint you never mind betting.

Two dead, eight injured in university shooting

MELBOURNE

TWO people are dead and eight injured after a shooting at Monash University's Clayton campus in Melbourne's outer south-east today, police confirmed.

A person was in police custody, police said.

One man has been airlifted to The Alfred Hospital in inner-Melbourne in a critical condition.

Back onto subject .

Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:46 am
Banned

Originally posted by Jake Semtex:

You clearly need drugs! Was that article from the west australian or the liverpool echo? What exactly is your point? Did you come here expecting some kind of utopia? Keep cutting and pasting as you clearly have no other life. Someone was caught shoplifting last week, shocker!, think I might post the article to everyone to show them how much better the UK is. Of course it's crime free there as everyone knows! Keep dreaming sad man.

Have'nt you exploded yet?any country where guns are easy to get makes it very iffy . I did not expect utopia but thought that Australia was a little less crime ridden than it is .
Watching England v Brasil at the Old Bailey with 1500 others ,who should turn up than 12 or more police cadets with Brasil shirts on . God bless them started abusing anyone in England shirt , when that did not work begain throwing cans at people which did start a great brawl , giving these lads fire arms is very worrying.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

PB- whilst i aprecaite that you have your opinion on Australia i just think either i walked round with eye patches on and ear plugs or you have just been damn unlucky. I have spent a total of over 3 years in Australia and founf the people to be friendly and open. I never saw a fight, nor a firearm or heard of anyone i knew being attacked either verbally or physically. We even spent 2 months living on Darlinghurst Road in Sydney and never expereinced any violnce (drugs and prostitution though!)
I would ask all the people coming out to Australia to take what he says with a large pinch of salt. Listen instead to people like Just Arrived, Perth Helena, Jake as they seem to have embraced theri new life and can see all the good things about our new home. I am going out there for a better life for me and my family and i am sure that i will have that.

Cheers
Nicky
PS -it is 1 degrees here and grey and raining and soon we will be getting up in the dark again- come back PB- it really isnt as great as you think.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grub:
PB- whilst i aprecaite that you have your opinion on Australia i just think either i walked round with eye patches on and ear plugs or you have just been damn unlucky. I have spent a total of over 3 years in Australia and founf the people to be friendly and open. I never saw a fight, nor a firearm or heard of anyone i knew being attacked either verbally or physically. We even spent 2 months living on Darlinghurst Road in Sydney and never expereinced any violnce (drugs and prostitution though!)
I would ask all the people coming out to Australia to take what he says with a large pinch of salt. Listen instead to people like Just Arrived, Perth Helena, Jake as they seem to have embraced theri new life and can see all the good things about our new home. I am going out there for a better life for me and my family and i am sure that i will have that.

Cheers
Nicky
PS -it is 1 degrees here and grey and raining and soon we will be getting up in the dark again- come back PB- it really isnt as great as you think.
not whinging about UK vs Oz, but today at least two students were shot dead by a gunman in Monash University (Melbourne, Vic) - happened earlier today (monday 21st oct), havent seen news reports on it yet, so "unconfirmed" label goes next to it.

then there was the two vietnamese guys chased 400m through Melbourne CBD by 40 other vietnamese armed with kukri knives - one promptly hacked to death on the street, the other threw himself into the Yarra River to get away - and drowned.

also about 4 months ago, 4 streets away in sleepy old williamstown, a 23 year old sparky was stabbed in his bed, next to his wife, at 2am, by an assailant with a HOME MADE SAMURI SWORD !! Hasnt been caught (or so i am lead to believe - anyone in Melb capable of correcting me if wrong ?).

it happens EVERYWHERE. EVEN AUSTRALIA ! In every major city there is this kind of stuff - you just gotta be switched on and possess common sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.