Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

Old May 18th 2008, 5:30 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

We sold/got rid of most things in the UK, got about 30+ boxes coming next month - mainly kids stuff, ornaments, sentimental etc...
we came with about £8000, got another £2500 stuck in Uk tied up with car as it hasnt sold yet...(we were let down last minute by the 'friend' who was going to buy it, weve reduced it and its now sat on a garage forcourt - deal with owner togive us our cut n he keeps the rest he makes on it)

weve sorted so much out
schools - $250 so far for 2 lil uns - still havnt been given the price from the high school
plus uniforms, equipment, bags etc...
car - $900 its an old but fab lil car, drives like a go kart...came with 3mths rego, cost $135 to insure for a year. $45 to fill it up. this was the better option for us, we were going to hire one for a month and then look round, this one came up through a mate, its already paid for itself by lasting over the month and costing less than the rental...and we can teach the teenager/s to drive in it as its only a 1.6 im quite happy for them to use it, rather than a 7l beast!
furniture - some kind expats have given us a few bits = thank you guys...
we popped along to the lions club in eden hills due to a friends recommendation - got some excellent bits there,
( as we do buy bits in the future i will happily recycle our old bits back to them and would recommend that to anyone else to do too or to the salvation army shops)
we have bought quite a few bits new from various shops, with discounts!
i also went on a site called gumtree.au and bought some bits off there - classified ads basically.
i reckon weve furnished our house for around $4000 - we still need bits n bobs, but Rome wasnt built in a day and were quite happy to add as we go along, rather than spend spend spend now.

Also we have 4 kids, some of you may have read about the ones temper - we didnt feel the need to buy everything sparkly new as kids dont care how much things cost...and thats part of the fun in restarting you life over again.

koh started work after 2 weeks, so money is coming in, we dont have massively extravagant lives...who does??
Weve either paid deposits/bills up front/put the $'s away in preparation for them (gas/electric/phone/internet etc)
Weve also got $$$$'s saved in the bank should we need them - hoping we dont...and a day to day living account.

We saved up to come here so have grown quite used to living cheaply...and the best things here for us are free/cheap...
parks, beaches, hills/walks, bbq/picnics etc...and the kids happy faces.
Old May 18th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

plumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud of

You are so right you have got a visa the rest can follow thats all me and my family want at the moment we are all quite happy to make do i feel so much better reading your message just want to get out there now

sue
Old May 18th 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Pat14 is on a distinguished road

You are right i think, you dont have to take an absolute fortune with you(unless you have it of course) as long as you and your family are happy with your new new life style, i really like the sound of the beaches and bbqs and just to get the kids out of the house
Old May 20th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

We should have around £30k when we come and will be selling everything in the UK before we leave. Just bringing what we need and sentimental items. If we ship anything it will be small things just to save on cost.

Seems anything over £5k and people do fine.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by kjc79
sorry to butt in but could i just ask..... we have transferred monies over already but never been to australia b4.
it is just a deposit account until we arrive and activate it so will we be paying 45% on the interest since its been in there then? as we wont get a TFN till we arrive in June.

thanks
kath x
Banks automatically make that deduction if you have not TFN & have an australian address (as I had to open the account) if your address is UK the only deduction is 10%
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

janjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nicejanjanxx is just really nice

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
We came to Brissy with £10K and the clothes on our back!
We have since bought 2 cars, furnished a 5 bed house etc....etc....etc.....you certainly don't need a fortune!!!
The amount you have will be absolutely fine - in fact, you will be more than fine!
Hi,
Just wanted to find out what visa you went on?

How much is that in Australian Dollars? We are coming over from S Africa and are not sure how much we will need....

How long did your visa app take>
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
We sold/got rid of most things in the UK, got about 30+ boxes coming next month - mainly kids stuff, ornaments, sentimental etc...
we came with about £8000, got another £2500 stuck in Uk tied up with car as it hasnt sold yet...(we were let down last minute by the 'friend' who was going to buy it, weve reduced it and its now sat on a garage forcourt - deal with owner togive us our cut n he keeps the rest he makes on it)

weve sorted so much out
schools - $250 so far for 2 lil uns - still havnt been given the price from the high school
car - $900 its an old but fab lil car, drives like a go kart...came with 3mths rego, cost $135 to insure for a year. $45 to fill it up. this was the better option for us, we were going to hire one for a month and then look round, this one came up through a mate, its already paid for itself by lasting over the month and costing less than the rental...and we can teach the teenager/s to drive in it as its only a 1.6 im quite happy for them to use it, rather than a 7l beast!
we popped along to the lions club in eden hills due to a friends recommendation - got some excellent bits there,
( as we do buy bits in the future i will happily recycle our old bits back to them and would recommend that to anyone else to do too or to the salvation army shops)
i also went on a site called gumtree.au and bought some bits off there - classified ads basically.
i reckon weve furnished our house for around $4000 - we still need bits n bobs, but Rome wasnt built in a day and were quite happy to add as we go along, rather than spend spend spend now.

Also we have 4 kids, some of you may have read about the ones temper - we didnt feel the need to buy everything sparkly new as kids dont care how much things cost...and thats part of the fun in restarting you life over again.

koh started work after 2 weeks, so money is coming in, we dont have massively extravagant lives...who does??
Weve either paid deposits/bills up front/put the $'s away in preparation for them (gas/electric/phone/internet etc)
Weve also got $$$$'s saved in the bank should we need them - hoping we dont...and a day to day living account.

We saved up to come here so have grown quite used to living cheaply...and the best things here for us are free/cheap...

You have a great attitude, you will do well over there and you have given me faith in going over "again" with no capital.....as we have less than you

Well done to you.

LibbyX
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

sarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by katsmajic

weve sorted so much out

Delighted to read this, and like ur style!
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all

We thought it would be much cheaper to set up than it actually was we bought about 10k but ended up spending 7k on a decent car!!!!! The rent was $2700 just to move in. The school stuff was quite expensive too.

All in all about 12-15k i think we spent but that was doint most stuff, driving licences, phone, internet etc etc.

We bought 40ft container over with everything and thank god we did, it cost us 5k but worth it.
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:56 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
We came to Brissy with £10K and the clothes on our back!
We have since bought 2 cars, furnished a 5 bed house etc....etc....etc.....you certainly don't need a fortune!!!
The amount you have will be absolutely fine - in fact, you will be more than fine!
How long ago was that, if you don't mind me asking?

We came to Brissy with £100,00 and we spent about $50,000 on getting car, rental, furniture etc and then we sank another $180,000 as a deposit into our house build and we're still finding it marginally tough at the moment?

Cheers.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

we came here 2 1/2 years ago, we never took no furniture just 40 boxes of old crap now i look back..Spent probably about $30,000 buying furniture and sorting the kids for schools and more or less everything we did buy has had to be replaced cause it was sh*te, if i could do it all again i would of shipped all my furniture.
Suzanne