Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

Old May 15th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

strewth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

I'm planning to emigrate from Ireland to the central coast of NSW with my husband and baby daughter next year. We will be down one income when we live there beacuse I will be a stay at home mum for a few years (I work full time here in Ireland and am currently on maternity leave) until kid(s) start school. My hubby is a nurse and we will have savings of about AU $90K when we go. Do those of you who have been in a similar situation think this is enough to get ourselves established? I really want to go but my husband is worried about the financial implications. Any advice greatly received. Thanks.
Old May 15th 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: how much money did u need to get 'set up'?

Originally Posted by strewth
I'm planning to emigrate from Ireland to the central coast of NSW with my husband and baby daughter next year. We will be down one income when we live there beacuse I will be a stay at home mum for a few years (I work full time here in Ireland and am currently on maternity leave) until kid(s) start school. My hubby is a nurse and we will have savings of about AU $90K when we go. Do those of you who have been in a similar situation think this is enough to get ourselves established? I really want to go but my husband is worried about the financial implications. Any advice greatly received. Thanks.
Hard to say to be honest as everybody's circumstances are different and ours were very different from yours. We moved from Scotland to SA last May, both of us are working here but we didn't have as much money to bring with us, we had $20000. We also brought all our furniture with us and not sure if you are intending to do that as that would make a big difference. House prices are different everywhere and depends how much you would be looking to spend on buying a house or whether you intend to rent. We spent about 3500 pound shipping all our furniture and IMHO it was worth every penny as I feel that there is no way we could have spent the equivalent converted to furnish our house. Not sure if any of this helps, but I hope so.
Old May 15th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

lou_pete will become famous soon enough

Thats a really good question. We are moving to Melbourne at the end of the year, I am a nurse too, we have two kids aged 3 and 5. We had only planned to take around £10k with us! Now I think we may need much more. Sorry to have butted in.
Old May 15th 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

sarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lou_pete
Thats a really good question. We are moving to Melbourne at the end of the year, I am a nurse too, we have two kids aged 3 and 5. We had only planned to take around £10k with us! Now I think we may need much more. Sorry to have butted in.
We will be heading over with max of £10K... just means you start working sooner rather than later...
Old May 15th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sarskis
We will be heading over with max of £10K... just means you start working sooner rather than later...
I will be starting as soon as we get there, we just wanted to get enough to start renting. I'm over the moon we aren't the only ones going with around £10k. My hubby will get a job at some point, but we have to get the kids sorted too. He's a HGV driver here, but has to retest in oz, which costs quite a bit, plus I will be on shifts, which means we have to work around each other. Just hope it works.... we will just have to work like crazy!!
Old May 15th 2008, 1:41 pm
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

I've often thought about this too but I think the best way to look at it is if you have enough money here then you'll have enough money there, unless you are drastically changing your way of life. Your husband being a nurse is great I'm sure he will have no problem finding work and to make things more secure for yourselves why don't you try to get him a job before you leave? That would take a lot of the worry away I'm sure.

Good luck with your move, I'm a believer in if its meant to be its meant to be and it will work out
Old May 15th 2008, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Do you have little ones too? Sorry to be nosey, it just helps to get advice and tips of people in a similar situation. What type of work will you guys be doing in oz?
Old May 15th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

sarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant future

Do you have little ones too? Sorry to be nosey, it just helps to get advice and tips of people in a similar situation. What type of work will you guys be doing in oz?
We have a 6 year old - also we are actually planning on heading with €10K so it is a bit less than sterling amount and we will get a car out of that too. If you make the effort you will be fine although i am not sure how much the retraining is - I hope it is not a big chunk of that money. We plan on me working first, getting school and all settled and then after a very little bit we will both have to work... bummer! Everyone's situation is different, we are also keeping our credit cards which we hope to have cleared but they will be a good back up too just incase!
Old May 15th 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

We have a 6 year old - also we are actually planning on heading with €10K so it is a bit less than sterling amount and we will get a car out of that too. If you make the effort you will be fine although i am not sure how much the retraining is - I hope it is not a big chunk of that money. We plan on me working first, getting school and all settled and then after a very little bit we will both have to work... bummer! Everyone's situation is different, we are also keeping our credit cards which we hope to have cleared but they will be a good back up too just incase!
Are you taking all your furniture with you? We are planning on selling most of our stuff and restarting over. Do you think that might be a little hasty?
Old May 15th 2008, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Are you taking all your furniture with you? We are planning on selling most of our stuff and restarting over. Do you think that might be a little hasty?
I don't know anything about you at all so I can't say. What suits one doesn't suit another but for us, we are not taking any furniture or anything with us. We are just bringing what we need initially but I will be leaving a few small boxes with family to be posted over once we're settled - only extra clothes/special teddies/a few toys. We don't mind roughing it for a bit though. I started donating to Oxfam months ago and have been enjoying getting rid of mountains of crap we don't need anyway, I am down there all the time wtih bags of stuff! I hear nurses are in big demand there so you should have no trouble getting work - have you looked into this?
Old May 15th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know anything about you at all so I can't say. What suits one doesn't suit another but for us, we are not taking any furniture or anything with us. We are just bringing what we need initially but I will be leaving a few small boxes with family to be posted over once we're settled - only extra clothes/special teddies/a few toys. We don't mind roughing it for a bit though. I started donating to Oxfam months ago and have been enjoying getting rid of mountains of crap we don't need anyway, I am down there all the time wtih bags of stuff! I hear nurses are in big demand there so you should have no trouble getting work - have you looked into this?
Yeah, I'm with an agency at the moment, so they are guiding us through the whole process. It sounds like you are doing exactly what we are doing. We are only taking a few essentials and having some special bits sent later. I've got rid of so much stuff, its unbelievable. We sold a load of stuff on ebay too, that has been great coz we've just put the money into savings account. My hubby and me are both into bikes so we got a couple of those to get rid of and plenty of bike gear. I think by roughing it out will make you work harder and appreciate it much more, so that is our intention too. It's definately gonna be worth it.

When and where are you going?
Old May 15th 2008, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I'm with an agency at the moment, so they are guiding us through the whole process. It sounds like you are doing exactly what we are doing. We are only taking a few essentials and having some special bits sent later. I've got rid of so much stuff, its unbelievable. We sold a load of stuff on ebay too, that has been great coz we've just put the money into savings account. My hubby and me are both into bikes so we got a couple of those to get rid of and plenty of bike gear. I think by roughing it out will make you work harder and appreciate it much more, so that is our intention too. It's definately gonna be worth it.

When and where are you going?
I think so, its good for the soul! We plan on heading in September but it may be December - we won't know for a bit but we have to validate be 5th Feb so want to get over in plenty of time for school at the end of January anyway. We're going to Sydney and see how we go there. Where are you going?
Old May 15th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

I think so, its good for the soul! We plan on heading in September but it may be December - we won't know for a bit but we have to validate be 5th Feb so want to get over in plenty of time for school at the end of January anyway. We're going to Sydney and see how we go there. Where are you going?
We're off to Victoria, thats where i've just registered my nurse PIN. We chose there as its quite seasonal and i think we would be more suited. Well - thats what my OH said, but now he says he doesn't really mind where we go. It just couldn't get here quicker, if you ask me. I feel like things have stopped and the whole process is slowing down, but i'm sure it will pick up again. We hope to get out in time for the school year too, as My daughter, Libby, will be 6 in November. My son, Fred, will be 4 in October, so looks as though he will go to a nursery for a bit. Stay in touch to let me know how you're getting on.
Old May 15th 2008, 9:34 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

We came to Brissy with £10K and the clothes on our back!
We have since bought 2 cars, furnished a 5 bed house etc....etc....etc.....you certainly don't need a fortune!!!
The amount you have will be absolutely fine - in fact, you will be more than fine!

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; May 15th 2008 at 9:36 pm.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

We are taking nothing apart from 40k to 60k depends on house sell, 10k to furnish house car etc etc, the rest on a nice big fishing boat minus 7k for the wife plastic surgery so I can buy the boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.