Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Many Degrees Have U Got!!

How Many Degrees Have U Got!!

Old Nov 21st 2003, 10:45 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by OzTennis
Gee, I wish I'd done engineering (says he thinking of the Westgate Bridge which collapsed during construction killing nearly 30 people and my father was one of the first people there after it happened. Some engineer prescribed the wrong bolts you see).

OzTennis

As I said the thread started out as trying to give Mick re-assurance. I'm sure a lot of the posts have done that!
Probably the right bolts were prescribed but the wrong ones actually put in. A Professional Engineer would have prescribed the bolts and a "Work Experienced" construction worker put them in!

Old Nov 21st 2003, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
Probably the right bolts were prescribed but the wrong ones actually put in. A Professional Engineer would have prescribed the bolts and a "Work Experienced" construction worker put them in!

OzTennis
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser

That statement would go down well in a pub full of non uni tradesmen. My whole point of posting was to basically get advise on satisfying TRA. Overall I think I got it. The main objective,initially, is to get there then worry about it!!!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:29 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Mick
That statement would go down well in a pub full of non uni tradesmen. My whole point of posting was to basically get advise on satisfying TRA. Overall I think I got it. The main objective,initially, is to get there then worry about it!!!!
Have you thought about what you might want to do down under if you can't do anything with telecoms?

Retraining for another trade maybe? Whatddya fancy? Could be an ideal time for a fresh start.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Mick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Have you thought about what you might want to do down under if you can't do anything with telecoms?

Retraining for another trade maybe? Whatddya fancy? Could be an ideal time for a fresh start.
Me & the mrs will have to work out the finances if/when we get there. If she gets a job that covers the bills then yes that is a possibility.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:37 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Mick
Me & the mrs will have to work out the finances if/when we get there. If she gets a job that covers the bills then yes that is a possibility.
Thats similar to what our intentions are. Initially, we both plan to get work in (or try!) in our fields, her in finance, and me in geology. Once she is settled and we have some savings and maybe a deposit on a house sorted i am hoping to start up my own business. Once thats off the ground (all being well) Sus is going to try for work in psychology which is what she is trained in after all....

Complicated!!! but hopefully we'll get there in the end
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:22 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thats similar to what our intentions are. Initially, we both plan to get work in (or try!) in our fields, her in finance, and me in geology. Once she is settled and we have some savings and maybe a deposit on a house sorted i am hoping to start up my own business. Once thats off the ground (all being well) Sus is going to try for work in psychology which is what she is trained in after all....

Complicated!!! but hopefully we'll get there in the end
I possibly should start a new thread on this, but regardless I will progress.........cause this one seemed to ignite a few people

Who amongst us (and bugger degrees or not!) has actually come over and did the stacking shelves (if it was all we could get etc). For the sake of earning the money - do we not all value our 'trade' ...so how many are really willing to give it up and earning the 'living' wage to stay here?

So once we have the 'visa' what next, what if all those qualifcations mean bugger all????

Interested, in the coming to Aus response, cause there are only a few once here that actually post (and those that do are in their own trade) .

cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
Interested, in the coming to Aus response, cause there are only a few once here that actually post (and those that do are in their own trade) .

cheers
I assume the brothel hours are unsociable
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:29 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by Sandra
I possibly should start a new thread on this, but regardless I will progress.........cause this one seemed to ignite a few people

Who amongst us (and bugger degrees or not!) has actually come over and did the stacking shelves (if it was all we could get etc). For the sake of earning the money - do we not all value our 'trade' ...so how many are really willing to give it up and earning the 'living' wage to stay here?

So once we have the 'visa' what next, what if all those qualifcations mean bugger all????

cheers
I will most definatly be going for anything if i can't find somthing in my field. Probably give it 3 months of looking in geology, then.........what i will probably go for first, depending on whats in season, is a bit of fruit picking. Its good fun, and it you work hard you can actually bring in a fair bit of cash. I know my wife feels the same about doing anything. We are both young however...and hav'nt got particualarly established careers, so going to back to casual work will be no major worry to us. I'll do anything but work in an abatoir (sp?)

Pollys a good example, she just got work in a post sorting office, just for the cash. I beleive Dotty used to work in a pub too?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:32 pm
WBB

I will most definatly be going for anything if i can't find somthing in my field. Probably give it 3 months of looking in geology, then.........what i will probably go for first, depending on whats in season, is a bit of fruit picking. Its good fun, and it you work hard you can actually bring in a fair bit of cash. I know my wife feels the same about doing anything. We are both young however...and hav'nt got particualarly established careers, so going to back to casual work will be no major worry to us. I'll do anything but work in an abatoir (sp?)

Pollys a good example, she just got work in a post sorting office, just for the cash. I beleive Dotty used to work in a pub too?

that's the attitude pete, obviously we would all like to find somethng we usually do, but if not then casual or temporary work is a foot in the door.

also helks with the bills

Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:35 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
I am in between clients!

But seriously - what price qualifications when it comes to paying the mortgage?

I am all for qualifications, I like my doctor knowing his biz when looking at my bits, but we all value our own trade, but how many willing to step down and out and do something else?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:38 pm
WBB

but would you get job satisfaction?

if i was a woman it is defo something i would consider, lying on my back for a living, sounds ideal.

Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
but would you get job satisfaction?

if i was a woman it is defo something i would consider, lying on my back for a living, sounds ideal.

Joking aside - it's something I could or would never do.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:45 pm
Gone Senile Member

I wish you well in your field - and hope you both get jobs, and I hope you keep posting cause I enjoy them.

I worked on a food science course once for two years and did day release two days a weeks in different abbitoirs cause it was the only way I got paid - pigs, chickens and cows! Yuk.

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:48 pm
WBB

Joking aside - it's something I could or would never do.

never say never, my cousin is a pro and has just bought a brand spanking new bmw has no mortgage and a large pair of breasts all paid for in the space of 8 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.