Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Many Degrees Have U Got!!

How Many Degrees Have U Got!!

Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Left school with 3 CSE's, did no revision whatsoever ( stupid i know ), now work in the data comms engineer catagory ( also working with copper and fibre ) , hold NO qualifications in this field and have a C&G electrical installation 236 parts 1 & 2 ( senior apprentice ).

Moving to aus and hoping to carry on in the same line of work.
Have been told that an ACA ( Australian Cabling Association ) license is the preferred qualification and told to look into it upon arrival.

One thing I know is that I could fly the space shuttle, just haven't been shown how yet.If you have enough belief in yourself then anything is possible.

Good luck Mick

Paul.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:19 pm
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by vickymills
I didnt do a first degree but I just completed my MBA studying 3 nights at a week at uni after work in lectures til 10pm and about 30 hours a week homework on top of my 40 hour a week job.
I completed it in 2 years instead of 3.

I'm bloody proud I got it and it's in a big frame on my office wall.

I learnt a lot along the way too.

It's helped me in my job and is helping me get a job in Oz too.

But it's not for everyone, there's nothing wrong with not having a degree, having one doesnt make me better or worse than anyone else.

Having it up on the wall means all the egotistical sexist male managers that are at my work now treat me witha little more respect.

Go girl!! Good on ya!!

Carol

Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby has 2 degrees in completely different subjects. I haven't got a degree but guess who's occupation we got our visas on?

Claire
Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:35 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by vickymills
I didnt do a first degree but I just completed my MBA studying 3 nights at a week at uni after work in lectures til 10pm and about 30 hours a week homework on top of my 40 hour a week job.
I completed it in 2 years instead of 3.

I'm bloody proud I got it and it's in a big frame on my office wall.

I learnt a lot along the way too.

It's helped me in my job and is helping me get a job in Oz too.

But it's not for everyone, there's nothing wrong with not having a degree, having one doesnt make me better or worse than anyone else.

Having it up on the wall means all the egotistical sexist male managers that are at my work now treat me witha little more respect.

Well done and I think you will need your qualification here as most people I work with are undertaking part time study.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:36 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

No degrees just a handful of O levels, was very arty at school and wanted to go on and do A levels but bad situation at home so ended up leaving home at 17 and living in a bedsit had already met my hubby and he was a rock for me, but paying the bills was more important than college so I went out and got a job. Always wished Id got more qualifications though.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

It does help to have the degree in something 'relavant' to your occupation.

If you hve a degree in Knitting Studies and you want to go for a job as an industrial Chemist, it may not help too much...
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:19 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I suppose it all depends on the degree - I'd rather a doc had the relevant piece of paper but as mine was in Sociology it qualifies me for absolutely bugger all.

I worked flippin' hard for it though!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 10:41 pm

Originally posted by Pollster
I suppose it all depends on the degree - I'd rather a doc had the relevant piece of paper but as mine was in Sociology it qualifies me for absolutely bugger all.

I worked flippin' hard for it though!
A lot of jobs just have a requirment of a degree not matter what it is so it does give you more options.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

>>A lot of jobs just have a requirment of a degree not matter >>what it is so it does give you more options.

That is true, but for Visa requirements the degree you have must be 'relevant' to your Job offer.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Mick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Left school with 3 CSE's, did no revision whatsoever ( stupid i know ), now work in the data comms engineer catagory ( also working with copper and fibre ) , hold NO qualifications in this field and have a C&G electrical installation 236 parts 1 & 2 ( senior apprentice ).

Moving to aus and hoping to carry on in the same line of work.
Have been told that an ACA ( Australian Cabling Association ) license is the preferred qualification and told to look into it upon arrival.

One thing I know is that I could fly the space shuttle, just haven't been shown how yet.If you have enough belief in yourself then anything is possible.

Good luck Mick

Paul.
Looks like I opened a can or two of worms there!! Thanks for the advise everyone. Paul, I'll look into the ACA thing that seems like an avenue I could take. Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

No degrees in our household.

Degree? No degree? Personally, couldn't give a stuff.

Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

You don't need to get defensive because you don't have a degree!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Mick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
Been here 33 years. No degrees for hubby or myself. Neither of us ever been out of work. Hubby working full time in admin job and myself with 2 casual jobs, retail admin and waitressing at a friends restaurant. Both adult daughters never been out of work either and no degrees for them also.
One of my daughters works in the beautician industry and there seems to be plenty of work in that field in my local area. (sw Sydney)
Carol
can send you copy of local paper employment pages if you want.
Hi Carol, thanks for the offer of the local paper but we had our heart set on Bris. Your right about there being plenty of work for beauty therapists, we've seen it on some of the websites for job searches. Still I dont think the missus will let me sit on my backside while she's grafting all day!! Looks like litter patrol at Mc Donalds til something better turns up.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:27 am

Originally posted by DianeOZ
No degrees in our household.

Degree? No degree? Personally, couldn't give a stuff.

You may not give a stuff but I hope your attitude to a degree does not get in the way of Junior if he is academically inclined.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

DianOzJnr will be forced to leave school at 16 and join the Uni-Of life, as DianeOz 'doesn't give a stuff' about degrees and maybe education in general?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.