Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Many Degrees Have U Got!!

How Many Degrees Have U Got!!

Old Nov 20th 2003, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Many Degrees Have U Got!!

Seems like most of u guys have been to uni & have degrees coming out of your ears. I'm not well educated & am a mere British Telecom engineer and have found out that employment take up in this field is below average so will do any job if/when I get to Oz. Am at TRA stage at present but feel totally inadequate at the lack of qualifications.Will this affect any applications for jobs out there?? I've been told by my agent to go for Skilled Independant as i have 16 years work experience but this would count for nothing if theres no telecom work out there. Has anyone been in a similar situation but found work whatever. I know this probably sounds ridiculously naive but theres so much to think about perhaps i'm being to deep. For the record my wife is a Beauty Therapist & we have 3 kids aged 5,9 & 12. Any advise would be gratefully recieved :lecture:
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. Doesn't matter if they are called Mister or Sir. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

Dawn
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Dawn Adams
Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. Doesn't matter if they are called Mister or Sir. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

Dawn
but i've only got 1 leg
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Many Degrees Have U Got!!

Originally posted by Mick
Seems like most of u guys have been to uni & have degrees coming out of your ears. I'm not well educated & am a mere British Telecom engineer and have found out that employment take up in this field is below average so will do any job if/when I get to Oz. Am at TRA stage at present but feel totally inadequate at the lack of qualifications.Will this affect any applications for jobs out there?? I've been told by my agent to go for Skilled Independant as i have 16 years work experience but this would count for nothing if theres no telecom work out there. Has anyone been in a similar situation but found work whatever. I know this probably sounds ridiculously naive but theres so much to think about perhaps i'm being to deep. For the record my wife is a Beauty Therapist & we have 3 kids aged 5,9 & 12. Any advise would be gratefully recieved :lecture:
Mick

Don't worry too much about the degrees thing. You will find that Australia, like a lot of other countries, now has an oversupply of graduates in certain fields and a shortage of people in others. Australia also needs a balance in its migrant intake (can't have all graduates).

Have a look at this excellent link that Hidden Paw provided a few days ago. It will give you an idea of job prospects in both your fields and anything else you feel you could 'have a go' at. As far as your wife goes hairdressers appeared recently on the list of occupations Australia was giving preference to (IT dropped off) so I imagine it would be good prospects for beauty therapists.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx

Good luck with the application, stick with it, use your agent, do a search on the forum (try immigration as well) and ask questions like you are now. Fire back any other questions you might have and I'm sure others will pick up on the things I didn't or can't answer.

OzTennis
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by OzTennis
Mick

Don't worry too much about the degrees thing. You will find that Australia, like a lot of other countries, now has an oversupply of graduates in certain fields and a shortage of people in others. Australia also needs a balance in its migrant intake (can't have all graduates).

Have a look at this excellent link that Hidden Paw provided a few days ago. It will give you an idea of job prospects in both your fields and anything else you feel you could 'have a go' at. As far as your wife goes hairdressers appeared recently on the list of occupations Australia was giving preference to (IT dropped off) so I imagine it would be good prospects for beauty therapists.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx

Good luck with the application, stick with it, use your agent, do a search on the forum (try immigration as well) and ask questions like you are now. Fire back any other questions you might have and I'm sure others will pick up on the things I didn't or can't answer.

OzTennis
Thanks Oztennis thats a great site
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:37 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like most of u guys have been to uni & have degrees coming out of your ears.
Just remember, a graduate engineer is someone who can tell you the viscosity of the marmalade but is too stupid to get the lid off the jar.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
Just remember, a graduate engineer is someone who can tell you the viscosity of the marmalade but is too stupid to get the lid off the jar.

OzTennis

The engineer is a woman right.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:55 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi mick.

i haven't got one degree and i'm proud of it! I would never trade x years of real life work experience for a degree.

don't worry about it!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Miss M is an unknown quantity at this point

Any one any idea of coming over and getting a job as a singer, really don't want to give it up just yet! and whats the live band situ? Read somewhere that entertainers have good chances. My partner's Australian so looking into getting partner sponsership, unfortunately never took the degree option when I had the chance. If any one can shed any more light, much appreciated.

Old Nov 20th 2003, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I always reckon that an education to admire/respect would involve the ability to do something complex that would immediately show up a bluffer. I reckon BT Engineers fall WELL into that category.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 3:09 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry about not having a degree!!!!
Its your skills that are in demand....after all these guys who sit in offices with their degrees proudly framed behind their desks probably would have difficulty communicating if telecom engineers didnt come and sort out their communications!!!
Could say more, but am biting my tongue..........

Sue
Old Nov 20th 2003, 4:13 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by scutterUK
hi mick.

i haven't got one degree and i'm proud of it! I would never trade x years of real life work experience for a degree.

don't worry about it!
I would never trade 4 years of doing bugger all and getting pissed and getting a degree at the end of it for real life experience

Having said that, I wish I'd done a trade
Old Nov 20th 2003, 4:20 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I've got a degree and frankly it isn't worth the paper it is written on ( or the student loan I am still paying off!)

Where are you based, Mick? - and what sort of engineer?

(I do a bit of work for good old BT - mostly writing stories about how good you guys are!)
Old Nov 20th 2003, 4:31 pm
Badge

Default degrees

I scraped through my degree course, and all it is to me is a bit of paper that gets me through the first interview if they need a "graduate".

Years before I got it, I did far more important things that I really wanted to do.

I never even turned up for my ceremony - what a load of bollocks!

My degree cert is all torn and crumped from being carried around on location. Couldn't give a stuff. Those people that advertise their degree make me laugh. Its all in a day's work as far as I'm concerned. I passed whole courses by borrowing someone's notes a week before the exam, studying the night before.

Meanwhile I was out riding, playing sport, training.

bloody hell.

Badge

Old Nov 20th 2003, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Pollster
I've got a degree and frankly it isn't worth the paper it is written on ( or the student loan I am still paying off!)

Where are you based, Mick? - and what sort of engineer?

(I do a bit of work for good old BT - mostly writing stories about how good you guys are!)
Pollster,I'm based at Tufnell Park in north London and am a gang leader on the fibre optic cable gang although i've just about done everything on the engieering side be it copper or fibre.Have asked my manager to see if he could gather together all my training certificates but no one on BT can locate them............watch this space:scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.