Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many Australian friends have you?

How many Australian friends have you?

Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:49 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: How many Australian friends have you?

Originally Posted by welsh1
I am Tony Davies of 'A new Life down under' the BBQ was put on for our Welsh friends who had helped us settle in Patterson Lakes also invited were some of the Aussie neighbours, although its been pretty good for us here we have been subjected to racist taunts from our next door neighbours such as "go home no one wants you here" and my wife gets regular comments shouted at her whilst entering or leaving the house, one notable comment was "british bitch" also my daughter was singled out in school the first day with similar comments, luckily the school situation has been resolved but not so with our next door neighbours but never mind we are moving soon. I must say that these are the only times this has happened to us,the rest of the time it is perfect here.
I'm surprised at that! I've been in Aus for around seven years.. never have I had racist comments. Most people here love the Welsh, Scot's and Irish.. it's the English in my works that get the taunts .. i.e. Pommie git etc ( all in good humour though!)

Perhaps your neighbour (s) is just a" bad one"
It maybe something to do with you being on Tv.. maybe jealousy. Never seen the programme myself.. has it been on Tv here in Aus? What state do you live? You haven't got your location under your name. I have never encountered anything like that here in Aus .. I've lived here in Brisbane for the past 6 years.. and NSW ( Newcastle way) for over a year.

The only time I have really encountered any sort of problem was years ago when we put in an offer on a house.. the estate agent said to the bloke .."I have a Welsh couple who really interested in buying it" .. the old bloke turned around and said to the estate agent " I'm not f..ing selling to any foreigners". Apparently this old bloke was a right weirdo.. didn't sell it in the end.. he took it off the market.

I'd say it was your neighbourhood.. a few bad apples, you get weird people everywhere.. anyway good luck. Not all places are like this. I've never personally encountered any problem like yours in my time here... I think you and your family have been unlucky with your neighbours/neighbourhood
Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'd reckon the split of people we know would be about 50/50 in terms of aussies/expats. We seem to be sharing strife and challenges with the expats that draw us insticntively together. This is something we strived hard not to do, for the simple reason that expats seem to be more transcient. We had enough of getting really friendly with people only for them to go back to the UK when we lived in Singapore.
We became really good friends with an aussie family who then upped sticks and went interstate. the wife was really upset by this.

can't really relate to the welsh fella getting all that abuse - I've never been lambasted on account of my moral and cultural superiority by the local peasants..or not that I've noticed anyway. Have I missed something?
Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

welsh1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ceri
I'm surprised at that! I've been in Aus for around seven years.. never have I had racist comments. Most people here love the Welsh, Scot's and Irish.. it's the English in my works that get the taunts .. i.e. Pommie git etc ( all in good humour though!)

Perhaps your neighbour (s) is just a" bad one"
It maybe something to do with you being on Tv.. maybe jealousy. Never seen the programme myself.. has it been on Tv here in Aus? What state do you live? You haven't got your location under your name. I have never encountered anything like that here in Aus .. I've lived here in Brisbane for the past 6 years.. and NSW ( Newcastle way) for over a year.

The only time I have really encountered any sort of problem was years ago when we put in an offer on a house.. the estate agent said to the bloke .."I have a Welsh couple who really interested in buying it" .. the old bloke turned around and said to the estate agent " I'm not f..ing selling to any foreigners". Apparently this old bloke was a right weirdo.. didn't sell it in the end.. he took it off the market.

I'd say it was your neighbourhood.. a few bad apples, you get weird people everywhere.. anyway good luck. Not all places are like this. I've never personally encountered any problem like yours in my time here... I think you and your family have been unlucky with your neighbours/neighbourhood
The tv series was on the ABC December through January monday's to thursday's. I think we have just been very unlucky with our neighbours we have not encounted this any where else.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:39 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RichS

can't really relate to the welsh fella getting all that abuse - I've never been lambasted on account of my moral and cultural superiority by the local peasants..or not that I've noticed anyway. Have I missed something?
watch it Richs.. Lol.. I have named one of my wallabies (that comes into our garden each night ) recently lol

I'm also finding it funny this Karma thing . People running around in circles. "you give me karma ( read the lounge and the feedback forum).. and I'll give you some" ( it takes me back to my infancy school days.. ohh a gold star) .. Don't these people realise if they all are distinguished.. the undistinguished one is actually the distinguished one among the hordes..lol.

All very amusing .. but there again I find most people odd

.................................................. .........................................

I've never seen it Welsh1 . I do think you're unlucky that's all. It sounds like a bad neighbour (s). You could get the same in the UK too, anywhere in the world . It sounds like a weird neighbour

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 11th 2004 at 4:52 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ceri - are you saying that there's a wabbly out there with my name on it?

btw

Can you explain in a nutshell what all this karma and reputation stuff is about and where u see it. Looks like baloney for sad folk to me ... unless of course u know different.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:20 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by RichS
Ceri - are you saying that there's a wabbly out there with my name on it?

btw

Can you explain in a nutshell what all this karma and reputation stuff is about and where u see it. Looks like baloney for sad folk to me ... unless of course u know different.
No.. it was in relation to what you said about someone else.. I'm not even going to say it lol. But I found it all very funny ..lol ( but that person didn't). Better forget it. .. or people will start "cobbing" ( sulking).

Karma.. haven't got a clue.. it looks like you press a button and give someone a good comment ( you scratch my back I'll scratch yours) .. and you get extra blue boxes lol .I wonder what "bright spark" thought that one up.. can I be the first person to say (?) I think it's a cr*p idea. seems very immature to me.. but it seems to keep the masses amused.

P.s

That little box/square shape below your name.. hover over it. people like me are an unknown quality... and I want to stay that way!.. thank you very much. You can press on the box "karma" to give another poster a good mark.. add to karma or something... to put them on the road to "glory" lol... and then they will not be an unknown quility..LOL

I find it all odd/funny.. if I were a psychologist I'd say the people who want this karma marks are very self conscious.. want to be loved by all and one ... I think something happened in their childhood you know..." lie down on the couch".. or they've been on the P8ss

I find it so odd.. can't work out why people are so worried about getting "points" .. weird.. but there is sort of exchange going on in the lounge started by Don ..lol

don't ask me.. it's all very weird/odd

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 11th 2004 at 5:46 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

what a bag of spanners that all sounds
Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

How many australian friends do I have?

About 6 real good ones: 4 of them live in the Gold Coast (which I left in December 03) and 2 of them live in Sydney. I can say that they are my best friends and that its pretty hard since they live on the other side of the world - I am still in switzerland! I have known most of them for over 6 years now and we are in touch on a regular basis (phone and email).

Some people say ozzies are easy to become friends with but a long-lasting friendship doesn't usually happen. Well it happened to me !

Take care you all!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ladies and Gentlemen
Thank you all for your replies, I think some of you have pehaps not read the first posting on this issue though.

The reason I originally posted was that after we had watched the program on Channel 4. We were a little bit disturbed to find that there was no mention of Mr Davies Australian neighbours being invited to his BBQ (by the way this was in no way meant to offend Mr Davies and I appreciate his posting).

Both myself and Andrea are looking forward to meeting all sorts of people from all walks of life, when and if we ever get to Melbourne. What we didn't want to find when we got there is 'The British mentality' for all things British!!!! Examples are:-

Our holiday in Turkey was great, we had fish and chips from 'Harry Ramsdens'
I had a pint of Tetleys in Majorca, while we watched Eastenders and would you believe in a pub called the Rose and Crown, the afore mentioned pub was in the 'Spanish Square' Santa Ponsa. Really srtrange not a Spaniard in sight!!!!
All very fine if thats what floats your boat but to travel to the other side of the world to do what we do at home!!! Why bother?

I actually think it is wrong of Channel 4 not to even mention the fact that Welsh1 invited Australian friends to his Barby, and that they concentrated more on the Welsh neighbours he had. As though come down under and lead the life that you always have!!!!

When we visited last year we met some wonderful people,Australian born and bred, Italians, Welsh and Scottish I nearly got into a fight with an Abbo (All i asked for was a bottle of water as he staggered about at the bar, all power for the cause).
I didn't see the typical british pub and wouldn't want too. I did see the typical Australian and what I saw I liked. Yes some of them are not on the same wave-length when it comes to sense of humour.
Most had a warm welcome and something to chat about so we are hoping that we will make lots of new friends from all parts of the world including Wales...
Good luck to all that are trying
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Aug 12th 2004, 4:00 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume we're discounting the ones on Ramsay Street?
Old Aug 12th 2004, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Handyandy180
Ladies and Gentlemen
Thank you all for your replies, I think some of you have pehaps not read the first posting on this issue though.

The reason I originally posted was that after we had watched the program on Channel 4. We were a little bit disturbed to find that there was no mention of Mr Davies Australian neighbours being invited to his BBQ (by the way this was in no way meant to offend Mr Davies and I appreciate his posting).

Both myself and Andrea are looking forward to meeting all sorts of people from all walks of life, when and if we ever get to Melbourne. What we didn't want to find when we got there is 'The British mentality' for all things British!!!! Examples are:-

Our holiday in Turkey was great, we had fish and chips from 'Harry Ramsdens'
I had a pint of Tetleys in Majorca, while we watched Eastenders and would you believe in a pub called the Rose and Crown, the afore mentioned pub was in the 'Spanish Square' Santa Ponsa. Really srtrange not a Spaniard in sight!!!!
All very fine if thats what floats your boat but to travel to the other side of the world to do what we do at home!!! Why bother?

I actually think it is wrong of Channel 4 not to even mention the fact that Welsh1 invited Australian friends to his Barby, and that they concentrated more on the Welsh neighbours he had. As though come down under and lead the life that you always have!!!!

When we visited last year we met some wonderful people,Australian born and bred, Italians, Welsh and Scottish I nearly got into a fight with an Abbo (All i asked for was a bottle of water as he staggered about at the bar, all power for the cause).
I didn't see the typical british pub and wouldn't want too. I did see the typical Australian and what I saw I liked. Yes some of them are not on the same wave-length when it comes to sense of humour.
Most had a warm welcome and something to chat about so we are hoping that we will make lots of new friends from all parts of the world including Wales...
Regards Chris and Andrea

Hi Chris and Andrea,

Have had a read of this post and I agree with you totally on this. I mean why travel 10,000km+ to here and end up mingling and drinking with a butch of brits and experience their humour!.
For we, and we were talking tonite about this very subject, have concluded that we will not be living(buying a house)in a densely populated Brit expat community. It defeats the purpose a wee bit. I prefer to be meeting Australians and learning and adopting there ways of life ...

We, here in perth have met loads of brits and only know a handful of Aussies of which one is really a good friend. We have only been here 5 months, and have no desire to meet Brits.
We would prefer to meet Aussie, and regardless of their "different"!!!! sense of humour, we think there great.

ps IMO, At first they may not, but over time they will start to apprecaite your humour and accent.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Hi Chris and Andrea,

Have had a read of this post and I agree with you totally on this. I mean why travel 10,000km+ to here and end up mingling and drinking with a butch of brits and experience their humour!.
For we, and we were talking tonite about this very subject, have concluded that we will not be living(buying a house)in a densely populated Brit expat community. It defeats the purpose a wee bit. I prefer to be meeting Australians and learning and adopting there ways of life ...

We, here in perth have met loads of brits and only know a handful of Aussies of which one is really a good friend. We have only been here 5 months, and have no desire to meet Brits.
We would prefer to meet Aussie, and regardless of their "different"!!!! sense of humour, we think there great.

ps IMO, At first they may not, but over time they will start to apprecaite your humour and accent.

What difference does it make where your friends come from? What a daft analogy!! I have always picked my friends because i like their personality, have things in common and enjoy being with them. I dont see why i should force myself to mix (or not mix) with ANYONE just because of their nationality. How ridiculous!! Most of my friends here so far are British, only because thats mainly all i have had the chance to be with in the short time i have been here. Since starting college i have made friends with one German and two Aussies. I am not going to include or exclude anyone because of their roots. If all i end up with is British mates so what!! Someone said earlier in this thread... "what is an Aussie?" this is a good point. There a few living here that actually ARE true Aussies. Nearly everyone living here is or was descended from foreign stock.
I sat next to a woman in class yesterday who would be thought of as a true Aussie, and after a few minutes of conversation we discovered that her rellies came from Pinner...the very same village just outside London where i was born!!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

What a can of worms i seem to have opened. I am all for a debate on the subject and realise that we all have different opinions.
Having said that lets not get bitchy about this.
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by podgypossum
What difference does it make where your friends come from? What a daft analogy!! I have always picked my friends because i like their personality, have things in common and enjoy being with them. I dont see why i should force myself to mix (or not mix) with ANYONE just because of their nationality. How ridiculous!! Most of my friends here so far are British, only because thats mainly all i have had the chance to be with in the short time i have been here. Since starting college i have made friends with one German and two Aussies. I am not going to include or exclude anyone because of their roots. If all i end up with is British mates so what!! Someone said earlier in this thread... "what is an Aussie?" this is a good point. There a few living here that actually ARE true Aussies. Nearly everyone living here is or was descended from foreign stock.
I sat next to a woman in class yesterday who would be thought of as a true Aussie, and after a few minutes of conversation we discovered that her rellies came from Pinner...the very same village just outside London where i was born!!

Dont think you got my point of view, did u?

I think Aussies are great...aussies who have lived here most of their lives.
No forcing an issue on our patch.
And whats wrong with meeting, say meeting, different nationalities....nothing, i was only giving my opinion of the subject anyway!!!

Your circumstances, my circumstances.....totally different. Take each day as it comes and let friendship grow.
Each to their own.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Dont think you got my point of view, did u?

I think Aussies are great...aussies who have lived here most of their lives.
No forcing an issue on our patch.
And whats wrong with meeting, say meeting, different nationalities....nothing, i was only giving my opinion of the subject anyway!!!

Your circumstances, my circumstances.....totally different. Take each day as it comes and let friendship grow.
Each to their own.

I was not directly aiming my post at you, i just clicked to make a post and it automatically included your post into it. (not got my head around this new set up yet)...

and i'm certainly not being bitchy with anyone HandyAndy!! just giving my opinion on it like everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.