Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many Australian friends have you?

Wikiposts

How many Australian friends have you?

Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many Australian friends have you?

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I was not directly aiming my post at you, i just clicked to make a post and it automatically included your post into it. (not got my head around this new set up yet)...

and i'm certainly not being bitchy with anyone HandyAndy!! just giving my opinion on it like everyone else.
I was not calling names and definitely not singling you out honest and hope that i haven't offended? In fact i hope that nobody is offended by me using that terminology. If you are I apologise.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Handyandy180
I was not calling names and definitely not singling you out honest and hope that i haven't offended? In fact i hope that nobody is offended by me using that terminology. If you are I apologise.

No worries..i am not offended, just wanted to clarify that i dont "do bitchy" not my nature.
Once again the confusion of the written word. Often people misunderstand or interpet what was said differently to how it was meant to come across.
It can be quite amusing at times
Old Aug 12th 2004, 5:54 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
What difference does it make where your friends come from? What a daft analogy!! I have always picked my friends because i like their personality, have things in common and enjoy being with them. I dont see why i should force myself to mix (or not mix) with ANYONE just because of their nationality. How ridiculous!! Most of my friends here so far are British, only because thats mainly all i have had the chance to be with in the short time i have been here. Since starting college i have made friends with one German and two Aussies. I am not going to include or exclude anyone because of their roots. If all i end up with is British mates so what!! Someone said earlier in this thread... "what is an Aussie?" this is a good point. There a few living here that actually ARE true Aussies. Nearly everyone living here is or was descended from foreign stock.
I sat next to a woman in class yesterday who would be thought of as a true Aussie, and after a few minutes of conversation we discovered that her rellies came from Pinner...the very same village just outside London where i was born!!
So very true PP.

If you look only at bloodlines I'm a true blue aussie (I'm the 6th generation of my family to be born here since the 1820's) yet I speak with a scottish accent and havent lived here for 24 years.

So Muzza, wanna meet a REAL aussie or dont I count ???

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Aug 12th 2004 at 6:01 am. Reason: spelling errors
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
So very true PP.

If you look only at bloodlines I'm a true blue aussie (I'm the 6th generation of my family to be born here since the 1820's) yet I speak with a scottish accent and havent lived here for 24 years.

So Muzza, wanna meet a REAL aussie or dont I count ???
Sure hen, I wanna meet a REAL aussie. and with a scots accent, that's even better, then I can understand what there saying too

IMO, I would classify a real aussie as someone born here or brought here at a very young age and brought up in the australian way of life.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Sure hen, I wanna meet a REAL aussie. and with a scots accent, that's even better, then I can understand what there saying too

IMO, I would classify a real aussie as someone born here or brought here at a very young age and brought up in the australian way of life.
I'm sure most of the 25% of Australians not born in Australia would disagree with you. Our best friends have been here 15 years, never been back to the UK. You wouldn't want to make the mistake of suggesting they're not Australians.

British Australians, but Australians none the less.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:20 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by Muzza04
I mean why travel 10,000km+ to here and end up mingling and drinking with a butch of brits and experience their humour!.

For we, and we were talking tonite about this very subject, have concluded that we will not be living(buying a house)in a densely populated Brit expat community. It defeats the purpose a wee bit. I prefer to be meeting Australians and learning and adopting there ways of life ...
Did you make this decision after attending a Poms In Perth meeting?

http://www.pomsinperth.com/discussio...er=asc&start=0

Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owieb

Nice one owieb
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:30 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Handyandy180
Ladies and Gentlemen
Our holiday in Turkey was great, we had fish and chips from 'Harry Ramsdens'
I had a pint of Tetleys in Majorca, while we watched Eastenders and would you believe in a pub called the Rose and Crown, the afore mentioned pub was in the 'Spanish Square' Santa Ponsa. Really srtrange not a Spaniard in sight!!!!
All very fine if thats what floats your boat but to travel to the other side of the world to do what we do at home!!! Why bother?
Sounds like Joondalup, or the Moon and Sixpence in Woodvale (where you can get Double Diamond).
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Yep

Met a few poms.. and a few aussies too.

Cant get away from em, can you, there everywhere here in Perth
Old Aug 12th 2004, 1:56 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
I'm sure most of the 25% of Australians not born in Australia would disagree with you. Our best friends have been here 15 years, never been back to the UK. You wouldn't want to make the mistake of suggesting they're not Australians.

British Australians, but Australians none the less.
I think that sometimes it's a state of mind. I have a friend who was brought here as a very young child ( a baby) . He's in his late 30's. He speaks with a rife old Aussie accent, he was brought up here, educated here etc etc .. he to my mind is an "Aussie" before a Brit .

He was born in England, although you'd never guess it as his accent and way of speaking is totally Australian of course. He calls himself a Pom! I tell him he is not a pom ( love to wind him up) ... and he will argue blue and say " I am not an Aussie ***er. I'm a Pom/English" (which is funny when he says it in his Aussie accent!lol very mixed up he is ..lol) .

He's never been to the UK, he can't remember being in the UK as a young baby.. the Uk is foreign to him ... and yet he considers himself English and not Australian believe it or not. He actually wants to go and live in England

Maybe he has this state of mind from his parents (both English) and they brought him up telling him he is English first and foremost. You will also see this from some ethnics from Asia here too

Anyway I do think it really is a state of mind with certain individuals. Nothing is black and white, and cut and dry.

I can never be Australian even if I lived here until I were a thousand years old. Although technically I am a Brit and am Australian citizen by law. . The Australian citizen- it's just a bit of paper to me... meaningless.

cheers
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:34 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by Ceri
The Australian citizen- it's just a bit of paper to me... meaningless.
Bet that went down well at your citizenship ceremony!

Old Aug 12th 2004, 3:05 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Bet that went down well at your citizenship ceremony!
You think I'm bad... you haven't met my hubby....

citizenship ceremony he wore his welsh rugby jersey.,..LOL... I said you can't wear that to the ceremony.. "I'm not going if I can't wear it".

You collect your certificates off the mayor.. shake her hand and all the rubbish. She says to my hubby do you play rugby for Wales..lol

We had an English couple sitting next to us.. the man was looking a bit uncomfortable in his suit.. and was grinning like hell at my hubby with his rugby jersey. He turned round to his wife.. see that bloke there has his welsh colours on, I could have worn my English shirt ( poor man.. his wife must have made him wear a suit) .. henpecked.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

1 ozzie m8 but all the rest english

strange the way it is, dont mean to only be friends with pomme's but .......
emmmmmmm ??

dont know
Old Aug 12th 2004, 3:37 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bussie
1 ozzie m8 but all the rest english

strange the way it is, dont mean to only be friends with pomme's but .......
emmmmmmm ??

dont know

I know, I'm going out on Monday with a pom (Swiss Tony from here), just spoke to him on the phone, nice to hear a friendly accent Having said that I'm also going diving on Thursday so will probably spend the whole day with aussies then (and quite happy to do so)
Old Aug 12th 2004, 3:46 pm
owieb

Originally Posted by Ceri
You think I'm bad... you haven't met my hubby....

citizenship ceremony he wore his welsh rugby jersey.,..LOL... I said you can't wear that to the ceremony.. "I'm not going if I can't wear it".

You collect your certificates off the mayor.. shake her hand and all the rubbish. She says to my hubby do you play rugby for Wales..lol

We had an English couple sitting next to us.. the man was looking a bit uncomfortable in his suit.. and was grinning like hell at my hubby with his rugby jersey. He turned round to his wife.. see that bloke there has his welsh colours on, I could have worn my English shirt ( poor man.. his wife must have made him wear a suit) .. henpecked.
Top Stuff!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.