Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many Australian friends have you?

Wikiposts

How many Australian friends have you?

Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: How many Australian friends have you?

Hi Pheonix...i'm good thanx. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new life. I also agree with your point about adopting to your new country. I also used to get angry with those in UK who came to live there and do not wish to integrate or give anything back to their new homeland. The same applies for those of us who have come here. But integrating into your new country does not mean you should shun help and support from fellow Brits because you feel you cant fit into Australian society or think its not the right thing to do. In my opinion, those who do this cut off their nose to spite hteir face. As most of us who have already made the big leap and emmigrated, we know how lonely and difficult it is to settle into a new life. Whilst mixing with Aussies and getting to know them is a great thing to do and i highly reccomend it, we also need ot have people in our lives who can empathise with how we feel and understand the issues we might have. The same goes for new immigrants to UK. Although we may sympathise and offer the hand of freindship to those who go there, we cannot empathise because we have no knowledge or first hand experience of their former culture, background and the specific problems they may face adapting to a new life, and its exactly the same for a pom landing in Aus with all the new systems within this society and the subtle cutual differences we will face when we arrive. That is why it is great to meet and make friends with other Brits who have been here a while. It doesnt mean we shun Aussies though. I think (as in most things) moderation and balance is the key.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:42 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Hi Pheonix...i'm good thanx. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new life. I also agree with your point about adopting to your new country. I also used to get angry with those in UK who came to live there and do not wish to integrate or give anything back to their new homeland. The same applies for those of us who have come here. But integrating into your new country does not mean you should shun help and support from fellow Brits because you feel you cant fit into Australian society or think its not the right thing to do. In my opinion, those who do this cut off their nose to spite hteir face. As most of us who have already made the big leap and emmigrated, we know how lonely and difficult it is to settle into a new life. Whilst mixing with Aussies and getting to know them is a great thing to do and i highly reccomend it, we also need ot have people in our lives who can empathise with how we feel and understand the issues we might have. The same goes for new immigrants to UK. Although we may sympathise and offer the hand of freindship to those who go there, we cannot empathise because we have no knowledge or first hand experience of their former culture, background and the specific problems they may face adapting to a new life, and its exactly the same for a pom landing in Aus with all the new systems within this society and the subtle cutual differences we will face when we arrive. That is why it is great to meet and make friends with other Brits who have been here a while. It doesnt mean we shun Aussies though. I think (as in most things) moderation and balance is the key.
Hi PP

I agree 100% with what you say above.

My view, like yours is that it doesn't matter whether someone is an Aussie, is British, is Asian is black, is white....blah, blah.

It is more important to chose friends cos of their values in life, that one has something in common. It matters not what colour, creed or religion. Tis more important that we share basic values and are there in times of need

BTW: Good to see you back on the forum. Missed ya

Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by loose

I know where you're coming from re your Welshness. I'll always be a Tyke. I think the secret is to live and let live, be proud of where you're from, but not have a problem with others being proud of their roots. I'm a simple creature!
Completely agree, you can be proud of yourself and your own background without putting other people down. And I don't think you'll get much respect from Aussies (or anyone else) if you can't wait to badmouth your own country.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Hi - I'm new to this forum...and what a long thread this is. Anyway, we've also just emigrated to Australia and have landed in Sydney. Love it. However, haven't met any Brits yet and are steadily meeting a variety of local Aussies. I just know it takes a long time to make good friends wherever you live. Wish me luck

I do love the Brit sense of humour though - I went to see Lenny Henry at the State Theatre for my fix and sometimes look at The Office (for cringe humour - sorry, getting off the point here!).