Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 months

View Poll Results: How long did it take you to find employment?
Had a job lined up before I left
18.75%
Had a job within 4 weeks
20.83%
Had a job within 8 weeks
25.00%
Had a job within 12 weeks
2.08%
Been her more than 12 weeks and still looking
33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 months

Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo

Just out of the bracket as we arrived 7 months ago, but had a 3 month temp role starting 5 weeks after we landed (2 weeks after I started looking) that took me to Christmas. Started a week earlier than I wanted, but figured it would get me local experience so don't look a gift horse in the mouth! Went for 2 perm interviews while I was in that role, was offered and accepted the second and started first week of Jan.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long did it take you to find employment?

Originally Posted by dogscogs
There's a Centrelink at Palm Beach? :-)

Anyway, we arrived 6 and a bit months ago, I managed to find a job within a week of looking. However, I doubt I would have that kind of luck now... there are still jobs around but much thinner on the ground now.

Best of luck to the OP!
Cheers
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo

I had a job before we arrived but it has taken my OH 5 months. He starts tomorrow! Unfortunately, it has meant that he is having to move to Townsville but we are going to see how it all works. The chance of getting the all-important Aus experience cannot be missed!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:21 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I had a job before we arrived but it has taken my OH 5 months. He starts tomorrow! Unfortunately, it has meant that he is having to move to Townsville but we are going to see how it all works. The chance of getting the all-important Aus experience cannot be missed!
Well done to your hubby!

How far is Townsville away from you?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Well done to your hubby!

How far is Townsville away from you?
350km/4-41/2 hr drive
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:47 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
350km/4-41/2 hr drive
Ouch. Still, as you say - it's local experience.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
Ouch. Still, as you say - it's local experience.
Not quite local enough but thems the breaks!