Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 months

View Poll Results: How long did it take you to find employment?
Had a job lined up before I left
18.75%
Had a job within 4 weeks
20.83%
Had a job within 8 weeks
25.00%
Had a job within 12 weeks
2.08%
Been her more than 12 weeks and still looking
33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 months

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 months

I have read so many doom and gloom posts about unemployment recently that I thought I'd do a poll to see just how bad the situation is. Please only answer if you have been in Oz for SIX months or less!

Last edited by GillyG; Apr 23rd 2009 at 1:28 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:43 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to find employment?

Where are the day options?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Where are the day options?
That would come under the 4 weeks or less option!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I arrive just over 6 months ago and it took me 4 months before I started work. However, I turned down 3 jobs. A friend of mine flew back to the UK because he couldnt find work after 6 months. I know others still looking.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:50 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo

I had a Job in 4 months , no option there for us
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:19 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I arrive just over 6 months ago and it took me 4 months before I started work. However, I turned down 3 jobs. A friend of mine flew back to the UK because he couldnt find work after 6 months. I know others still looking.
ring up oss world wide movers.....Business is booming. They inquired at Palm Beach Centrelink for extra staff (PACKERS) and were provided with 22 extra staff, why?

OSS relocation consultant explained that so many Brits were returning she could not guarantee collection and shipping dates, so she needed to expand her staff.

They are so confident in business terms concerning the mass exodus of so many brits that they are promoting half a container each for two brits at $5k.

Most brits are returning for personal reasons, they feel isolated during tough job searches and are very concerned about monetary funds dwindling away, and need the security of family and friends during a very stressful time. I see a lot of worried brits who can’t get any benefits during 1st two years and have limited funds.

Most are telling us that they have to go back to UK even though they no its worse than Australia, they just cannot ride out a worsening storm that shows no sign of lifting or abeiting……… their words NOT MINE.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brisbanebob
ring up oss world wide movers.....Business is booming. They inquired at Palm Beach Centrelink for extra staff (PACKERS) and were provided with 22 extra staff, why?
There's a Centrelink at Palm Beach? :-)

Anyway, we arrived 6 and a bit months ago, I managed to find a job within a week of looking. However, I doubt I would have that kind of luck now... there are still jobs around but much thinner on the ground now.

Best of luck to the OP!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knockoff nige

What is it you do, out of interest?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by dogscogs
There's a Centrelink at Palm Beach? :-)

Anyway, we arrived 6 and a bit months ago, I managed to find a job within a week of looking. However, I doubt I would have that kind of luck now... there are still jobs around but much thinner on the ground now.

Best of luck to the OP!
http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_gc...pp&VenueID=524
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Ah, you see I had Palm Beach in Sydney in my head, hence why I was surprised :-)
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogscogs
What is it you do, out of interest?
IT, there was a good bit more work a few months ago.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo

We arrived nearly 2 months ago and my DH had a job to come to, they even paid us to move
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by kids carer
We arrived nearly 2 months ago and my DH had a job to come to, they even paid us to move
9 days since feb 4th
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zambia
I had a Job in 4 months , no option there for us
Sorry about that! Not sure if I can add in another option after posting the poll?!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillyG
Sorry about that! Not sure if I can add in another option after posting the poll?!
You can't, I can't Poll can edit Polls, that's why she's called Poll

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.