British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 months (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-long-did-take-you-find-employment-if-you-arrived-within-last-6-months-605097/)

GillyG Apr 23rd 2009 12:47 pm

How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 months
 
I have read so many doom and gloom posts about unemployment recently that I thought I'd do a poll to see just how bad the situation is. Please only answer if you have been in Oz for SIX months or less!

Geelong Gent Apr 23rd 2009 7:43 pm

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 
Where are the day options?

GillyG Apr 23rd 2009 7:57 pm

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7508285)
Where are the day options?

That would come under the 4 weeks or less option!:p

knockoff nige Apr 23rd 2009 10:45 pm

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 
I arrive just over 6 months ago and it took me 4 months before I started work. However, I turned down 3 jobs. A friend of mine flew back to the UK because he couldnt find work after 6 months. I know others still looking.

Zambia Apr 23rd 2009 10:50 pm

Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo
 
I had a Job in 4 months , no option there for us:frown:

dinner-dash Apr 23rd 2009 11:19 pm

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 

Originally Posted by knockoff nige (Post 7508841)
I arrive just over 6 months ago and it took me 4 months before I started work. However, I turned down 3 jobs. A friend of mine flew back to the UK because he couldnt find work after 6 months. I know others still looking.

ring up oss world wide movers.....Business is booming. They inquired at Palm Beach Centrelink for extra staff (PACKERS) and were provided with 22 extra staff, why?

OSS relocation consultant explained that so many Brits were returning she could not guarantee collection and shipping dates, so she needed to expand her staff.

They are so confident in business terms concerning the mass exodus of so many brits that they are promoting half a container each for two brits at $5k.

Most brits are returning for personal reasons, they feel isolated during tough job searches and are very concerned about monetary funds dwindling away, and need the security of family and friends during a very stressful time. I see a lot of worried brits who can’t get any benefits during 1st two years and have limited funds.

Most are telling us that they have to go back to UK even though they no its worse than Australia, they just cannot ride out a worsening storm that shows no sign of lifting or abeiting……… their words NOT MINE.

dogscogs Apr 24th 2009 12:05 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 

Originally Posted by brisbanebob (Post 7508903)
ring up oss world wide movers.....Business is booming. They inquired at Palm Beach Centrelink for extra staff (PACKERS) and were provided with 22 extra staff, why?

There's a Centrelink at Palm Beach? :-)

Anyway, we arrived 6 and a bit months ago, I managed to find a job within a week of looking. However, I doubt I would have that kind of luck now... there are still jobs around but much thinner on the ground now.

Best of luck to the OP!

dogscogs Apr 24th 2009 12:07 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 

Originally Posted by knockoff nige (Post 7508841)
I arrive just over 6 months ago and it took me 4 months before I started work. However, I turned down 3 jobs. A friend of mine flew back to the UK because he couldnt find work after 6 months. I know others still looking.


What is it you do, out of interest?

dinner-dash Apr 24th 2009 12:11 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 

Originally Posted by dogscogs (Post 7508982)
There's a Centrelink at Palm Beach? :-)

Anyway, we arrived 6 and a bit months ago, I managed to find a job within a week of looking. However, I doubt I would have that kind of luck now... there are still jobs around but much thinner on the ground now.

Best of luck to the OP!

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_gc...pp&VenueID=524

dogscogs Apr 24th 2009 1:25 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 

Originally Posted by brisbanebob (Post 7508992)

Ah, you see I had Palm Beach in Sydney in my head, hence why I was surprised :-)

knockoff nige Apr 24th 2009 1:36 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment?
 

Originally Posted by dogscogs (Post 7508984)
What is it you do, out of interest?

IT, there was a good bit more work a few months ago.

kids carer Apr 24th 2009 2:03 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo
 
We arrived nearly 2 months ago and my DH had a job to come to, they even paid us to move:thumbsup:

dinner-dash Apr 24th 2009 2:35 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo
 

Originally Posted by kids carer (Post 7509170)
We arrived nearly 2 months ago and my DH had a job to come to, they even paid us to move:thumbsup:

9 days since feb 4th

GillyG Apr 24th 2009 5:36 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo
 

Originally Posted by Zambia (Post 7508853)
I had a Job in 4 months , no option there for us:frown:

:o Sorry about that! Not sure if I can add in another option after posting the poll?!

moneypenny20 Apr 24th 2009 8:10 am

Re: How long did it take you to find employment? If you arrived within the last 6 mo
 

Originally Posted by GillyG (Post 7509447)
:o Sorry about that! Not sure if I can add in another option after posting the poll?!

You can't, I can't ;) Poll can edit Polls, that's why she's called Poll :lol:


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.